Nova weight reduction program

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Larry Woodfin

Nova weight reduction program

Post by Larry Woodfin »

During the upcoming off-season, I plan to remove some front-end weight from my 1970 Nova. One area of reduction will be the factory control arms, another will be brakes, and a third will be a fiberglass front end.

My questions are who makes a nice, lightweight control arm designed for a coil over shock and spring. In addition, should I be looking at the QA-1 shock that uses the tapered spring? On the other hand, should I mount a conventional coil over system by building a custom upper mount?

I would also like to hear you experience about brake kits.

My small block Nova runs mid 10’s at 3200 pounds and after the weight reduction program; I expect it to weight about 2800 with driver. This work is in preparation for some Super Street races during the 08 season.

Thanks for your feedback
Larry Woodfin
Novaz

w8loss

Post by Novaz »

Hi Larry
I have done this on my 72ss it stands at 2760# with me 160# in the seat and 5 gallons of fuel
if you pm me your email i can send some more pix and tell you more
Royz
http://users.glowfoto.com/dnewnova
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Post by automotive breath »

Larry,
My limited experience with the QA-1 shock with the tapered spring has
not been good. I feel the spring is too short to store sufficient energy.
Novaz

Post by Novaz »

Larry I used the Detroit speed Koni coil over conversion and had my own custom springs made from hypercoils
Royz
Larry Woodfin

Post by Larry Woodfin »

I do consider that the QA1 spring may very well have "unsual" properties due to the design.

With a race ready weight near 2900 I may be better off with a factory style spring. There is nothing wrong with how the chassis works and I do not want to upset a good combination, just looking to lose some weight.
Bubstr
Post by Bubstr »

Something to consider is, if you remove front weight, the center of gravity moves to the rear. If you remove low weight the center of gravity moves higher. Depending on how much you lose it will change the characteristics of the car. The up side is, it changes it for the better for most.
Older I get the less I know for sure