Arao Cleveland heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Arao Cleveland heads

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I don't know if this is new, but it is the first time I saw it.

http://www.araoengineering.com/Ford/clevelnd.htm

I seems Arao is still at it, with a Clevlend head now. I must say it looks a lot cleaner than the Chevy stuff he made before.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Really nice looking heads with great flow numbers. Wonder how many 351C heads they will sell?

Seemed to be some descrepency in the SBC dyno sheets, both pulls had C-3 heads and 50+ Horses from a jet change with vertually the same torque?
Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by Bos's5.0 »

I'm pretty sure he's had those on there awhile now.
As for sales, these things are total internet vaporware...
I don't know of anyone running a set but several people who pluncked down cash and got jack squat.
unstable bob gable

Post by unstable bob gable »

AFAIK he has offered the Cleveland stuff all along. I did notice that the website was updated 9-13-05. That is the first "movement" I've seen on the website in many moons.
The heads are def {urban} legendary. But at least I know mine exist... :lol:
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

So what is the deal with this Aroa guy? Is he someonelthat likes to make things once and then loses interest? Mayby the stuff gets a lot of interest but doesn't really sell.

I have been considering making something like that for years but I don't see anyone making money with anything similar. Does anyone have any insight as to whether a four valve head like this could sell if the price and quaility were good and the delivery were reliable?
bobqzzi
Expert
Expert
Post by bobqzzi »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:So what is the deal with this Aroa guy? Is he someonelthat likes to make things once and then loses interest? Mayby the stuff gets a lot of interest but doesn't really sell.

I have been considering making something like that for years but I don't see anyone making money with anything similar. Does anyone have any insight as to whether a four valve head like this could sell if the price and quaility were good and the delivery were reliable?
Not that I'm an expert at all, but it seems to me making a modern 4 valve head for an antiquated engine doesn't make any sense. Serious racers no doubt run to class rules that specifically disallow this type of thing.

Making a set for a current production engine seems to make more sense- as I previously suggested V10 viper or Ford..or GM LS engines- maybe you could get the Corvette guys to spring for them..and if enough sold the price could come down to where some of the millions of other LS owners would be interested.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

making a modern 4 valve head for an antiquated engine doesn't make any sense. Serious racers no doubt run to class rules that specifically disallow this type of thing.
The two blocks I am considering are:

The LS1 because it is current and there are enthusiasts. Problem is I doubt that it would fit in any chassis.

The 460 Ford because it is big and would be unique. there are already small 4 valve V8s.
mdross1
Re: Arao Cleveland heads

Post by mdross1 »

Going to call Arao today and see what gives.Looking to build a 700+ hp small block for motorcycle.Using conventional heads 15,18,23 degree makes getting there somewhat of a challange,these heads make getting there a breeze or so I have read.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

mdross1 wrote:Going to call Arao today and see what gives.Looking to build a 700+ hp small block for motorcycle.Using conventional heads 15,18,23 degree makes getting there somewhat of a challange,these heads make getting there a breeze or so I have read.

What kind of motorcycle? Can it really use 700HP?

I had one of those V8 motorcycles pass me the other day on the freeway, I have to admit a V8 sounded cool but I doubt that the chassis could handle even 300HP.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
colebalster
Pro
Pro

Post by colebalster »

Good luck finding a machine shop that is willing to properly build and setup an ARAO 4v motor. It's nothing short of a huge pain in the ass. Block clearancing for pushrods, head clearancing, rocker geometry is HORRIBLE and good luck finding an acceptable single spring that when multiplied by 2 will put you where you need to be. I certainly hope that they have redesigned the shaft rocker system for better strength and reliability. a good friend has worked with them since the early days, but now refuses to lose his ass building something unique and interesting with these parts.

Cole
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa »

mdross1 wrote:Going to call Arao today and see what gives.Looking to build a 700+ hp small block for motorcycle.Using conventional heads 15,18,23 degree makes getting there somewhat of a challange,these heads make getting there a breeze or so I have read.
You might want to do some googling for Arao "customers" first.
Mike S.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Under no circumstances should you ever give Arao actual cash.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

There was a magazine article comparing the AROA 4 valve head to some SBC aftermarket head some years back - where if I recall, the head made about 100 horsepower more than the 2 valve head. The engine build used exactly the same cam for both head designs, a mistake in my opinion.

Troy Patterson ++ TMP Carbs ++
bmcdaniel
Pro
Pro

Post by bmcdaniel »

From a not-to-distant thread on another forum with pics, a guy actually has an engine together with them. Don't think he's run it yet, though.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8 ... ong-3.html
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru

Post by Troy Patterson »

bmcdaniel wrote:From a not-to-distant thread on another forum with pics, a guy actually has an engine together with them. Don't think he's run it yet, though.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8 ... ong-3.html
That thread and a number on this forum illustrates what is WRONG with this country. Arao's shop was a half block from my shop in LA and although I had not done any business with him and can not comment on that aspect, it was clear to me that he like any other small business in California or the US seemed to be doing the best he could in a VERY hostile and heavily regulated business environment envirnoment. Those of you who do not or have not lived in California or much worse yet, Los Angeles have no idea the environment that exists there. Corruption is the rule. You only need to look at how many companies have escaped California and are still doing so. Great state for golf courses and wineries apparently - if you can afford $650,000 for a small 2 - 3 bedroom house with no land and a one car garage. It just happens to be my state, but I digress.

There are way too many people misled by marketing sharks, internet astroturfing businesses, propaganda and liars looking to gain something by trashing others. Sure, take your carb out of the box and beat a well tuned carb =D>

Troy Patterson ++ TMP Carbs ++
Last edited by Troy Patterson on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.