401 sbc ready for the Dyno

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 401 sbc ready for the Dyno

Post by skinny z »

HQM383 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:23 am A bit more on the Progression Ignition.
HQM383 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:47 am
After using the Progression Ignition on the dyno this afternoon I don't know why they are not more widely used (actually I do know why. Fear of the unknown).
Not fear of the unknown exactly but more like fear of an early demise or lack of support. What if I change phones in two years time?
But you've definitely sold me on its functionality.
And I hope coming soon to a SBC near me!

Looking forward to the rest of your testing.
Kevin
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

rgalajda wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:10 am Those heads respond to lift better than I expected. They are the G1 heads?
Yes, they are the G1. Doing ok so far for a modest head.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

skinny z wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:23 am
HQM383 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:23 am A bit more on the Progression Ignition.
HQM383 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:47 am
After using the Progression Ignition on the dyno this afternoon I don't know why they are not more widely used (actually I do know why. Fear of the unknown).
Not fear of the unknown exactly but more like fear of an early demise or lack of support. What if I change phones in two years time?
But you've definitely sold me on its functionality.
And I hope coming soon to a SBC near me!

Looking forward to the rest of your testing.
In the app you set up an account. All the saved tables go to the cloud. If you change phones just download the app and retrieve your tables from the cloud. If technology fails the distributor will always remember the current table sent to it. After the distributor gets the first table you send to it the app is only needed to make changes.
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Looking good should be a nice mid to high 10 second street/strip beast.... =D>

Good luck if your doing more dyno work on the weekend it's going to be a hot one.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

bob460 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:53 pm Looking good should be a nice mid to high 10 second street/strip beast.... =D>

Good luck if your doing more dyno work on the weekend it's going to be a hot one.
Thanks bob. Seems like I’ve overshot the original goal 12 months ago of low 11’s! Time will tell.

No more until Tuesday. Have an rdo then so should get more than the two and a bit hours per day the last three days.

I’m thinking now how to get more rubber under the rear quarters of the ‘Q.

Hot one alright! Air conditioning weekend coming up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HQM383 on Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Swapped the header extensions to 3” and put a decent coil lead on today. Ignition is still being taxed too much up top. No advancement on yesterday’s results. It seemed the Ignition broke down a bit more with the bigger diameter header extensions. Looks like the wishful thinking of staying with the inductive Ignition won’t come to fruition. Back to the dyno with MSD Digital6 on Tuesday.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

HQM383 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:04 am Looks like the wishful thinking of staying with the inductive Ignition won’t come to fruition. Back to the dyno with MSD Digital6 on Tuesday.
That's interesting.
So the MSD box along with the Progressive distributor?

I've an ancient MSD distributor that's only a trigger (no module) and use it with an equally old 6AL box. That's along with a Blaster 2 coil.
Trouble free for tens of thousands of miles and hundreds of WOT blasts to 6500+. (touch wood)
Kevin
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

skinny z wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 am
HQM383 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:04 am Looks like the wishful thinking of staying with the inductive Ignition won’t come to fruition. Back to the dyno with MSD Digital6 on Tuesday.
That's interesting.
So the MSD box along with the Progressive distributor?

I've an ancient MSD distributor that's only a trigger (no module) and use it with an equally old 6AL box. That's along with a Blaster 2 coil.
Trouble free for tens of thousands of miles and hundreds of WOT blasts to 6500+. (touch wood)
Yes, Progressive and MSD Digital6 box.

On Thursday we closed the plug gap .010” and that reduced the top end misfire. Put the 3” header extensions on yesterday and because afr’s were high .7’s/low .8’s took a bit of jet out. First run the misfire at the top end was worse. Put jetting back and misfire still worse than day before. I am hypothesizing that the 3” helped fill the cylinder a little better so the weak spark is fighting a slightly higher cylinder pressure.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

HQM383 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:04 am Swapped the header extensions to 3” and put a decent coil lead on today. Ignition is still being taxed too much up top. No advancement on yesterday’s results. It seemed the Ignition broke down a bit more with the bigger diameter header extensions. Looks like the wishful thinking of staying with the inductive Ignition won’t come to fruition. Back to the dyno with MSD Digital6 on Tuesday.
How's the rotor phasing with full advance ? always worries me with small diameter caps.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:51 pm
HQM383 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:04 am Swapped the header extensions to 3” and put a decent coil lead on today. Ignition is still being taxed too much up top. No advancement on yesterday’s results. It seemed the Ignition broke down a bit more with the bigger diameter header extensions. Looks like the wishful thinking of staying with the inductive Ignition won’t come to fruition. Back to the dyno with MSD Digital6 on Tuesday.
How's the rotor phasing with full advance ? always worries me with small diameter caps.
Thanks for the reminder Tom. Although the rotor doesn’t move to advance the timing I will still check nothing funny is going on with phasing.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

HQM383 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:38 am
Thanks for the reminder Tom. Although the rotor doesn’t move to advance the timing I will still check nothing funny is going on with phasing.
That's my concern with the small cap and programmable ignition, you really need to have the rotor phased at peak torque and below, so say lined up at 32 degrees. When you go to cruise or idle at around 50 degrees it's getting way from the post and of course then there's start retard, I used to put the Holden V8 adaptor and big cap on Bosch Dizzys that were fitted to Fords etc.
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

If you are having issues get rid of the digital 6, renowned for dramas, beg borrow or steal an old analog 6al,
Not hi tech but they work without issue!
The digitals are garbage
Cheers
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

tuffxf wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:54 am If you are having issues get rid of the digital 6, renowned for dramas, beg borrow or steal an old analog 6al,
Not hi tech but they work without issue!
The digitals are garbage
Cheers
Hasn't run the 6 yet.
tuffxf
Pro
Pro

Post by tuffxf »

Ok cool!
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

Tom68 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:07 am
HQM383 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:38 am
That's my concern with the small cap and programmable ignition, you really need to have the rotor phased at peak torque and below, so say lined up at 32 degrees. When you go to cruise or idle at around 50 degrees it's getting way from the post and of course then there's start retard, I used to put the Holden V8 adaptor and big cap on Bosch Dizzys that were fitted to Fords etc.
Agree Tom but the rotor never changes relative to cap post. Timing is changed digitally. I just have to re-check set up procedure.