Ford Cleveland NASCAR cylinder heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ratu
Expert
Expert
Ford Cleveland NASCAR cylinder heads

Post by Ratu »

I understand that during the 1990s Junior Johnson was involved in the development of a set of cylinder heads for the Cleveland engine for NASCAR application. They were unusual in that they featured straight inlet ports with the pushrods going through them (in somewhat analogous fashion to the famous FE Tunnel Port). The heads were listed in Ford motorsport catalogues at the time. There were pictures of them and they were offered to the public (so they must have had Ford part numbers allocated). The heads were raced in ARCA by Dick Trickle for a while. Then they were banned, so that was the end of them. Some have explained that there was a shortcoming inherent in the design which would have limited the potential and others have taken a different view. Whether the regs banned them, or they didn't meet expectations, the outcome was the same. They were rare then and not around racing now.

Does anyone have pictures or a copy of the old Ford Motorsports catalogue? It would be good to see pictures of these unusual cylinder heads.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Ford Cleveland NASCAR cylinder heads

Post by PackardV8 »

How different were they from the Boss 302" Tunnel Port heads?

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

I can remember Dick Trickle telling me about them when he came to Wi Dells to race one weekend. He sure seemed to think highly of them.
I would love to see a pic of them.
Tom
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Ratu wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:22 pm I understand that during the 1990s Junior Johnson was involved in the development of a set of cylinder heads for the Cleveland engine for NASCAR application. They were unusual in that they featured straight inlet ports with the pushrods going through them (in somewhat analogous fashion to the famous FE Tunnel Port). The heads were listed in Ford motorsport catalogues at the time. There were pictures of them and they were offered to the public (so they must have had Ford part numbers allocated). The heads were raced in ARCA by Dick Trickle for a while. Then they were banned, so that was the end of them. Some have explained that there was a shortcoming inherent in the design which would have limited the potential and others have taken a different view. Whether the regs banned them, or they didn't meet expectations, the outcome was the same. They were rare then and not around racing now.

Does anyone have pictures or a copy of the old Ford Motorsports catalogue? It would be good to see pictures of these unusual cylinder heads.
1995 or 1996 Ford Motorsport SVO catalogs - page number 41 - part number M-6049-T351.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

PackardV8 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:41 pm How different were they from the Boss 302" Tunnel Port heads?

A lot different:
They were aluminum with squarish intake ports having removable centers and no water in the ends with big wide rectangle raised exhaust ports.
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

So they must have taken a different block, cam etc?
Tom
NebrRex

Post by NebrRex »

Ratu wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:22 pm I understand that during the 1990s Junior Johnson was involved in the development of a set of cylinder heads for the Cleveland engine for NASCAR application. They were unusual in that they featured straight inlet ports with the pushrods going through them (in somewhat analogous fashion to the famous FE Tunnel Port). The heads were listed in Ford motorsport catalogues at the time. There were pictures of them and they were offered to the public (so they must have had Ford part numbers allocated). The heads were raced in ARCA by Dick Trickle for a while. Then they were banned, so that was the end of them. Some have explained that there was a shortcoming inherent in the design which would have limited the potential and others have taken a different view. Whether the regs banned them, or they didn't meet expectations, the outcome was the same. They were rare then and not around racing now.

Isn't that about the time the Yates heads came out? If it is earlier than that Maybe contact Ernie Elliott or the Woods Bros. .

Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Hi Walter

Wow! I'm impressed. You certainly didn't waste any time locating a reference for them.

I tried finding pictures on the web using the reference you provided but there isn't anything turning up in my searches. I guess these heads really are very, very rare by now. Did you have previous experience with them?

Do you have a copy of one of the catalogues with any pictures?

Regards

Ratu
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

They moved alot of air about 25-30 more cfm than a Yates. The the removable pushrod insert is about an 1.25" long and shaped like an airfoil. They were an improved tunnel port design but they suffered from the same thing all tunnel ports do, momentum problems. The average runner speed is too slow and the and the pushrod speed is too high.
For a Tunnel port to be successful the height of the port has to be much shorter than the width of the port allowing for reasonable area reduction at the pushrod.
The picture in the SVO catalogue is an unported version, the pushrod inserts are unrefined, so you don't get to see it the way Junior did it.
The valves were quite a bit longer than a Yates heads so weight was a concern.
The valve layout was like an SBC so the intake ports were close together.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

FuelieNova wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:52 pm So they must have taken a different block, cam etc?
Tom
NO, not the block ... used a Cleveland block or Ford race block but,
they were E I I E E I I E port layout, like a Chevrolet, with a dedicated intake manifold, cam core and valve covers; needing custom headers.

I do have all the Ford Performance catalogs back to '93, (up to 2016), in my library.
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Thanks for showing my Tunnel Port engine!
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:14 am
FuelieNova wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:52 pm So they must have taken a different block, cam etc?
Tom
they were E I I E E I I E port layout, like a Chevrolet, with a dedicated intake manifold, cam core and valve covers; needing custom headers.
I would prefer to say it was like a Ford Flat head, Ford & Linc Y-blocks or even the Olds, Cad or Pont. All came before the SBC :)
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

frnkeore wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:27 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:14 am
Tom
I would prefer to say it was like a Ford Flat head, Ford & Linc Y-blocks or even the Olds, Cad or Pont. All came before the SBC :)
Absolutely correct ... the SBC is just the most recognizable to many. ...LOL.
Ratu
Expert
Expert

Post by Ratu »

Hi Walter

Please post the pictures of the head from your Ford motorsports catalogues. I'd really like to see what they looked like. Thank you for this.