My CompCams Cam Card ECL Question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tuner
Guru
Guru
Re: My CompCams Cam Card ECL Question

Post by Tuner »

I think it's a prank, just to get a rise out of the OP and see if the he is actually measuring or paying attention. Perhaps the CC tech line guy thought he was being played a little bit and just wanted to play along to see what happens next.
Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

mt-engines wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:38 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:17 am 5 minutes ... really?
The width of a line on a degree wheel is more than that.
.05 X 60 = 3..... 3 minutes
It is half a second … On the minute pointer so it’s not even measurable. 1 minute on a clock every 6 degrees remember.
I don’t know how big of a degree wheel you would need to get an accurate measurement on this error. But I doubt the regular at home engine builder has one
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Monza355 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:40 am
It is half a second … On the minute pointer so it’s not even measurable. 1 minute on a clock every 6 degrees remember.
I don’t know how big of a degree wheel you would need to get an accurate measurement on this error. But I doubt the regular at home engine builder has one
Degree wheel on the crank, lifter bore alignment, cam chain, sprocket runout.

There is no accuracy.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

The more I think about it Tuner, you may be right.
Somebody probably pulling somebody's chain or they have a degree wheel that has a diameter bigger than would fit in any of our shops😂😳
cknight

Post by cknight »

Just guesstimating, but Comp may have paired non-symmetrical intake and exhaust lobes from different design families that have different offsets from seat timing to .050" timing, in order to achieve your requested specs. I wouldn't panic.
cknight

Post by cknight »

Just guesstimating, but Comp may have paired non-symmetrical intake and exhaust lobes from different design families that have different offsets from seat timing to .050" timing, in order to achieve your requested specs. I wouldn't panic.
bigpoppapreston

Post by bigpoppapreston »

cknight wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:12 pm Just guesstimating, but Comp may have paired non-symmetrical intake and exhaust lobes from different design families that have different offsets from seat timing to .050" timing, in order to achieve your requested specs. I wouldn't panic.
The lobes are from different design families.

The intake lobes are QXX. While the exhaust lobes are LXL.
-Poppy
bigpoppapreston

Stingr69 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:18 am The cam card is odd and precise. I would check that cam with a wheel for sure. I assume it was a custom grind? Close to a Crane F-278-2 solid flat tappet but just a bit more exhaust timing. Cast iron exhaust manifolds maybe?

I have an old Isky cam with rounded up valve timing numbers on the card. I guess it was to avoid decimals in the spec from confusing people, but who knows?
It is indeed a custom camshaft. I have quite a bit more exhaust duration because it has full exhaust including tail pipes (long tube headers) but primarily for power to hang on after peak. Thanks
-Poppy
bigpoppapreston

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Poppy
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

What are the odds the crank is even indexed across all cylinders?

As I said, between the cam and valvetrain flexing in a firing engine, and going into and out of resonance, and the crank doing the same, it’s really 5-10* off and which cylinder and when varies.
-Bob