Engine Enamel Paint for block and Blower

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Tartilla

Engine Enamel Paint for block and Blower

Post by Tartilla »

One of the not so focused topics is engine paint and tech. With all the EPA changes on paints, looking for the best COA for my marine BBCs and blower supercharger.

I can spray HVLP, but rattle cans are pretty good these days, and good for touch ups and color matching in the future.

I want to paint the B&M 420s and intake as well.

Thanks,

Art
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Engine Enamel Paint for block and Blower

Post by mag2555 »

Check out Eastwoods high temp ciramic engine paint.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Tartilla

Post by Tartilla »

I'll have to check out the Eastwood 2 part rattle cans. Harder to get in Canada, but looks like KMS is a distributor.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

My perspective as a metal/body/paint guy for 30+ years. If you want it to last use epoxy primer then a quality automotive refinish single stage urethane. Eastwood is low end stuff. Anything in a spray can is low end. Including those gimmicky 2 part ones. For epoxy, If you use an acid like Ospho for block prep, either neutralize it by re-wetting with the product, keeping it wet for 10-15 minutes then rinsing with water. If you don't or can't do that use self etching primer. Epoxy doesn't adhere to an acid film, like what gets left after using an acid product.
I've never had a failure painting a block using epoxy then a single stage urethane. SPI Epoxy is the best you can use. All I use.

As for brands, PPG Omni and Omni+ are really low end. PPG Concept is good but expensive. Utech if you can find it makes a good single stage. Automotive Art Motocryl is an excellent single stage that is quite affordable. There are others Glasurit 22 is my all time favorite single stage but it's hideously expensive. BASF Wanda has a high quality single stage similar to Motocryl. Good quality and affordable.

I realize that the method I described may be more than you want to invest in time and money but I thought I would post it in case anyone does.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

I use base/clear and single stage paints all the time.

Limco or Diamond is what I prefer to use. On an engine you really don't need the UV resistance. But I have never had a problem with heat.

I prefer a catalyzed paint just because its tougher and dries fast. Seems to resist brake clean also. You won't get that out of a spray can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

How about an alkyd enamel? I know some old machine tools used that for finish. Seems to hold up to oil and dirt reasonable for the abuse they get put through.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

cgarb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:40 pm How about an alkyd enamel? I know some old machine tools used that for finish. Seems to hold up to oil and dirt reasonable for the abuse they get put through.
Sure, they just take forever to polymerize without a hardener.

You can thin out tractor enamel enough and use a catalyst if you want to speed up the process.. I just don't like wet paint for days

Here are some of the cheap paints I use on engines, valve covers, oil pans etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Is it ok to install brass freeze plugs after painted or does it need to be cleaned off 1st?
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I would clean the paint out of the bore the plug goes into.