The truth on bowl sizing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dylan Wilson

The truth on bowl sizing

Post by Dylan Wilson »

Ive been confused here recently over the topic of bowl sizing of a cylinder head, and as i wait for my flowbench to get here and discover for myself, i figured i would pick yalls brain. I have been told both ways of this argument, first that you need to add a bunch of volume to the bowl in order to slow the airspeed down to get better atomization and a better discharge from the short size and valve opening. I have also been told that you need to minimize bowl volume to keep average velocity up approching the throat. So what are yalls tips andtruths about bowl sizing.Feel that both could be true in the end, but overall i feel like you need to retain a taper from the opening if the runner to the throat, what do yall think. :mrgreen:
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: The truth on bowl sizing

Post by BOOT »

Is the same for every head?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

It's a balancing act to try and turn air/ fuel some say make bowl 100 - 105% of valve diameter, some guys blow the bowl out big and install bigger valve to sell flow bench numbers.
There is no correct answer or one size fits all.
You have to test for your application, the only advice I can offer is when you get your bench is don't chase CFM, if the correct size,shape is done the CFM should be there.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Depends entirely on the port shape.
A low port with a big turn angle needs a bigger bowl, a raised runner with less turn angle doesn't need as much bowl.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I hope your flow bench purchase comes with a Pito tube?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

Dylan Wilson wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:58 pm Ive been confused here recently over the topic of bowl sizing of a cylinder head, and as i wait for my flowbench to get here and discover for myself, i figured i would pick yalls brain. I have been told both ways of this argument, first that you need to add a bunch of volume to the bowl in order to slow the airspeed down to get better atomization and a better discharge from the short size and valve opening. I have also been told that you need to minimize bowl volume to keep average velocity up approching the throat. So what are yalls tips andtruths about bowl sizing.Feel that both could be true in the end, but overall i feel like you need to retain a taper from the opening if the runner to the throat, what do yall think. :mrgreen:
Lots smarter guys on here than me, but just what heads I have done and flowed, and then built and run on a dyno, the air speed over the short turn is more important than bowl sizing. If you can use a piece of thread on a welding rod and you can stick that thread flat on a short turn and keep the speed down to 400 fps or a little less is seems like they run good. I have seen a couple CNC heads that would back up at higher lifts and most of the time a little time blending the cutter marks and gently shaping the short turn while keeping an eye on the air speed does the trick.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Well explained in Eric's latest video.

Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Sorry make that pitot tube?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Dylan Wilson wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:58 pm Ive been confused here recently over the topic of bowl sizing of a cylinder head, and as i wait for my flowbench to get here and discover for myself, i figured i would pick yalls brain. I have been told both ways of this argument, first that you need to add a bunch of volume to the bowl in order to slow the airspeed down to get better atomization and a better discharge from the short size and valve opening. I have also been told that you need to minimize bowl volume to keep average velocity up approching the throat. So what are yalls tips andtruths about bowl sizing.Feel that both could be true in the end, but overall i feel like you need to retain a taper from the opening if the runner to the throat, what do yall think. :mrgreen:
Here are the results of an engine builder that did not favor big bowls, there are some images of port molds some where in there as well.
viewtopic.php?t=51911
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

One follow up to this is what % of valve are we defining as Big vs Small?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

I like big bowls...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:22 pm I like big bowls...
You forgot to add "And I can not lie" :D
Please Note!
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Tom68 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:28 pm Well explained in Eric's latest video.

That's my Son's work. We'll see how it does!
Pro question poster.
Wesman07

Post by Wesman07 »

I haven’t seen much benefit in increasing bowl volume. I’m curious about those who have. Does it help the short turn?
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Wesman07 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:59 am I haven’t seen much benefit in increasing bowl volume. I’m curious about those who have. Does it help the short turn?
Good question. If the flow is good at .600 but goes backwards at .650 lift on the flow bench will it do the same thing on a running engine if the velocity is lower in real world? I think I'd rather have 20cfm more at .400 when the piston is pulling hard than a 20cfm gain at full lift. Just guesses here...
Pro question poster.