Engine Quest Vortec SBC Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Engine Quest Vortec SBC Heads

Post by BOOT »

Picked up a set of bare EQ CH350C heads, $400 for the set not too long ago. Might use them on my crate vortec since that engine came with oversize valves. Or may just mod n sell them. I already have a set of New take out valves from some Summit vortecs. Prob cut the spring pockets larger n do some mild blending/quick clean up.

Made a video with details on these heads for any interested https://youtu.be/qvAkcTYLN3A

009.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Engine Quest Vortec SBC Heads

Post by Justa1time »

Boot,

I bought a set of these from Competition products bare. I paid twice what you did. They are not a terrible head but a few things to look out for.

I have posted on SpeedTalk a number of times over the trials and tribulations with my engine quest heads. If you search at my posts you will see.

Are yours the New Zealand or Chineese castings?

Be cautious of the casting itself around the chamber areas. Mine had a miniscule Crack tight under the fire ring of the gasket and into the chamber where an imperfection existed & was welded hot at the factory. Thr weld cooled too quickly & cracked the filling.

These heads are the 1.94/1.5 valves seat sizes? Don't trust the valve job they came with. I learned the hard way. Cut new angles. Mine we ported. Not very impressive numbers but that could also be us!

Bryan
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Justa1time wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:11 pm Boot,

I bought a set of these from Competition products bare. I paid twice what you did. They are not a terrible head but a few things to look out for.

I have posted on SpeedTalk a number of times over the trials and tribulations with my engine quest heads. If you search at my posts you will see.

Are yours the New Zealand or Chineese castings?

Be cautious of the casting itself around the chamber areas. Mine had a miniscule Crack tight under the fire ring of the gasket and into the chamber where an imperfection existed & was welded hot at the factory. Thr weld cooled too quickly & cracked the filling.

These heads are the 1.94/1.5 valves seat sizes? Don't trust the valve job they came with. I learned the hard way. Cut new angles. Mine we ported. Not very impressive numbers but that could also be us!

Bryan

Yah they were a good deal, wasn't looking to buy anymore heads but at that price figured it would be easy to sell em if i didn't wanna keep. These are New Zealand cast and 1.94/1.5 valves, VJ is meh but checked contact on the valves good. Not a fan of local M-shops and shipping these would $uck, so we'll see. Thanks for sharing your experience with them :D

Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Boot

I can't blame ya. For $400 I'd happily buy those.

Bryan
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

I bought a pair of EngineQuest Vortec-for-TBI heads--they had the exhaust crossover and TBI-style intake bolt pattern.

The valve tips weren't even. I got conflicting advice on this forum, chose to send 'em back. Maybe I should have kept 'em.
EngineQuest_G_Valve_Height_03.jpg
EngineQuest_G_Valve_Height_02.jpg
EngineQuest_G_Valve_Height_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Schurkey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:18 pm I bought a pair of EngineQuest Vortec-for-TBI heads--they had the exhaust crossover and TBI-style intake bolt pattern.

The valve tips weren't even. I got conflicting advice on this forum, chose to send 'em back. Maybe I should have kept 'em.
Are those two exhaust valves, then maybe they just used slightly diff length exh valves, I've done it. Jugging by the spacing, it looks like the center two exh valves. Even looks like they have a diff lock-groove/retainer height, so again makes me think diff exh valves.

Would be more worried bout if the spring install height isn't consistent enough(for all int or all exh). I got heads that the install height slowly grows from one side to the other but that's what shims are for and why you gotta check all of them.

One of the many things I mention when people talk bout matching the chambers CC size. How do you know every else is matched??? The cam straightness in the block, or lobes for each cylinder and a million other differences in the engine cylinder to cylinder. If you were anal, you'd have diff length pushrods for each valve. So unless you got F1 money, not even NASCAR has the same HP output per cylinder(according to an engineering vid I watched).

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Yes, all the exhaust valve tips were low, and all the exhaust valve heads in the chamber seemed too high.

OTOH, the intake valves seemed sunk into the port.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Schurkey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:18 pm I bought a pair of EngineQuest Vortec-for-TBI heads--they had the exhaust crossover and TBI-style intake bolt pattern.

EngineQuest_G_Valve_Height_02.jpg

EngineQuest_G_Valve_Height_01.jpg
Still had the high Vortec roof at the manifold face, or was that lowered to match the TBI manifold ?
If TBI height the flow numbers would be interesting.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Total Vortec head/port/chamber, but with an exhaust crossover (the way GM should have made them to begin with, instead of that craptastic external EGR tube) and the TBI bolt pattern machined on the intake-gasket face.

They would have saved me a lot of trouble if the valve job had been done "right".