How much taper on a 4032 piston skirt?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

digger
Guru
Guru
Re: How much taper on a 4032 piston skirt?

Post by digger »

the_crack_fox

Post by the_crack_fox »

That document is gold!! Thank you Digger 😁
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

No don't send me a PM because I'm not just going to give you what we have invested millions of dollars into. However, I admire you're giving it a try and would like to pass on some suggestions. Considering you have Solidworks and the capabilities of reverse engineering I think you'll not fail.
I will tell you what I did for my own engine and you can see if that is logical for your situation. I took a CP forged piston that would be 2618 and normally set up for .004 clearance and just followed that profile on a 4032 forging. I set the clearance up for .002 , worked great.
I can say nothing about the cam shape but I will caution you on your box forging to add an extra .0005 to .001 clearance where the struts join the thrust faces on all 4 corners. Biggest thing, if your clocking tabs will allow it, is to cut your ring lands and ring grooves last. That's paramount.
the_crack_fox

Post by the_crack_fox »

Thanks DCal, the advice is much appreciated!
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

Sorry to overstep my bounds dcal, but you did give him something. That is what makes these sites worthwhile. I would not expect someone to "sell the farm".
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Pistons were measured in cam and taper in the 1980s. Skirt designs are now far more complicated than that.

Mine were smaller at the bottom and under the oil ring than they were at the gauge point ... for example.
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

novafornow wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:07 pm Sorry to overstep my bounds dcal, but you did give him something. That is what makes these sites worthwhile. I would not expect someone to "sell the farm".
Don't think twice. Didn't bother me at all and this site is helpful for sure.
the_crack_fox

Post by the_crack_fox »

Pistons ready to install. After much thought I decided to get an expert to finish the skirt and ring grooves for me.
I will definitely have another go at completing a set by myself. I'm pretty confident I can do it, but not confident enough to risk trashing the engine in my daily driver. Next time I'll do a single cylinder motorbike engine.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice! 🙂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

the_crack_fox wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:00 pm Pistons ready to install. After much thought I decided to get an expert to finish the skirt and ring grooves for me.
I will definitely have another go at completing a set by myself. I'm pretty confident I can do it, but not confident enough to risk trashing the engine in my daily driver. Next time I'll do a single cylinder motorbike engine.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice! 🙂
good move !!!!
the_crack_fox

Post by the_crack_fox »

:D Engine is running! No rattles, no smoke. If anyone ever says "you can't make your own pistons", they're wrong :lol:
the_crack_fox

Post by the_crack_fox »

BRZ 2.2L FA20 making 190kw/255HP at the wheels on 9psi boost (harrop supercharger) with billet 4032 pistons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.