Exhaust sizing race car

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

richiev88

Exhaust sizing race car

Post by richiev88 »

Hello,
I own a 70 Camaro road race car. Its running a 572cu BBC, made 700 RWHP on dyno
(afr 357 cnc, 278/282 @50, 110, .0720 lift, 11.5.1 compression, pro systems 1180cfm carb)
Currently it has 2 1/8 primary tubes into a 3.5 inch collectors. Then 3.5 inch mandrel bent tube to a Flowmaster dual inlet 3.5 inch race muffler.
It feels like it may be restricted at its top end ( 6400rpm)
4 inch would be better, but more difficult to keep under noise limits and we have restricted space
do I need 4 inch system ??

Cheers Richie
bob460
Expert
Expert

Re: Exhaust sizing race car

Post by bob460 »

richiev88 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:13 pm Hello,
(afr 357 cnc, 278/282 @50, 110, .0720 lift, 11.5.1 compression, pro systems 1180cfm carb)
Currently it has 2 1/8 primary tubes into a 3.5 inch collectors. Then 3.5 inch mandrel bent tube to a Flowmaster dual inlet 3.5 inch race muffler.
4 inch would be better, but more difficult to keep under noise limits and we have restricted space

Cheers Richie
Well the new 632ci crate engine made 840hp at the rears with a 3 inch exhaust, maybe look at some better mufflers.
Moparboy440

Post by Moparboy440 »

malibuguy79

Post by malibuguy79 »

What model flowmaster? I do not recall any dual 3.5 inlet Flowmaster mufflers.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

richiev88 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:13 pm Hello,

Cheers Richie
Somewhere it was suggested that about 2.2 CFM per HP is required before the exhaust starts to diminish output. The gains are marginal at the top end of the scale.
Although 700 rear wheel might be be difficult to reconcile to engine HP, call it a 20% drivetrain loss. Based on that, engine output could be 840. So, following that guideline, 1680 CFM is required.
As mentioned, gains are small at the top end (as in percentage lost) but even at 1500 CFM, there are only a few mufflers that could flow that much. And I would think that the Db's are through the roof.
Is there room for two?

Muffler CFM.png

Combine that with Moparboy440's post regarding pipe diameter and potential CFM...

Exhaust Pipe Diameter Flow.jpg

The rest is math. And packaging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
richiev8

Post by richiev8 »

IMG_0071.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richiev8

Post by richiev8 »

Thanks for the reply’s,
Muffler is as the picture posted
I’ll drop the exhaust at the header flanges, see what changes next time on the dyno
From the tables supplied the muffler could be choke point
richiev8

Post by richiev8 »

IMG_5998.jpeg
IMG_6001.jpeg
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Good luck keeping the flat muffler together.
Twin 3.5" should be enough, chassis dyno with some turn downs on the collectors and see.

So much going on, pinion angle, fuel line heat shield, traction bars, rear antiroll bar with leaf springs, is power the only problem ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
richiev8

Post by richiev8 »

Why would the flat muffler be a problem? I’ve run one for 5 seasons no issue , just not with this motor.
Everything else works fine,all necessary for turning corners
I see u are AU, sometimes we run with your Tourning car masters series
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

richiev8 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:55 pm Thanks for the reply’s,
Muffler is as the picture posted
I’ll drop the exhaust at the header flanges, see what changes next time on the dyno
From the tables supplied the muffler could be choke point
Don't forget that by opening the exhaust at the collectors, you'll change the tuned length.
That in itself would affect the dyno results.
Have you determined what the optimum collector length should be for a mufflerless system and your application? Or what the overall length should be including the mufflers for best torque or HP?
Kevin
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

richiev8 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:34 pm Why would the flat muffler be a problem? I’ve run one for 5 seasons no issue , just not with this motor.
Everything else works fine,all necessary for turning corners
I see u are AU, sometimes we run with your Tourning car masters series
Normally hard to keep flat mufflers from cracking, but if they're working for you that's good.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
richiev8

Post by richiev8 »

No issue with the mild steel ones as long as you mount them correctly, seen stainless ones split the seems
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Maybe borescope the muffler to see if it is buggered up inside or a baffle has come apart.
I'm with Tom68 on the pinion angle. With multi-leafs and cal-tracs on an f-body set up for road racing, there isn't much droop when jacked up or much jounce when on its tires. Here's a quick measurement using Solidworks on the pic - the perspective may be making look worse but it shouldn't be off much. A quick check wouldn't hurt.
richiev8

Post by richiev8 »

Rick! wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:07 am Maybe borescope the muffler to see if it is buggered up inside or a baffle has come apart.
I'm with Tom68 on the pinion angle. With multi-leafs and cal-tracs on an f-body set up for road racing, there isn't much droop when jacked up or much jounce when on its tires. Here's a quick measurement using Solidworks on the pic - the perspective may be making look worse but it shouldn't be off much. A quick check wouldn't hurt.
It’s ok inside.
Pinion is 2.5 down . Car was originally built for a historic class which limited suspension mods. Springs used to wrap up under hard braking to the point of nearly binding the uj
Running in a different class with a lot more freedoms now, so slowly working through new mods
Under rider bars are solid fabricated ones , think cal tracks slide ?
I’ve attached a pic of the set up some of our cars run, it’s a F body too.