SBM Trick Flow Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cwj1212
SBM Trick Flow Heads

Post by cwj1212 »

I got my first look at Trick Flow CNC 190 heads for SBM today, and I must say I was not prepared for what I saw in the intake bowl behind the guide. It looks sort of like a swirl port Chevrolet head. Nothing like stock SBM heads or the Edelbrock style. Can someone enlighten me on the reason for the funky bowl? Is this a swirl/reverse swirl generator, or does is have more to do with wet flow?
IMG_2336.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: SBM Trick Flow Heads

Post by mag2555 »

Heck with the bowl, could that plug be at any more of a angle?

Is it really that steep or just due to how you took the photo?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
cwj1212

Post by cwj1212 »

Yeah, the plug is at a crazy angle. It's the same with factory iron heads and the Edelbrock style heads as well. Some of the more race oriented heads relocate the spark plug.

Back to the original topic - here's some pictures of a port mold that will make things a little easier to see.
IMG_2341.jpg
IMG_2340.jpg
IMG_2339.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

cwj1212 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:15 pm I got my first look at Trick Flow CNC 190 heads for SBM today, and I must say I was not prepared for what I saw in the intake bowl behind the guide. It looks sort of like a swirl port Chevrolet head. Nothing like stock SBM heads or the Edelbrock style. Can someone enlighten me on the reason for the funky bowl? Is this a swirl/reverse swirl generator, or does is have more to do with wet flow?

IMG_2336.jpg
Looks like an "Elkins" style bowl to me.

His application of that type port was more about complete fuel burn and not necessarily about air flow amount.
A GM LS7 port is similar.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
cwj1212

Post by cwj1212 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:25 pm
cwj1212 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:15 pm I got my first look at Trick Flow CNC 190 heads for SBM today, and I must say I was not prepared for what I saw in the intake bowl behind the guide. It looks sort of like a swirl port Chevrolet head. Nothing like stock SBM heads or the Edelbrock style. Can someone enlighten me on the reason for the funky bowl? Is this a swirl/reverse swirl generator, or does is have more to do with wet flow?

IMG_2336.jpg
Looks like an "Elkins" style bowl to me.

His application of that type port was more about complete fuel burn and not necessarily about air flow amount.
A GM LS7 port is similar.
Thanks. I'm not familiar with that style of bowl. I found a picture of an LSx-DR head/bowl. It does look very similar.
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Looks like what Chevy implemented in the 427 Vett head but with a less pronounced fuel sheer lip.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

It’s also interesting in that AMC and Buick iron heads lend themselves to a bit of this kind of thing .
mag2555
Guru
Guru

Post by mag2555 »

Is that plug hole more steep then this SBM head, or is it just your photo?
cwj1212

Post by cwj1212 »

mag2555 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:07 pm Looks like what Chevy implemented in the 427 Vett head but with a less pronounced fuel sheer lip.
It does look similar and yes, the shear lip is not aggressive nor is it sharp. It is quite rounded/eased. That's what got me to thinking it may be about air flow, especially since TF has gotten the flow on these to over 300cfm with a 2.02 valve. Most other SBM heads are signing off at 280-290.