No more King XP bearings

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Matt80
No more King XP bearings

Post by Matt80 »

I always had much difficulty to get the correct clearance even if I always buy their 3 measures (std, +0.001, -0.001), but lately I bought a digital gauge and also discovered that all the XP rod bearings are thicker 0.0005 in the middle circle and the XP main bearings are always different right side to the left side.
Obviously I checked the housings and they were perfect, but I also tried some oem bearings to compare, and just got a +/- 0.00004 out of round, that's pretty ok.
So i'm pretty tired of them and clearly "pMaxBlack, U-Groove, ExcentriX, ElliptiX, RadiaLock" do not mean "PRECISION".
1000001608.jpg

Must be their coat, but nonetheless the hole's cleanliness is worrysome
1000001607.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Re: No more King XP bearings

Post by Mark O'Neal »

I'm just impressed you found a set to measure.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Why are you measuring the thickness that way, use a ball end micrometer.
You can buy a .200 ball to clip on a micrometer for like 25$
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

Clevite has there problems also. You spend lot of time and effort to get housings near perfect then beat up on the crank guy for perfection and end up with a multi million dollar company selling junk!!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Coated Calico bearings and don't look back
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
Unless you are running Nitro, use the standard allecular AP and let them move. Check and set clearances and go
King bearings for the win.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

That is why bearings [ & most everything else ] has a TOLERANCE.
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

Geoff2 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:27 am That is why bearings [ & most everything else ] has a TOLERANCE.

So let's say some bearings are more precise (and clean) and needs less tolerance? :D
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

lance flake wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:15 pm Clevite has there problems also. You spend lot of time and effort to get housings near perfect then beat up on the crank guy for perfection and end up with a multi million dollar company selling junk!!
That's THE point.
Anyway let's turn to better bearings
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

They are not available for every platform, but look into the Daido bearings that Callies sells. I have had real good luck with their sizing.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Went thru this tolerance issue on a 4.6 modular Ford during COVID. Three, maybe four sets of bearings I went thru before I got a set to work with mix-n-match. Was using King and Levite.
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I have had less issues with King bearings then any other brand.
The XP series tri-metal bearings I have used were the most consistently made compared to other race bearings.
There cost compared to others is also much better and their available readily in std -.001 and +.001 making clearance issues easier to get with in .0002 max.
Yes we all bitch at the crank guys to get the journal sizing right but lets look at the aftermarket cranks out there.
And also look at the rods as well.

It seems that Eagle and Scat are the most common for budget builds and with that comes a tolerance.
But when you see the journals always on the low end and the rods on the tight ends of factory spec mixing bearings is common and now mix cranks and rods because of the giant sales that are posted regularly and you get rods that are on the high limit on the big end and cranks on the low side of spec.

Remember these rods are done 1000's at a time and are with in .0002" from start to finish of a run.
Same with cranks.

As far and cleanliness its the builders responsibility to make adjustments and clean burrs from oil holes and carefully measure every part of the assembly to ensure its right.

Now look at the rotating kits on the net. They all come with std bearings, every one of them and most use king bearings.

But when we get the parts in the shop we see the bearings offer much more then the needed or wanted clearance and guys complain about low oil pressure in a new engine after break in. These are the guys that never check stuff and give a bad name to an otherwise good setup.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I've found poor quality bearings from most major companies at one time or another. Including Daido.
Just makes you appreciate when they do a good job I guess. And of course a lot of very good bearings too.
But it does seem like they make bearings in big batches, so, maybe better that you figure out how to live with it one way or another, until somebody makes another batch, it could be years. Sorry to say.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

EVERY brg is going to have a tolerance.
This info comes from the Sealed Power Engine brg catalogue.
350 Chev: Rod brg info:
- shaft diam 2.0992/2.1000
- vertical oil clearance 0.0012/0.0037
- housing bore 2.2247/2.2252

It is easy to see how you can get a 'tight' or 'loose' clearance if the dimensions are at the extreme end of the tolerance range.
That does mean the part is faulty if either of these conditions occurs.