General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Sleeving BBC gen 5 and 6 blocks

Post by ProPower engines »

Hey guys
I see alot of marine business and the GM 502 blocks seem tough to get.
Has anyone ever sleeved these 454 blocks successfully by putting in larger bore sleeves to get to 4.466" bore??
This would be std. bore for a 502
A have lots of blocks in stock and guys want to build marine engines but want the larger displacement.
And yes I know cranks can be had with 4.250 stroke to correct the issue but why I am thinking of the sleeving the blocks
is the gen 5 blocks have a fuel pump mount and saves the very costly raw water pump adapter setup to belt drive the fuel pump thus saving about $1500 on the pump set up and another $800 on a good steel crank.

Does anyone think this can be done reliably with a flanged style sleeve?? The time to sleeve the block will take a days shop time to bore and install the sleeves then rough bore to .006 from finished size for honing with a T/plate.

Theses are not high power output maybe 550 hp max but insurance companies are having a hard time covering claims with the cost and availability of a Dart or other aftermarket replacement blocks and the extra time and cost involved with a new block. Cylinder heads are no issue with the insurance companies to replace as the BBC heads are almost throw away's because of water reversion and valve failures.
The lower power engines use the late vortec head with peanut ports and non adjustable valve train but they are tough to find as cores regardless and new from GM they are more money then Dart etc. And the VT upgrades don't fly with the insurers for studs guide plates rockers and pushrods ect

With the weather we had a couple weeks back I have 7-8 freeze ups with busted blocks.

To put this in perspective a dressed long block from Mercury marine is about 50K for the basic 502 marine engine so you can understand my consideration for choosing this route.

Opinions or suggestions and other technical input welcome :D :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors