Coating Wrist Pin Bores

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PLohr

Coating Wrist Pin Bores

Post by PLohr »

Hello, guys. Has anyone had success with an abradable or other coating for the purpose of bringing wrist pin bores back down to the OE clearance range?

The application is a 2-cylinder engine, a Briggs Vanguard engine. I purchased new OE pistons but I don't want to use them since they lack the basic features of the original OE pistons.

Thank you for any help.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Coating Wrist Pin Bores

Post by PackardV8 »

Carefully measure the ring grooves against the new rings. It would be unusual for the pin bores to be worn past spec without some wear in the ring grooves.

FWIW, back last century, I had an 8hp Briggs single and when I refreshed it, the only areas out of spec were the piston pin bore/rod small end clearances slightly over. Since this was just a home riding mower, I honed the cylinder, new rings, ground the valves and put it back in service. Upon cold startup, I could hear the faint noise in the top end, but when up to operating temp the noise went away and ran that way for another ten years. When the mower was sold, it was still running well; thirty years of hard use on that little B&S aluminum block and the aluminum rod running directly on the crankpin and piston pin.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

If the pin is loose, just use a bigger pin.
PLohr

Post by PLohr »

Jack - That is helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Modok - thank you. Do you know where can I find larger wrist pins for a Briggs motor?
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

PLohr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:17 pm Jack - That is helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Modok - thank you. Do you know where can I find larger wrist pins for a Briggs motor?
Seems it's often a custom deal, to get things how you want em. But if it was off the shelf, then everyone else would do it :wink:
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!