General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Bill Jones books ISBN

Post by Justa1time »

Good evening,

I have searched for an ISBN for Bill Jones books. Does anyone who has these books know if they have an ISBN number?

Thank you,

Bryan
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Bill Jones books ISBN

Post by Bill Chase »

Do you mean Bill aka "grumpy" Jenkins Books?
If so, simple Google search brings up the book he co authored in the late 70's early 80's
The small block Chevy racing engine, it is no longer in print and used copies tend to command quite the premium. Amazed the publisher hasn't released it again in a PDF format.
learner1

Post by learner1 »

Bills books were put together and sold by him
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

learner1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:33 am Bills books were put together and sold by him
Bill mention he registered these books with the library of congress. Not sure if that means they have an ISBN or not.

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
learner1

Post by learner1 »

I've no idea. If someone doesn't beat me to it i'll check my books after work. I bought my copies in 2001 or 2002 i think so mine may not have it on them.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Bill still lurks here, I’m sure he’ll chime in.
-Bob
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Bill should have them turned into E-books so they can be available for years to come. That way he can make a buck and never have to worry about shipping or printing again.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

learner1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 am I've no idea. If someone doesn't beat me to it i'll check my books after work. I bought my copies in 2001 or 2002 i think so mine may not have it on them.
Have you had a chance to look?

Thanks,

Bryan
learner1

Post by learner1 »

Yes sorry, mine have no ISBN or anything of the kind
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Learner,

Thanks for checking for me!

Bryan
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

If he publishes them to the right format at a place that prints on demand (like Amazon does iirc) we can just buy new copies on demand without the need for a traditional publisher and print run
learner1

Post by learner1 »

Yw. Last time i spoke to him about his books (several years ago) he was out of stock and wasn't interested in making any more.
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

The Mrs. is a Librarian, who cut her teeth as a Catalogger at the Library of Congress. She now develops catalogging software for Public, Business and .mil libraries. Apparently ISBN's come from the PUBLISHER, not the LoC. I put her on the hunt.
I'll update this with whatever she finds. It may be possible for her to get Mr Jones some info, if he is interested in dispersing his book through PDF or direct-to-consumer.
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Update:

"So, this often happens at local libraries; where a locally relevant book goes out of production and frequently 'comes up missing'. The library would contact the author or their estate, and get permission to have a small printing firm cut the book out of the binding, scan it and print on demand; usually specifically for the library's use to replace copies as they disappear. The library pays the publisher per copy; unknown if the author gets reimbursed in this scenario because its captive to the institution, you're creating 2-5 replacement copies a year specificly to replace inventory, not generate profits.

If the decision is made to do another run, due to renewed interest, as a sales item; thats between the publisher and the author/estate. If it was self-published, it should be relatively easy to approach Amazon to have PDF and Direct-to-Consumer print. The author would make a little money probably, and they'd be insulated from any of the hoopla of dealing with 200 copies of a book that may or may not sell, updating, etc. It does make a paper copy a bit spendy, but typically less than the original vintage technical books go for. This can also tank the value to some people of the OG copies.
If not self-published, theres a chance a deal could be worked out for a direct-print or PDF. Some places are open to it these days, some are not.
It may also be possible to professionally scan a copy (split binding is still best but not required) and host it on a webpage with the authors permission and a small paywall"
-Christine the Librarian
Justa1time
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Justa1time »

Autogear:

Thank you for posting all of the information from the Librarian. I did some digging as far as the local library. I went to the community College library and made an appointment with a librarian also in search of these books. The librarian ended up talking me into taking this one credit class- I am currently enrolled. Its only a 5 week class. I am a younger car guy spending time in the college library and online catalogs of the college library searching for Jones books and I can see access to several technical papers on cylinder head porting from SAE & many orher sources I have not previously thought of. I didn't know the search for Bill Jones books would take me as far as it has to be honest. The things we do for information on topics we are interested in.

A few other Speedtalk members have reached out and contributed information on cylinder head porting and for that I am quite thankful.

Thank you everyone,

Bryan