aluminum block and power loss?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Stan Weiss
Vendor

Re: aluminum block and power loss?

Post by Stan Weiss »

I don't about today. But 50 or so years ago. NHRA Pro Stock BBC Iron block was 15 HP up on same combination in Alum block.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Stan Weiss wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:52 am I don't about today. But 50 or so years ago. NHRA Pro Stock BBC Iron block was 15 HP up on same combination in Alum block.

Stan
If F1 can get 50%+ thermal efficiency and make it last for 3000 racing miles, with more than double the cylinder pressure of any NA engine, it’s really a question of not the material, but how the block is designed. And yeah, I get they have the resources, but it’s something that block designers should aspire to.

250 bar peak is approaching what nitrous Pro Mod engines see, except they’re used on a road course, has water jackets, and need to last 3000 miles or so, and weight matters to them.

And a few hundred lbs off the nose of the car can now be ballast you put anywhere.

So I guess my point for the rest of us is, don’t look at the material so much as look at the block design, and that’s the bigger variable. An aluminum copy of an iron block is going to be flimsier, sure, but if designed correctly, it clearly works in really extreme racing conditions.
-Bob
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

I would bet an iron block, of the same configuration, would make measurably more power, but then we get into the "what shows on the dyno but not the track thread".............lol
And that would follow suit all the way down to the oem level.
Would it be much? Not these days, but certainly measurable at F1 level testing.
I'm sure they model for a best case, no movement scenario, and from there try to minimize losses from there.....?
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Warp Speed wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:35 pm I would bet an iron block, of the same configuration, would make measurably more power, but then we get into the "what shows on the dyno but not the track thread".............lol
And that would follow suit all the way down to the oem level.
Would it be much? Not these days, but certainly measurable at F1 level testing.
I'm sure they model for a best case, no movement scenario, and from there try to minimize losses from there.....?
Probably, but even still, those blocks are stress members with the whole rear suspension bolted to the cylinder heads, along with dealing with those cylinder pressures.

The cam cover:
55B9C672-155B-4075-A313-51CAE63B62DD.jpeg
So somehow they’re making an aluminum alloy work from an engine standpoint and a loading standpoint. A 1800lb car pulling 4g’s is a lot of load to put into those valve covers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Bob
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:03 pm

If F1 can get 50%+ thermal efficiency and make it last for 3000 racing miles, with more than double the cylinder pressure of any NA engine, it’s really a question of not the material, but how the block is designed. And yeah, I get they have the resources, but it’s something that block designers should aspire to.

250 bar peak is approaching what nitrous Pro Mod engines see, except they’re used on a road course, has water jackets, and need to last 3000 miles or so, and weight matters to them.

And a few hundred lbs off the nose of the car can now be ballast you put anywhere.

So I guess my point for the rest of us is, don’t look at the material so much as look at the block design, and that’s the bigger variable. An aluminum copy of an iron block is going to be flimsier, sure, but if designed correctly, it clearly works in really extreme racing conditions.
Of course those cylinder pressures are resisted by the deck thickness not at the water jacket level.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:54 pm

Of course those cylinder pressures are resisted by the deck thickness not at the water jacket level.
Depends how far down they go.
-Bob
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:03 pm 250 bar peak is approaching what nitrous Pro Mod engines see, except they’re used on a road course, has water jackets, and need to last 3000 miles or so, and weight matters to them.

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:41 pm

Far enough if they've been designed to do the job.

460 block here ranges from 1 to 1.25" deck thickness.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:57 pm
hoffman900 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:03 pm 250 bar peak is approaching what nitrous Pro Mod engines see, except they’re used on a road course, has water jackets, and need to last 3000 miles or so, and weight matters to them.

A built out 460 is probably weighs as much as an entire Formula Car. A quick online search says a fully dressed one is 720lbs :shock:

Again, many are doing that thing where we forget engines live in cars and weight is a HUGE component and 15hp on the dyno can easily be made up by saving hundreds of pounds off the nose (either ditching it if rules allow or relocating it).
-Bob
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:58 pm
A built out 460 is probably weighs as much as an entire Formula Car. A quick online search says a fully dressed one is 720lbs :shock:

Haha, maybe not now that FIs have batteries.

Built to do the job, 460 needs an inch for the long stroke, maybe the Fi needs a band a half inch high around the top of the bore that is possibly freestanding anyways.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Tom68 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:03 pm

Haha, maybe not now that FIs have batteries.

Built to do the job, 460 needs an inch for the long stroke, maybe the Fi needs a band a half inch high around the top of the bore that is possibly freestanding anyways.
If weight is not object, then what are container ships running? :lol:

A F1 car is bloated these days, but it’s still a sub 1800lb car with driver. Makes a 1000hp with the PU + hybrid unit.
-Bob
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Stan Weiss wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:52 am I don't about today. But 50 or so years ago. NHRA Pro Stock BBC Iron block was 15 HP up on same combination in Alum block.

Stan

Bob,
Unless someone builds and tested an F1 iron block engine we will need know what the difference in HP is at that level. I don't follow F1. Is there a min vehicle weight, and could an iron block F1 engine even make that weight?

Stan
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Stan Weiss wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:07 pm

Stan

Bob,
Unless someone builds and tested an F1 iron block engine we will need know what the difference in HP is at that level. I don't follow F1. Is there a min vehicle weight, and could an iron block F1 engine even make that weight?

Stan

I mean sure, maybe an iron block would be better from a sealing standpoint, theoretically, but last I checked this was “speedtalk” not “stationary engine talk”. If we’re going to ignore weight, then we might as well start including locomotive engines and mine lift pump engines.

That said, you don’t get over 50% thermal efficiency without it not being tight.

-shrug-
-Bob
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Again, many are doing that thing where we forget engines live in cars and weight is a HUGE component and 15hp on the dyno can easily be made up by saving hundreds of pounds off the nose (either ditching it if rules allow or relocating it).
Bob,
This does depends on the type of racing. Running pounds per ci and a having min % of car weight one end maybe not.

Stan
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Stan Weiss wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:11 pm

Bob,
This does depends on the type of racing. Running pounds per ci and a having min % of car weight one end maybe not.

Stan
Stan, weight matters in all racing. You’re accelerating a vehicle through time / space, and even if you can’t drop minimum weight, being able to put it wherever you want and not wherever the engine has it is huge as well, as now you can effect distribution, CoG, etc.

Even in drag racing… there is a reason dragsters came to be.
-Bob
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

gregsdart wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:52 pm One thing i didn't mention is i have a center counter weighted crank to help reduce stress and distortion. I have no idea on what it is worth, but the dyno numbers seem pretty good for the heads i have. My only clues are vacuum with a moroso pump spinning at 80% is only holding 7inch vacuum at best, pulled 9to 10 with my iron block. But those numbers could easily be skewed by leakeage beyond rings.
Maybe a good part of that ring seal can be recovered with 20" of vac vs running 12-15" ? Maybe?