Scat Pro Comp I-Beam Connecting Rods - Balancing/Grinding

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

C.A.R.E.
Re: Scat Pro Comp I-Beam Connecting Rods - Balancing/Grinding

Post by C.A.R.E. »

Caution: If you grind anywhere on the big end of the rods go back and check the big end roundness. When we are resizing and balancing any rods we size to within -.0015, balance the rods untorque retorque then go back and finish to size. You won’t believe how much they will move. Also when you size to .0015 less be sure and mark not finished.
Bad day when you have the “finished” rod and piston assembly going in the motor and you torque it and the crank barely will turn! 🤔
You are only limited by your machinery and your imagination!
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

SlowMalibu wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:36 pm Manufacturer claims balance within two grams. How many of you actually balance your rotating assembles within two grams ??? I bet not many as you probably aim for less than a gram.

Can we please get back on the subject....

Some years back I was reading a thread and a few guys were stating how important it is to get everything to within a gram cyl to cyl. A couple other guys who had a good history of building very powerful and lasting combinations were telling the guy asking to not get Hung Up on " get it to within a gram" .. They both mentioned. "Do you have any idea as to how much oil is on the rotating assembly at rpm?"

That made me think:

That's 9 grams of oil in the cap.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

JC565Ford wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:52 pm

Some years back I was reading a thread and a few guys were stating how important it is to get everything to within a gram cyl to cyl. A couple other guys who had a good history of building very powerful and lasting combinations were telling the guy asking to not get Hung Up on " get it to within a gram" .. They both mentioned. "Do you have any idea as to how much oil is on the rotating assembly at rpm?"

That made me think:

That's 9 grams of oil in the cap.
Bugger all oil in there and some of that is balanced about centerlines in the galleries, but lets just hope it balances out and is in all of them :D Some balancers do add an oil weight for their bob weight don't they ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
SlowMalibu

Post by SlowMalibu »

I did all my measurements and dry - no oil - my difference from lightest to heaviest is:

1.62g on small end which is rod small ends + pistons + pins + rings + pin retainers

0.79g on big end which is rod big end + bearings
Matt