Push rods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Markv1320
Push rods

Post by Markv1320 »

Hello, I have installed a roller cam in my 350 Chevy. I did the half lift check to find my correct push rod. with a checking spring, and no pre load on the lifter I get 7.280 in. I see Comp has a 7.266 in rod. Should I get a longer rod for the added pre load, or go with the Comp 7.266 and let it eat?

Thanks for the help,

Mark
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Push rods

Post by mag2555 »

Well it depends.

Are you going to add some preload so as things ware in you have no noise take place?

In general once the motor gets fully up to temp the valvetrain will naturally load the lifter to about .005” and maybe .008” with a Aluminum rocker.

Any preload will act to shorten the push rod and hence reduce your total valve lift that same amount.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Push rods

Post by ProPower engines »

Just determine the correct length you need and figure that measurement with any preload spec you may need and
make a call to Smith Bro.s pushrods in Oregon. They do custom pushrods for less then the off the shelf parts store prices.
I use their pushrods for any non standard length and 99% of the time if I call in the morning they are on the UPS truck in the afternoon. Can't beat that service since RWB bought Trend they are way slower now then ever before.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors