Head Porters: Where did you learn to port Cylinder Heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Floyd
Post by Floyd »

Curtis,

That dust collector is very nice. I'll have to try to make something similar to that. I'm going to give Mondello a call today and get some pieces started up. I'll post up if I ever can get a good set to come out.

Also is there a standard bore I should flow the heads on just for comparision or is it best to just use the bore they will be used on?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It can be addicting for sure. I have spent more than one night - into the morning grinding away after finding a "sweet spot". Nothing like picking up 10, 20 or 30 cfm with a few hours work when you thought the port had nothing left in it.

I recently bought a little head lamp from Harbor Freight (2.99) that I found a big help for lighting. It takes a couple AA batteries and straps to your head. You hardly notice it. And you can tilt it just right to shine into a port. They also make LED models which are even smaller and lighter and brighter.

John
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Floyd,
We do a good bit of work with the gen III stuff. Although I honestly believe I could go without ever seeing one again...great head, but very difficult to make work after a certain point.

Dennis
Floyd
Post by Floyd »

Dennis

How have you been doing on those? PM me if you like.
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

in what respect?
Floyd
Post by Floyd »

airflowdevelop wrote:in what respect?

Mostly power outputs of your customers and if you know the rest of the specs of the car that would also help.

Flow bench numbers would not hurt if you want to share those too.
John Haskell

Post by John Haskell »

Well sice I haven't heard anyone say this yet, I'll ask if any one believes thier spouse can do this ?

Hell yes, they can.

Because we didn't have children, things are somwhat different in our lives. --------- For many years my wife Ruth has done roughing work at night. She is a night person, goes out to the shop after I get to bed and did a real good job. I started her many years ago w/cast iron, standing over her explaining the things she missed, how the grinder should be loaded ect and just led her along. It really didn't take that long due to the fact that she's seen this stuff for so many years and she's in the shop daily doing boy things. She runs the mill now and again if I give her a drawing and pick the tooling, she can read the mic's & make what needs to be made. Keeps the place clean so I can work. --------- pretty good deal !

I'll admit she had an advantge due to her interest in Lapidary, so she has a ton of grinding, shaping equipment, & the eye for jewelry design so it comes honestly. ------ She says people really think she knows everything because she's been around racing since her childhood. (embarrassed)

Only thing is, the last years, Menopause has stopped by and she sweats, has those hot flashes so often, she can't see well enough to do this stuff, but even she enjoyed the work.

Kind of ticked some guys off that she could actually rough cut a pretty decent port. -------- One thing she always asks me is if so in so would get upset if he knew 'I' was working on his parts.

From dis-assembly, looking for the signs & problems she's been taught, she's a real nice asset to my effort.

So look at this from another perspective. 'Anyone', can do this if they are helped along the way and if the speedtalk site can lead someone along, that's what it's really all about.
ADR

Post by ADR »

John
You mean to tell me that a girl has been grinding on my heads all this time :shock:

Dont you dare tell Ruth I said that.....she'll kill me :D
Dale
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

I can't grasp the idea that a GIRL could port heads!!

OK, .. ok just kidding, ..

My girl friend has a great interest in this stuff. I don't think she wants to
grind but all the tech stuff she just loves. She also loves the race track,
can't get enough.

I road race, .. and she's great at doing lap times, .. tire pressure &
tire temps, .. she even helps with set ups on the scales, ..

Curtis
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
raceman14
Expert
Expert

"Billy Bob" Jones

Post by raceman14 »

Truth be known, Jones may not be the best head porter on earth but he is the only one that I know that will share his knowledge, time and years of knowledge for nothing....

Yup nothing...

You are probably better off buying his porting book for little to nothing ( copying costs ), so you can ramp up your knowledge base on all the things he has done that are pertinent to your projects.

I will have to say that my life changed after a spending a week with the "mad scientist of porting" which lead me to the conclusion that I would have to be "the molecule" traveling thru the engine and looking at things as I swirled and tumbled by to be able to think on the same wavelength as Bill.

I have spent a ton of cash chasing that molecule and would have to say the rewards have been few and far between, but every time the sun does shine my way at the track, the first person I think of is "Billy Bob"

Bill Jones is the " ish ", when it comes to anything porting / racing...

Mark
More is always better!!! Most of the time.