holley no choke but fast idle option

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

als427
holley no choke but fast idle option

Post by als427 »

Ok , may lose the choke tower or use no choke body for my 4150 to lower air cleaner / hood clearance.
Manual 4 speed. Lot of folks say dont need a choke.
Is there a way to use the fast idle ( with a manual choke cable or otherwise) so I can kick up the rpms for a few minutes once started and warming up?
Prefer a manual adjustment. rather than a solenoid.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: holley no choke but fast idle option

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Old trucks used to have both a manual choke and a manual throttle cable ( fast idle)
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Back in the late 80s, we used what was called a fast idle solenoid on our late model stock car back in the day. We used it for a base idle at 2200 rpms to help our flat tappets live, and shut it off when on track to help with engine breaking.
These fast idle solenoids were used on older carbureted cars with air conditioning to raise the idle when the compressor was energized. You can set one up on a switch much like we did, but for the opposite effect, to raise from your base idle speed during warm ups.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Even into the late 80s GM and many other cars used a electric solenoid to kick up the idle speed when the Ac compressor turned on.

With a switch on your dash you could do the same.

I saw one guys car that used a remote control model airplane flap controller, but they can’t overcome much throttle return spring pressure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

You can easily do as you are wanting with a manual cable. Leave all the choke hardware in place except for the choke plate and the rod going to it. Then use the manual cable just as if it were operating the choke, except it will only be operating the fast idle cam. I have done several as described. Even if the choke tower is cut off, it still works the same.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you already own the performer 2-O I'd try and fit that. Even if with a QJET carb. Use the GM oem 14" drop base L-88 Z28 air cleaner. You can buy just the base GER restoration parts. Jegs. Working choke and fast idle.
Lots of good power on a performer with that cam.
The early pre1975 4mv Qjet is simpler and best for you.
If using a HEI diz trim the back flange of the ac. base to clear the diz cap. not hard.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you already own the performer 2-O I'd try and fit that. Even if with a QJET carb. Use the GM oem 14" drop base L-88 Z28 air cleaner. You can buy just the base GER restoration parts. Jegs. Working choke and fast idle.
Lots of good power on a performer with that cam.
The early pre1975 4mv Qjet is simpler and best for you.
If using a HEI diz trim the back flange of the ac. base to clear the diz cap. not hard.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Dragsinger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:18 pm You can easily do as you are wanting with a manual cable. Leave all the choke hardware in place except for the choke plate and the rod going to it. Then use the manual cable just as if it were operating the choke, except it will only be operating the fast idle cam. I have done several as described. Even if the choke tower is cut off, it still works the same.
Or leave the automatic choke intact EXCEPT for the linkage rod up to the choke plate that doesn't exist any more. The fast idle cam is operated like normal by the auto choke.