Suggestions for a 4x4 pickup truck

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Suggestions for a 4x4 pickup truck

Post by Kevin Johnson »

My wife has a relative in France who has asked for help in selecting a sporty 4x4 pickup truck from the years 2012 through 2019.

I know that is a very broad selection criteria. What would be extremely helpful is advice on what models to avoid due to some sort of problem that might not be immediately apparent.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Suggestions for a 4x4 pickup truck

Post by FC-Pilot »

I can neither confirm nor deny issues the tundra might have with brakes. Have a nice day. 😉

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Midsize pickup: Taco (Tacoma) TRD. V6 is not a gas miser, the 4cyl might be a better choice if not going to pull anything.
Full Size pickup: my '17 Ecodiesel was trouble free. A buddy has one with 125k miles with only an air suspension problem. Avoid their air suspension.
Avoid high end Ford 1/2 tons with all the electronic wizardness - Limited, King Ranch, etc. (See makuloco on youtube, he is a savvy expert ford technician)
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Rick! wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:17 am Midsize pickup: Taco (Tacoma) TRD. V6 is not a gas miser, the 4cyl might be a better choice if not going to pull anything.
Full Size pickup: my '17 Ecodiesel was trouble free. A buddy has one with 125k miles with only an air suspension problem. Avoid their air suspension.
Avoid high end Ford 1/2 tons with all the electronic wizardness - Limited, King Ranch, etc. (See makuloco on youtube, he is a savvy expert ford technician)
I flew out to California several years ago after both of my parents had been moved to a care facility. My Father had purchased a wheel-chair converted Dodge mini-van for transporting my Mother many years prior and I drove that back for my elderly Father-in-law here in Florida to use.

While in California I rented a brand new TRD to get around. I loved it! Obviously, I did not have it long enough to experience brake issues. IIRC the car was plated in AZ and had been dropped off at the Ontario Hertz location.

So, the relative in France has refined his desire (visual, I guess) to a GMC 1500 variant or a Ford F150 variant. I went to Kelly Blue Book and specified a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle in either case and sent the search result to him (2012 through 2019). He can look through the many options and costs and decide if he would like to go forward with this.

I know if my Brother had any say, it would be some sort of Jeep! :lol:
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya Kevin,
From my experience, the 2007-2009 Chev/GMC have problems due to the introduction of the E38 ECU, actually nothing wrong with the ECU but wiring hadn't caught up. If GM, choose 2011 and up.

I get calls to help Fords with problems dealerships can't seem to fix, so, for me a no go on the Fords... I have friends at the dealership that give me all the help in the world. We fix it but it's a struggle.

Toyota's are great as well as the Honda Ridgeline.

I wish you the best.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

The Toyota will start every time and get you where you need to go every time, I will agree with that. The Chevy, make sure it is before they went away from the copper in the brake pads. Or, put the Wagner OEX brake pads on the front. The pads without copper from GM could not stop a piece of paper. I honestly don’t know how they claimed it passed the FMVS 135 or 105. Better brake pads will save you. I did not know about those other issues mentioned, but it does not surprise me.

Great comments guys. Keep them coming.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

No phords or didges here......