Port Energy Anomoly?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

digger
Guru
Guru
Re: Port Energy Anomoly?

Post by digger »

HQM383 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:24 pm Video 1 neither head is backing up in flow.
The flow drops sharply at 0.720” ?
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

digger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:30 pm
HQM383 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:24 pm Video 1 neither head is backing up in flow.
The flow drops sharply at 0.720” ?
Sorry, yes it does. Missed that on the chart. Wasn't looking at this.
Screenshot_20240423-120900_Chrome.jpg
But does the thick blue line jump out as a lower hp producing head?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HQM383 on Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Tom68 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:23 pm
HQM383 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 pm
Tom68 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:43 pm

No but the AFR has a smaller intake.
But by his measures the head with the smaller intake valve has the potential to move more air.
And it did at lower engine speeds.

I wonder whether it's the old flow bench doesn't pull as hard as a high revving engine causing the discrepency.
I hear what your saying but what flowbench would? Surely AFR done their due diligence to make sure this wouldn't happen, that a stock head had better hp potential.

Without knowing the ins and outs of the entire test I am dubious of the results. To be the "No BS" YouTube channel he should have spent at least an episode running through the test. What are the goals? What are the variables? What are the constants? How will the test be carried out? How will the data be collected? The list goes on.

Then there is lacking explanation as to why this head will only perform better than stock with tight lsa?
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

You cannot do test like this using a chassis dyno. It’s very hard to control engine temp, oil temp, trans temp, rear end test, and tire temp. All of these can make up the difference. The engine dyno is easier to control things.

I’m going to do a dyno test using stock 823 heads, afr enforcer ls3 heads( if they ever show up), promaxx small bore ls3, large bore ls3 promaxx heads, and maybe two others. Testing two cams a truck Norris and a much larger Texas speed.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:29 pm You cannot do test like this using a chassis dyno. It’s very hard to control engine temp, oil temp, trans temp, rear end test, and tire temp. All of these can make up the difference. The engine dyno is easier to control things.
I've seen 20hp disappear from strapping the car down harder to get more traction on the rollers.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

How many guys saw the HP disappear when they took off their oval port heads and swapped on a pair of Sq. Port heads on a 396 BBC back in the day.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

Not saying DV did this but chassis dynos are extremely easy to manipulate. Years ago back when the Fox body Mustangs were all the rage and chassis dynos were relatively "new" there was a guy in New Jersey who had one in his Shop. He was in the Mustang magazines all the time. His business was selling and installing bolt on speed parts. Superchargers, exhausts, pulleys, etc. A friend of mine worked with this guy and said he would manipulate the dyno to show big gains to customers for every part he installed. He kept the records of each pull and would use that to help sell more parts to other customers. At this time in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic 5.0 Mustangs were all the rage with guys in their late teens and 20's, so business was booming.

Like HQM said above the main way they did it was by how hard they strapped the car down. Really hard stock, not as much after installing the part(s). No one had a clue. He made a ton of money for some years, especially considering he was a young guy in his early/mid 20's and really only knew how to take parts off and bolt them on.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Unity video ties it together.
416ci
Cam is NLA BTR 239/254 .631/.610 114+3

They cut the AFR heads to 62cc, don't know if they were flowed before or after. 72cc from AFR ?

Wrong heads for that motor anyways.

Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Tom68 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:45 am Unity video ties it together.
416ci
Cam is NLA BTR 239/254 .631/.610 114+3

They cut the AFR heads to 62cc, don't know if they were flowed before or after. 72cc from AFR ?

Wrong heads for that motor anyways.

Would have been good if pre dyno he said “DV thinks with the smaller intake valve the cam is wrong and won’t make as much power”. But instead he said “DV thinks 20hp more”.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Not that it means much but here is numbers by AFR,comparing flow numbers is not a great idea but they are not inflated by AFR.
my opinion is they have not achieved anything, they bolt another set of heads on the engine and it runs the same, WOW .
I have done that test more than once with same results.
I have said more than once,it does not matter what brand of AS CAST cylinder head you buy they still need work out of the box.i don't mean chasing flow I mean a smooth curve as Chad and TK have mentioned.
Will be interesting if the cam change does much at the track in the same car,rpm,gear etc.
Screenshot_20240423_181837_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Richard Holdener doesn't have an opinion, he has a dyno. The 2.165/1.590-inch valve combo in this lsa test also responded favourably power wise to a 108* lsa

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1506- ... orsepower/
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

TOSTO RACING wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:57 am
SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:49 pm
TOSTO RACING wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:02 pm
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice first post!

Laugh all you want, it's 100% truth.
You crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Troll
- Paul
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 am Not saying DV did this but chassis dynos are extremely easy to manipulate. Years ago back when the Fox body Mustangs were all the rage and chassis dynos were relatively "new" there was a guy in New Jersey who had one in his Shop. He was in the Mustang magazines all the time. His business was selling and installing bolt on speed parts. Superchargers, exhausts, pulleys, etc. A friend of mine worked with this guy and said he would manipulate the dyno to show big gains to customers for every part he installed. He kept the records of each pull and would use that to help sell more parts to other customers. At this time in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic 5.0 Mustangs were all the rage with guys in their late teens and 20's, so business was booming.

Like HQM said above the main way they did it was by how hard they strapped the car down. Really hard stock, not as much after installing the part(s). No one had a clue. He made a ton of money for some years, especially considering he was a young guy in his early/mid 20's and really only knew how to take parts off and bolt them on.
I know / have been to that (now defunct) shop a few times. We had no complaints but it was another application (not a Mustang, not bolting on parts) and he didn’t turn on the happy knob for us.

For the rest of this thread, I feel like I’m watching grown men conduct a middle school science fair project, in terms of controlling variables and understanding. Oof.
-Bob
RobZ28

Post by RobZ28 »

TOSTO RACING wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:57 am
SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:49 pm
TOSTO RACING wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:02 pm
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice first post!

Laugh all you want, it's 100% truth.
You crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not to stir the pot, but instead of criticizing other peoples efforts for an explanation, why dont you explain whats going on here? Wouldnt being useful instead of condescending be more prudent to your cause? Lets hear it.
CTTGA
Central Texas Third Generation Association
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

HQM383 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:17 am Richard Holdener doesn't have an opinion, he has a dyno. The 2.165/1.590-inch valve combo in this lsa test also responded favourably power wise to a 108* lsa

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1506- ... orsepower/
It’s a wide open throttle dyno test from 3500-6500rpm, of course a tighter lobe separation is going to look good… for a street guy, they’re literally only testing just a little less than half the actual power range.

Like everyone sit back and take a look at what they’re actually measuring on the dyno.
-Bob