some people should not be allowed to touch engines

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

some people should not be allowed to touch engines

Post by rfoll »

I picked up a 4 bolt 350 4 miles from home for $50 with a promise if it was bad I would get my money back. It was clear someone had been there before because of the thicker head gasket. The bore measured right at 3.995, and the pistons that could be removed, (the ones not suffering from an extended water bath), were in excellent condition and very snug in their bores. What a shame, so much for storing engines under a tarp. With a refund in hand, I decided to pull the crank out to see if I could recoup my time with something usable. It was not to be, as it had spun 2 rods, effectively ruining a set of the nice heavy stock rods. I noticed 350 R10 written on the end of the crank, and sure enough, it was assembled with standard bearings. Some people should not be allowed to touch engines.
So much to do, so little time...
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Re: some people should not be allowed to touch engines

Post by bigjoe1 »

Two or three times in my life, I started up an engine for the first time on my dyno, and there was an oil pressure problem. Once the guy stopped before I beat on it, but two times, the guy said Go ahead, let her rip.. NOT GOOD ! In all three cases, they had the wrong size bearings, like you just saw.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

In my 20+ years as a machinist I can relate to your story and tell quite a few of my own. I remember a guy that thought it was a good idea to port heads with an acetylene torch and the guy that bought in a block for me to hone a little bigger because he had to pound the pistons into the bore with a hammer. Yes some people should not touch engines.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I have worked as a parts manager at a few car dealerships and in this one place they had a new machanic start one Monday morning and I new it was going to be a full on disaster as soon as I layed eyes on him, you know the type!

The first job they give him is a tire roation, tune up and oil change, so he comes to my parts counter and I give him the tune up stuff and oil and tell him to wait 3 minutes and I will get some more oil filters out of my over stock location. Mind you that I had already seen him drain the oil and drop the filter.

I get back to counter with the filter and he's running the fucking motor! and I scream to over at him what the hell are you doing running the motor with no filter on it , and his reply to me "was getting all of dirty oil out of the motor" with a look on his face like I was the Asshole!!! Needless to say he was out of a job within 20 minutes thank God!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Biteme
Pro
Pro

Post by Biteme »

A freind of mine bought a motor, put it in his car then rang me saying it's got real bad piston slap. I went and had a look and every time he accelerated the noise was horrendous. He needed the car to get to work so drove it that way for a few weeks until he had time for me to pull a head and have a look. Sure enough, 0.020 pistons in 0.030 bores! :D
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

A friend just this week started in on some minor work on a customer's "ready to go" short block. Actually, not quite ready: among other issues one bank's pistons were 0.035" out of the holes. With the blocks squared away, he's now waiting for custom 0.090" SCE gaskets... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

This will be a long thread!
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

Had a guy call me back in the winter. He purchased a crate motor (SBC)off internet. Started it and oil pressure was down. He yanked oil pan and placed the M55 oil pump and installed a 55HP. Said it was some what better but not what he wanted. Yanked pan again and installed a 55HV. He said this really helped until motor got hot. He called me for Big Block 77hv set up for a small block. I asked no question and I had one with the shaft. He said this really fixed it and proceeded to drive for about a week but engine got yto knocking and he shut it down. Then is when he brought it to me. Tore down. Had .001 bearings and crank turned .012 and was a 305 crank in a 350 and not balanced. He said they told him it would rev faster with the lighter crank.
reed
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Plastigage isn't all that expensive, is it?
vht

Post by vht »

I work at a Ford dealership, had a boy changing oil and he wasn't stout enough to tighten the filter, had several come back, and even had to go to peoples houses and take oil and clean up the mess. He wanted to work on cars he said, so they told him to install a exh hanger on a F350. Next day we found the hanger, when asked about it, he had installed a coat hanger on the exh. He twisted 8 lug nut studs off one day with a breaker bar and pipe. Lucky that someone walked by and told him he was turning them the wrong way, or he would have twisted them all off.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

So what does R10 signify to say to you that bearings are wrong? The rods are 10 under? Aren't some 350s labeled as R10 for the application? I've seen them marked as such. What made you positive it was one and not the other? Thanks.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

midnightbluS10 wrote:So what does R10 signify to say to you that bearings are wrong? The rods are 10 under? Aren't some 350s labeled as R10 for the application? I've seen them marked as such. What made you positive it was one and not the other? Thanks.

I assumed he meant that it meant the crank was ground 0.010" under.

Sounds logical to me.

Also those are some funny stories, anyone got any more.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Somewhere in the S/T archives there is a "Top This Turd" thread I started, with a hundred more such stories..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

As a young kid I was putting an engine together with my dad. Well, the speed shop sold us thing new-fangled 9 keyway timing set. That meant that there were 18 different markings on the crank gear. Well I learned after firing up the engine that when the cam is off three teeth you are going to have some valves kiss the pistons. Luckily I learned from my mistakes and I would not put a lawn mower engine together without degreeing the cam. LOL We all live and learn. Sometimes it is just more expensive than others.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

MadBill wrote:Somewhere in the S/T archives there is a "Top This Turd" thread I started, with a hundred more such stories..
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42408&p=536012#p536012
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.