General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RCJ
Expert
Expert

Solidft to solid roller

Post by RCJ »

I had solid ft that was
500lift 230@.050 on a 107 cl installed 104. Really liked it. Building a similar motor but going a way from a flat tappet to a solid roller. What would the specs be on a roller to give a similar power band.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Solidft to solid roller

Post by Walter R. Malik »

The biggest horsepower reasoning to going to a roller is to be able to achieve a higher lift so, I hope your heads can take advantage of that.
A "street" roller of that same duration will most likely give a higher lift .
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
gregsdart

Post by gregsdart »

Depending on your current valvetrain a roller will help, but each increase in rate of lift will stress every part of the valvetrain more. What parts are you running now? Head type, pushrod, retainers, rockers springs? The more benefit you want to see, the more upgrades tou may need.
1965 dodge Dart, 549 cu in wedge, 8.60 at 156 mph best. 2905 lbs, soon, 8.40s!
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Suggest listing the engine specs and let the experts here guide you.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

You'll have a hard time finding a solid roller to fit your needs. Most off the shelf SR are for race engines. You could do a SR custom cam though. Howards has lobes that will do it.

I would suggest a hyd roller, there are lots of those in the duration and lift that you will want.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The popular comp cams XR street rollers will work real nice.
XR274S-10 or XR280S-10 Be sure to use correct valve springs.
You can install on 104 in C/L if you like. I have also found its good to keep the valve lash a bit tighter than cam card.
.012" ish +/-

If you want a differnt cam LSA than 110deg just call Comp and custom order the cam on what ever LSA you prefer.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Take a look at Mike Jones lobes. Him, others of his caliber can custom tailer lobes, lift, duration for the power you want. As mild as your current cam is you can probably get away with a hydraulic roller, have more area under the curve and make more power everywhere. If your heads will allow the additional lift.

My current cam is 228/232@ .050 .576/.576 110 lsa hydraulic roller. 276/280 @ .006
He has some mild solid roller lobes with similar specs. Fill out the form and let him suggest a cam for you. Have never seen a single customer of his say they lost power or had a bad experience dealing with Mike. Hate being the guy that blows smoke talking others up, but he really is that good. Fill out the cam recommendation form, follow up with a phone call and he will deliver the goods sir.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Bullet & Comp Cams also have custom lobes, listed on their website.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I'm going to rollers on all my street motors. What I'm trying to get an ideal on is, if I'm building a stock convertor, daily driver 268/ 216@ .050 is the biggest cam I'm using. If it has some gear an convertor and is a weekend car 282/224 is the range I will be in. 288/230 on a 107 is the biggest with a smooth power band off idle , after that you can feel the motor " get on the cam". Because a roller can have 282/242 it skews my numbers . Trying to reset my standards.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

That's why I suggested going to a hyd roller. You can get nearly the same adver & .050 timing with those. For example you can have a Howards lobe that is:

268/215, .313 or .333 lobe lift or a 282/229 and 6 different lobe lifts from .300 to .374

Added:
278/225, with 5 lobe lifts from .300 to .350