Plug readers please!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jtb032295
Plug readers please!

Post by jtb032295 »

So here's a few pics.. 355, 3310 carb, timing set a 35* locked, 93 octane pump fuel, Autolite 26 plugs. Disregard #8 in the lineup pic, I had to change a plug after the heat and a junky used one was all I had.. The actual #8 plug is the one that is cut at the threads.

I've read that the "black oxide" finish plugs are not desirable for plug reading due to the lack of burn off around the base circle/threads.. I do plan to switch ASAP..

Thanks guys! Any input is appreciated!! I'm very new to plug reading but I'm trying to get a grasp on it.. I'll save someone a breath by saying I have been ALL OVER the internet reading about this topic lol :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Plug readers please!

Post by FC-Pilot »

WOW, a 26 is a hot plug. If I have to use a cheap plug for a performance SBC I usually start with a 24. 25 is what comes in the chevy trucks that had marginal performance and low compression. What are the rest of your engine specs and what is the application?

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Get a plug that you can read the shell on first. But you already knew that.

Unless you have a stocker, that's a hot plug. Looks to me like you have it very fat at idle and mid throttle, to keep it from killing itself at WOT.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

statsystems wrote:Get a plug that you can read the shell on first. But you already knew that.

Unless you have a stocker, that's a hot plug. Looks to me like you have it very fat at idle and mid throttle, to keep it from killing itself at WOT.
WoW how can you tell what it is its at idle or mid rpm?
Looks like 4 and 7 are a little lean others re marginally lean and 2 are just right are you using a dual plane? I would go 2-4 jet sizes up depends on whether its an open plenum or not as to which corner if its a dual plane make the leanest plugs just right and let the rest go mildly rich.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Idle looks rich like said, wot bit lean.

What's your comp? I use 26 in a car but it's like barely 8:1
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

wb o2 guage
and pyrometer
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

gvx wrote:
statsystems wrote:Get a plug that you can read the shell on first. But you already knew that.

WoW how can you tell what it is its at idle or mid rpm?
Looks like 4 and 7 are a little lean others re marginally lean and 2 are just right are you using a dual plane? I would go 2-4 jet sizes up depends on whether its an open plenum or not as to which corner if its a dual plane make the leanest plugs just right and let the rest go mildly rich.

The base of the ceramic has a fuel ring. That is WOT. As you move towards the other end you see idle and mid range. That's how I look at them. But you have to have a plug that you can read the shell. When the plug is hot it makes everything hard to do.

Many people use a plug that is too hot and jam a bunch of fuel through it to keep it out of detonation.
jtb032295

Post by jtb032295 »

Well my comp is around 10:1 and I guess I should've started tuning with a colder plug.. From what I can tell with my magnifying scope, there is signs of slight detonation in the form of slightly peppered porcelain. No silver specs are present.

As far as the WOT fuel ring, how does it look? And what should I be looking for? I've heard a dark line, a tan line, 1/16", 1/8"? What is the correct thing to be looking for?

This IS a circle track motor, sorry for not mentioning that earlier guys..

I do plan on going 2 steps colder with the plugs.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

The problem with autolite is sometimes they look peppered out of the box, not that I'm saying you don't need to go 2-3 plugs colder! You may just have to mod your metering blocks to clean up that idle.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
jtb032295

Post by jtb032295 »

Plug comments are still welcomed! Any input is appreciated!

Also, I am switching to NGK plugs and I'm looking for a heat range recommendation.. Since Autolite has no way to compare heat ranges, what NGK heat range should I start with? My guess is 7's but I'm not sure..

Thanks guys!
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

You can try this for a comparison but be aware I used it but the plugs that it had for me did not match the plugs that I had
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Timing set at 35 deg locked?
What does that mean?

So in lower revs it' s got too much timing so it detonates.
And makes the plugs look like it's detonating?

Why would someone want to lock the timing?
It doesn't make any sense.
First post.
Amilcar
Pro
Pro

Post by Amilcar »

joe 90 wrote:Timing set at 35 deg locked?
What does that mean?

So in lower revs it' s got too much timing so it detonates.
And makes the plugs look like it's detonating?

Why would someone want to lock the timing?
It doesn't make any sense.

First post.
Be prepared to be shoot in the head after this...
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Amilcar wrote:
Be prepared to be shoot in the head after this...
What else can you expect of the people from The land of the long white cloud LOL :lol:
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

Slightly rich mixtures around the plug insulator nose can deposit some soot products very finely. If you look at it under magnification, it can look similar to peppering. Projected insulator plugs are worse about this. I've noticed on the AR133s I've used, the insulating ceramic actually appears to have a sparkly appearance if you catch the light right. It can make your heart skip a beat for a second if you catch that when you are working up your timing and mixture! :shock:

If you are doing WOT testing only, then I'd say your base fuel ring is right at the leanest I'd be comfortable with personally. I'd probably throw a jet sizes or two in it and see what it does.