Small block chevy combo help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

urbanhunter44

Small block chevy combo help

Post by urbanhunter44 »

Here's my situation:

I've got a 72 Nova with a 355, brand new rotating assembly but mediocre parts. Runs fine just really, really slow. TH350 trans, gears will be decided at the end, probably 3.55s.

I'm trying to put together a new top end that'll get me through summer and Hot August Nights then I'll put together a 383 bottom end in winter.
So with that in mind I'm trying to buy parts that'll work fine with the 383 later and I'm stuck on the cylinder head and carb choice.

This is the most knowledgable forum I've found so I figured I'd pose my question to the guys that can say "been there, done that."

I don't have a ton of money but I've always heard "buy the best heads you can afford" so my budget for assembled heads is about $1500.

I've found a few in my price range that I thought would work well, remember these are going to go on a 383 (possibly 400?) eventually so I wanted to get the right runner size to feed THAT motor, not the 355 they'll temporarily be sitting on.

So here are the choices I've found, I don't have personal experience with any of them though so I was hoping someone could help me decide:

Dart Pro 1 Aluminum heads 64cc Chamber, 215cc Intake Runner - $1319 from Summit

Trick Flow Super 23 Race heads 67cc Chamber, 215cc Intake Runner - $1536 from Summit

Canfield Aluminum heads 65cc combustion chambers, 220cc intake runners - $1379 from Canfield

As for choice of carb I was totally unsure since I've largely only messed with fuel injected setups until now. Suggestions are welcome. I'm unsure on the cam as well, don't want to get the wrong one. I under cammed my last car and I regretted it. I want to go "off the shelf" for the 355, I don't mind ordering up a custom for the 383 though.

My goals with the 355 setup would hopefully be 400rwhp and I'll see where that takes me. 383 I'd like to see 450rwhp and some spray on the side. This is a 99% street car, might go to the track once a year.

Any help or suggestions on my combo will be highly appreciated.
Solid LT1
Post by Solid LT1 »

I would check out the AFR Eliminator 195cc CNC heads if your upgrading to a 383 later on. They will run OK on the 355 and work well with any cam around 500-600 lift.
lasermike

Re: Small block chevy combo help

Post by lasermike »

urbanhunter44 wrote:Here's my situation:

I've got a 72 Nova with a 355, brand new rotating assembly but mediocre parts. Runs fine just really, really slow. TH350 trans...
why don't we start with the drive train as it is now, tell us in detail all about it
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

355 buildup

Post by bigjoe1 »

You have to know somebody to get a 355 that can make 400 wheel HP. It wont be a dayly driver. Getting more realistic, 400 HP is a nicer driver, and you might be able to do it yourself. The AFR 195 street elimunatorrs are the best bang forr the buck. These will also work well when you go bigger with the 383 combo. A few years ago, I did a 383 for Hot Rod mag that was 615 HP, to give you some idea of their potential. You also have to get the right parts in your shortblock to support thie kind of HP.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
urbanhunter44

Post by urbanhunter44 »

I honestly hadn't looked into AFR too much, I just assumed their prices would be out of my range.

Is this the one you're talking about:

AFR SBC 195cc Street Heads, L98 angle plug w/heat riser, 65cc chambers, complete w/parts. Part number 1040? It's right about 1500 assembled. If they have that much potential I'll go with them for sure.

Any recommendations for a camshaft for the 355 and which carb to use? If I have to lower my goals that's no problem, also the car is not daily driven, it's a "weekend warrior." Streetability isn't too big of a factor.. I have a friend running around 650 hp in a 454 in his Camaro and it seems tame to me to give you an idea of what I consider streetable.

As for the rest of the drivetrain it's a built up TH350 (a 400 will take it's place) and a stock 8.5" 10-bolt. I've got a new posi on order for it. The rotating assembly was a cheapie rebuild, one reason I'm dumping it after Hot August Nights. I believe it was a summit kit. Gears and a converter will be chosen after I'm sure of my engine combo.

Thanks for your replies guys, this is only my second major engine build up so I've got quite a few questions.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

engine combo

Post by bigjoe1 »

A 350 trans will be faster in your car than a 400. The quality and performance of the AFR heads is hard to beat. Two things though , with a 350 engine, you wont have any compression with flat top pistons, on a 383. it works out real good, about 11-11.5 to one. With 450 HP, a car like yours could run 11.5 at 115-116 mph(the 350 engine) 535 HP would get you in the high 10 second zone at 122-123. Just something to shoot for.

urbanhunter44

Post by urbanhunter44 »

I was worried about the longevity of the TH350 behind the 383 thats why I was going to do the swap to TH400. The receipt for the build on it says "B&M Stage 2" if that helps.

Those are the exact numbers I was hoping to get Joe! :D I need to figure out what to use for a camshaft now
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Post by Racerrick »

A properly built turbo 350 will last at the 650 hp level. I have a customer with 3600lb drag only nova with a t350 behind a 650hp sbc. Its been 6 years now.
urbanhunter44

Post by urbanhunter44 »

Did anyone have any camshaft recommendations?
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

camshafts

Post by bigjoe1 »

What type of cam do you want--roller , solid flat tappet or hydralic . Give us some guide lines.

car_fixer

Post by car_fixer »

I am not shure that 1 cam will work well with both combos, so that is a tricky question, but i would rec. a roller cam, as they seem to make more tourque where you can feel it in the ol seat of the pants dyno lol. and i do have a 383 also, when it was 2 355 it was making 400 rwhp, and like 490 something torque, at least the way the guy was running the dyno lol flashed the converter pretty good so it sort of artificially raised that number, as a 383 (under carbed) it puts out 455 rwhp....at the track it runs 10.60's (3255 veh weight) n/a and so far still tuning on it on the bottle (225 shot) it has gone 5.77 in the 1/8 with a 1.29 60 ft..on the rear tires, all through a transbrake equipped turbo 350 so that works out to like 880 flywheel hp...so give a turbo 350 some credit. however since you are going to drive it on the street how much bad manors are you willing to put up with? for example tha cam i have in this car, you dont want to drive on the street much, besides the poor gas mileage (lol) it doesnt run smooth untill almost 3000 rpm, and needs a real high stall that on a street app. would make a ton of heat. not to mention the lift is kind of crazy, with the lash subtracted already, its 0.698 in and 0.701 exh duration is @ 280 and with a 106 lobe sep, it really wants to rev not too good for keeping the neighbors happy lol
urbanhunter44

Post by urbanhunter44 »

Sorry my question was kind of vague. It's currently a hydraulic roller motor and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm somewhat of a novice (compared to the people that post in this board anyway) and starting with a motor that won't need much maintenance (if any) in the way of the valvetrain is probably best. I'll learn my way up with my next motor (the 383).

This is a cam for the 355 only, I don't mind having a custom one ground for the 383. I figure the price savings vs something off the shelf for this motor is money that could easily be used elsewhere.

Streetability isn't a huge concern to me. It is a total street car however not often driven and the poor idle doesn't bother me. Like I said before a friend of mine has a camaro with a 454 putting out around 650hp with a huge cam and it seemed perfectly streetable to me, although he considered it on the edge of what he would attempt to drive on the street. I on the other hand actually enjoy loud, lumpy idles, and all the little things that come along with it.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

camshafts

Post by bigjoe1 »

I do lots of SB Chevy engines that I call--street racers- A very good grind is 236-242 at 050 on 108 centers. My next choice would be the new Comp Cams THUMPER grinds, the middle of the three they offer. It is like 240-250 on 107 centers, These are actually very good street grinds and will rev to 7200 with BEE Hive springs.
car_fixer

Post by car_fixer »

definitly stick with the hyd. roller. and the ones listed above are pretty good choices, just plan accordingly on the converter. good luck and hope you have alot of fun with it!
urbanhunter44

Post by urbanhunter44 »

I've heard the thumper cams in person and they sound good, I've been curious how they ran as no one ever had any track times for them. I know they were specifically designed for a lumpy idle.

As far as taking my motor to 7200 RPM I have a quick question. I know this is probably answered in other threads as it's kind of basic. I've mostly messed with LT1 motors before this (last car was a heads/cam/intake 97 Camaro) and everyone agreed the bottom ends died from high RPM usage more than anything else no matter what the valvetrain.

That could be completely the opposite in my case, that's why I want to ask. If I can reliably spin the motor that high and make some serious power I have no problems doing that if it'll hold. It's a summit rebuild kit with (i assume) late model stock crank/rods. That's all I know about the bottom end. It has 1500 miles.

Will that hold up to that sort of high RPM abuse if I have a proper valvetrain setup?