SB CHEVY RETAINERS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nevdos
Pro
Pro

SB CHEVY RETAINERS

Post by nevdos »

Just wondering if anyone knows how far you can change installed height with just a retainer/lock change?if so i need a part number for a small chevy valve retainer or lock package that will increase my installed height?i need .050" or more if possible.maybe even a lock thats moved up?
this is with 1.25" diameter spring package.
thanks
judgement_impared

Post by judgement_impared »

+.050-.060" installed height locks are pretty common.
travlinman572

locks

Post by travlinman572 »

Do You have a jegs catalog? If not they have a website. :lol:
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-Crane #99095-1 is supposed to be a 7degree lock for 11/32" stems and to install +.050".

-try google search for +.050" valve locks
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

+ or - .050 square groove locks are easy to get, try CV products, they should have them for 7 or 10 degree retainers. It may be possible to get retainers + .050 as well, they used to be available but haven't checked lately.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Post by Racerrick »

What height are you trying to achieve? Stock sbc heads with V retainer is around 1.70-1.75 depending on how sunk the seats are. I use Crane 7deg machined locks up to 500 open and they make + .050 locks that work well.
nevdos
Pro
Pro

Post by nevdos »

i am justlooking for a plain 11/32 stock type (non jumbo lock)7 degree retainer with a lock that will give me as much i can get .lol. i need about 050"-060" more installed height to get where i would like to be at.cam is mild hyd roller at only 480"(-208-214 @050") lift with stock type 1.5 rocker .so i need some more seal to retainer clearance is all.i hoped it would be easier to get it by the lock or retainer method than cutting down guides, as engine is all together.can yopu run both the +050" lock and a +050" retainer?will it sink valve stem to deep and cause rocker clearance issues?
thanks
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Post by Racerrick »

I have machined aftermarket retainers shorter many times. I prefer the Isky steel retainers. Manley or Delwest super7 titanium. I never use 10 deg on anything. I shorten the retainer till the lock is flush at the bottom, when they are install on the valve. Yes you can use both +.050 isky components, not to sure about other retainer combos. Imo some retainer have the locks too deep in the retainer and I don't like that so I don't use them. It my belief that the top of a valve lock should not be below the top of the any retainer.