Side mounted carbs.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jim_ss409

Side mounted carbs.

Post by jim_ss409 »

I'm mounting a set of 4150 Holleys with side hung floats on a tunnel ram. They'll be mounted sideways. I can mount them with the fuel inlet facing toward the front of the car or turn them around so the fuel comes in from the rear. I was wondering if one way was preferred over the other. This is for a drag car with 1.45 second 60' times.
Jim
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

No a good plan. Side hung floats can't handle what would normally be cornering Gs (hence the design of center-hung floats), and depending on orientation, will either flood or starve at launch when mounted sideways.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Call BLP products and ask for the proper float to do this with, I would think coming in to the front would make most sense.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

carbs sideways

Post by bigjoe1 »

Sorry guys. Like on 4224 carbs, the linkage goes toward the rear. I was at Edelbrock when the tunnel rams came out and they made up all the instructions with the carbs the wrong way. Anyhow, they have to go on so the linkage is to the rear of the engine.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Re: carbs sideways

Post by jmarkaudio »

bigjoe1 wrote:Sorry guys. Like on 4224 carbs, the linkage goes toward the rear. I was at Edelbrock when the tunnel rams came out and they made up all the instructions with the carbs the wrong way. Anyhow, they have to go on so the linkage is to the rear of the engine.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
Joe my point was to put the fuel inlet to the front. This will put the linkage in the rear. Sounds like that is the way it should be anyway.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
jim_ss409

Post by jim_ss409 »

Thanks for the responses. My carbs are 4224's and they're working fine mounted in line except that I can't get the rear carb centered over the runners due to a chassis clearance problem. Turning them sideways will get them in a better position.
I've noticed that most people mount these carbs with the linkage and fuel inlet facing forward, probably because it's easier. But it looks like the fuel slosh from hard acceleration might keep the float up and therefore stop new fuel from entering. It looks like that effect would be lessened if the carbs were turned around so that the fuel sloshed up toward the hinge end of the float.
I guess the ultimate solution would be to quit being cheap and convert the carbs over to dual feed bowls with center hung floats. :)
Jim
RayJE Carburetors
Pro
Pro

Post by RayJE Carburetors »

Jim get some centre hung floats and 4 wedged nytrophl floats... 2 LH and 2 RH ... imstall them with the wedge towards the direction of fuel movement and you wont have a problem
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

Usually when racers were still using 4224 carburetors one of the first conversions the carburetor tuner would do is to install center hung bowls, and angled floats that are weighted properly. This makes a huge difference in tunability.
jim_ss409

Post by jim_ss409 »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to convert the bowls and floats over.

By the way, I just happened across a photo of one of Grumpy's early Pro Stock engines and he had the carbs mounted the way Joe described them.