REAR SHOCK ANGLES

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

fordtek1

REAR SHOCK ANGLES

Post by fordtek1 »

What is the preferred shock mounting angle for a 4 link car? Straight up or is it ok to lean them in at the top mount? If so, what is the maximun angle to lean them in? thanks......Rick
TopSportsman916

Post by TopSportsman916 »

Rick, my shocks are straight up but lean in some. I think this is standard set up procedures. I want to say they lean in about 10 degrees. We can check it out Sturday if you like. I got the car & an inclinometer.
Chris
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Most drag cars have the shocks verticle but this is not a necessity. When you mount the shocks at an angle the spring rate needed is different and the response to shock valving changes is not as direct. I have seen shocks in drag cars mounted at many different angles including horizontal using a rocker cantelever system. It is not all that important in my opinion.

Ed
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Shock angle

Post by jmarkaudio »

Also something to consider, by setting the shocks at an angle you lose a small amount of travel.

Mark Whitener
BillyShope
Pro
Pro

Re: Shock angle

Post by BillyShope »

Mark has hit upon what is usually the deciding factor. The less shock travel available, the more vertical the mounting. The greater the departure from vertical, the more shock coefficient (stiffer) you need. (Unless...as Ed described...you have some sort of linkage actuating the shock.)
http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope