Howards Hydraulic Flat Tappet Lifters - What In The World?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

patrickonb

Howards Hydraulic Flat Tappet Lifters - What In The World?

Post by patrickonb »

Received these in the mail today. Sending them back out tomorrow, absolutely unacceptable!
You'd think Howards would take a bit more pride in their quality control! These are their #91112
lifters.

Also, checking them on my Fowler gauge stand shows they are totally unsymmetrical around
the circumference. Setting my gauge to zero, I spin the lifter and it will drop to .00325, then slowly
back up to .000 where I started.

From the info I can find from Howards, it's my understanding that they use a 4060" radius as the basis
for the face of their lifters, so their lifters should actually be curved, with the peak being at lifter
center. I can tell by looking at the lifters that these were simply ground at an angle on some crappy
grinding machine, and by someone who could give one ****'s about quality.

Anyway, not impressed at all with their lifters. The damnedest thing is, I have one of their cams on
hand, and it's beautiful quality.

https://ibb.co/vVGGL0s
https://ibb.co/WPVpYMk
https://ibb.co/xJ7SNcR
https://ibb.co/HKrdhHJ
https://ibb.co/GTwj0gm
https://ibb.co/4pQJjXx
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Howards Hydraulic Flat Tappet Lifters - What In The World?

Post by Geoff2 »

That is why you should get some 25 yr old [ or older ] factory [ or aftermarket ] lifters....& have them re-faced. Then you won't have problems with junk lifters....
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Those are really, really bad.
That is why you should get some 25 yr old [ or older ] factory [ or aftermarket ] lifters....& have them re-faced. Then you won't have problems with junk lifters....
For true. My partner, who builds the SBCs, saves the old Delphi lifters with the chilled iron button, refaces them and has never lost a cam lobe.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

What shop or companies offer lifter refacing? I have been doing hydraulic rollers, but I may come up with a job that has to have a flat tapper camshaft.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

PackardV8 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:20 am Those are really, really bad.
For true. My partner, who builds the SBCs, saves the old Delphi lifters with the chilled iron button, refaces them and has never lost a cam lobe.
Think of the tons of gm lifters that were thrown away over the years. Now they are sought after performance parts. Who'da thunk it? :lol:
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

rebelrouser wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:09 am What shop or companies offer lifter refacing? I have been doing hydraulic rollers, but I may come up with a job that has to have a flat tapper camshaft.
We don't seek job work, but if you can't find anyone local to you, we'll do them for $5 plus shipping.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
cpmotors
Expert
Expert

Post by cpmotors »

patrickonb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:06 pm Received these in the mail today. Sending them back out tomorrow, absolutely unacceptable!
You'd think Howards would take a bit more pride in their quality control! These are their #91112
lifters.

Also, checking them on my Fowler gauge stand shows they are totally unsymmetrical around
the circumference. Setting my gauge to zero, I spin the lifter and it will drop to .00325, then slowly
back up to .000 where I started.

From the info I can find from Howards, it's my understanding that they use a 4060" radius as the basis
for the face of their lifters, so their lifters should actually be curved, with the peak being at lifter
center. I can tell by looking at the lifters that these were simply ground at an angle on some crappy
grinding machine, and by someone who could give one ****'s about quality.

Anyway, not impressed at all with their lifters. The damnedest thing is, I have one of their cams on
hand, and it's beautiful quality.

You know Howards doesn't grind or make lifters right? And I'd bet those aren't even made in the USA. Doesn't excuse the quality or the QC they should have, but this isn't exactly a new issue.
rebelrouser wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:09 am What shop or companies offer lifter refacing? I have been doing hydraulic rollers, but I may come up with a job that has to have a flat tapper camshaft.
Debbie Jackson at PPPC in NC offers it as a service.
Pete Graves
CPMotorworks,Inc.
Custom Engine Machining
Cylinder Head Fixture for Vertical / Surfacing Mills since 2008
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Looks like they were done by hand on a bench grinder.
Jim
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

You won't see that issue with our Hydraulic flat tappet lifters, and that's the reason why they're $170 a set.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Apparently………cost does not seem to be a reliable indicator of quality
EA8212D0-1DD4-429F-BD7C-49B90A4453A1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
patrickonb

Post by patrickonb »

CamKing wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:00 pm You won't see that issue with our Hydraulic flat tappet lifters, and that's the reason why they're $170 a set.
OK Mike, I will take you up on that!! I'll order a set of your lifters, I've gone through 3 sets now, and every one
of them have been absolute junk! Isky was by far the best, but even they had some really bad areas.

Thanks,
Patrick
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Maybe if you use this for assembly lube. #-o

https://next.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en ... 915IB.html
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I got a few sets from diff brands, all offsore and look the same(gotta edit that vid). Had to go thru em all to find one decent set. I'll use the worst in a crappy engine that already had a cam failure cause idgaf bout that one.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Just curious. Did you buy these directly from Howards ? Any chance they are an offshore counterfeit ? Unless you purchased them directly from Howards I think I would reach out to them first and make sure that the lifters get back to them directly. I would certainly call them before sending them back.

The whole thing just doesn't sound right to me. I simply cannot imagine them knowingly sending something like that out.

Just my opinion,
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
68maliblue

Post by 68maliblue »

Could be old stock from 2021. During the covid shutdown nobody had lifters. I bought a set from Howard's back then and they weren't even advertised as us made. I sent them back as the chamfer looked a little rough and the surface finish didn't inspire confidence. I talked to the Howard's rep and he was straightforward saying that they had supply issues and didn't have many options. He did say they were North American made but I doubt they were made in Canada. Ended up getting a set of lifters from a friend to finish the project. That said I have been very impressed with their camshafts and have never had an issue with them - quality product.