NASCAR Truck engies on a road course

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

NASCAR Truck engies on a road course

Post by tjs44 »

I just watched a Ford Truck in Qualifying today turn 10200 and 10400 in Q laps,does that seem normal on a road course like COTA?I know their Yates engine but WOW.Tom
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: NASCAR Truck engies on a road course

Post by hoffman900 »

The pole sitter is doing 8700rpm:

Also, the tv tach seems out of sync or it’s made up? The throttle / brake you see on a lot of tv feeds are just guesses based on gps. No one is publicly broadcasting that info. Even the F1 tv / data stuff you see is only publicly at 3.7Hz.

The straight at COTA is stupid long. The MotoGP bikes are seeing 221mph there.
-Bob
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

Do you think Yates might be turning up the Fords that much more than the Chevy?Tom
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

tjs44 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:53 pm Do you think Yates might be turning up the Fords that much more than the Chevy?Tom
Not at all. The aero, engines, gear ratios, etc. are all pretty much spec and the differences between them all is hundredths of a percent in performance, and mostly related to set up / driver talent.

Pretty sure the Trucks are all spec engines too.
-Bob
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

The truck engines are all LS based built by Ilmor.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Warpspeed, are you saying that the Trucks representing Ford and Toyota are LS based Engines ?? The Only reason i ask is because you used the word
" All " . Mark H.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Yes. All the engine's used in the truck series, regardless of manufacturer, are LS engines.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Thank you sir, but that really is surprising to me. Seems like an IROC in the Craftsman Truck Series ?
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

swampbuggy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:37 am Thank you sir, but that really is surprising to me. Seems like an IROC in the Craftsman Truck Series ?
It’s a driver development series, IMO, it should be mostly spec.
-Bob
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

hoffman900 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:50 am
swampbuggy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:37 am Thank you sir, but that really is surprising to me. Seems like an IROC in the Craftsman Truck Series ?
Why should the series be mostly spec ? What is the reason behind that thought process ??
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Baprace wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:04 am
hoffman900 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:50 am
Why should the series be mostly spec ? What is the reason behind that thought process ??
It’s a cost controlled series which has turned into a driver development series. It bridges the gap from ARCA to the faster cars.

If you want to keep a pipeline of drivers, you need to make it so more people can afford it, and then make it spec so they can focus on racing skills and showcase talent.

The alternative is something like F1, where their feeder series are mostly spec, but you end up with sons of billionaires making it because they can just outspend everyone else. A few got through on talent, and being picked up early on by a factory (so billion dollar corporation instead of dad).

Lots of kids in both open wheel, oval, and motorcycle racing have to borrow money from “investors” that they have to pay back when they hopefully become big (or share a cut of it). Controlling costs helps limit how much they’re in other people’s pockets.

You open the rules up, 2/3 of the field closes up shop, and only the richest win.
-Bob
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I knew they were a spec engine but thought they could still run their own make engines.Tom
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Wow 10,000 you would think that would twist the rear end out of the truck.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

In 2004 the cup engines were turning 10k plus. I was doing the Arca deal with a then 17 year old Kyle Busch. We had a flat tappet Cup engine in the car doing development for the Cup series. We raced Pocono with a 4.33 gear and a .91 overdrive turning 10,400 in every gear. That is until we got taken out near the end, on a restart by a field filler! Lol
That was pretty much the end of an era, as Nascar implemented a gear rule shortly there after.
The RPM flashes you seen in the truck deal were mainly from the poorer quality telemetry vs Cup, and the many obstacles (overhead bridges ect) at the Cota track interrupting the signal.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

BTW, anyone see the end of the Xfinity race?!? 🏁💪🏽