the art of a valve job

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

sbcharlie
Pro
Pro
Re: the art of a valve job

Post by sbcharlie »

I have questions for you guys can you tell me how to machine offset seats offset directional seats clover leaf valve seats. Love to hear how you would use a form tool machine to cut them get chance look at the new Lamborghini cylinder head and intake port. It’s interesting all the NASCAR and nhra and motorcycle race teams use a Newen machine. Summit racing BTR use these machines whatever happened to having Darren Morgan and Larry Widmer that were on this forum just use neway cutters
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

I think deep down everyone wants a Newen. However unless you want big payments, or a race team, it's not practical.

Personally if I had $100K burning a hole in my pocket, I would still use what I have.. But that's me.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

sbcharlie wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:39 pm I have questions for you guys can you tell me how to machine offset seats offset directional seats clover leaf valve seats. Love to hear how you would use a form tool machine to cut them get chance look at the new Lamborghini cylinder head and intake port. It’s interesting all the NASCAR and nhra and motorcycle race teams use a Newen machine. Summit racing BTR use these machines whatever happened to having Darren Morgan and Larry Widmer that were on this forum just use neway cutters

People tying their personality / ego to how they cut valve seats is a wild flex, but we see the same thing with people’s brand allegiance all the time. A Ford or a Chevy doesn’t know what it is, and there is a tool or a better tool for every job.

Keep sharing, Charlie.
-Bob
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

HDBD wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:13 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 am Another option is to buy a CNC mill.
You can buy a very nice one for much less that $150K

It has the advantage of being able to make a 3D shape rather than only a revolved shape.
A CNC mill also has the advantage of versatility, if you design a part, it can be producing 24x7.
Curious
What machine were you considering? Will the same machine perform head porting? Had a Rottler in mind but they are 250k.
Personally, I would search for a high-end brand used model.
Non automotive machine.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

My day job is purchasing cnc machines and designing machine changes. I get it. A small Hermle would work, maybe a mazak or a much retrofatal. And 5 axis fadal. All verticals with a rotary trunion.
sbcharlie
Pro
Pro

Post by sbcharlie »

Why would you waste your time doing that. Wouldn’t you think otherwise
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

sbcharlie wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:04 pm Why would you waste your time doing that. Wouldn’t you think otherwise

what is the going rate to cut 16 seats in a pair of subaru ej255 heads on the Newen Charlie?

A distinct 4 angle intake seat, and 3 angle exhaust seat with a radius below into the throat. 33mm exhaust valve/36mm intake.

no cleaning or disassembly, just the seat work.
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

mag2555 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:19 am My 2 cents worth would be that if whichever valve you want to talk about. ( INT or EXH or both ) is not sealing due to thermal conditions that just can not be simulated in a static way, then the best flowing valve job is a waste of time to include in the conversation.
That sounds like a job for a torque plate valve job...

Edit: oh wait you said *THERMAL* conditions...
How about DV's "conformation groove" cut into the valve face?
sbcharlie
Pro
Pro

Post by sbcharlie »

the cost for Subaru head $180 for the pair
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

sbcharlie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:57 pm I’m in the Philippines at moment setting up a machine for the scooter market. I was shocked how many scooters there are. Heading to Australia in February for the month.
Small world.
I do some balancing on those little, bitty 1 cyls that they drag race in the Philippines. I thought the first guy was pulling my leg until it arrived at the door.
He sent some pictures of the drag bikes. They were seriously cool. He had more in shipping than the job cost but I was the only shop he could find equipped to mess with them. Besides, I am a glutton for punishment. 8)
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:18 pm
HDBD wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:13 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 am Another option is to buy a CNC mill.
You can buy a very nice one for much less that $150K

It has the advantage of being able to make a 3D shape rather than only a revolved shape.
A CNC mill also has the advantage of versatility, if you design a part, it can be producing 24x7.
Curious
What machine were you considering? Will the same machine perform head porting? Had a Rottler in mind but they are 250k.
Personally, I would search for a high-end brand used model.
Non automotive machine.
I think used would be a disappointment for valve seats.
Making something accurately round within X thou. via interpolation with a mill can be hard for even a new machine.
The problem usually shows up where the x and w cross changing direction.
I have a personal project coming up. Think I will give it a try just for giggles.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Bryan Maloney

Post by Bryan Maloney »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:29 pm How many valve jobs do you have to do to pay for this? Super nice machine but I don't see how anyone can afford it.
Will the machine last long enough to pay for itself?
Support for earlier machines has been a problem.
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

sbcharlie wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:34 pm the cost for Subaru head $180 for the pair
so, a competition valve job on a set of OHC heads at $11.25 per seat in 2024 on a 125k machine?

something doesn't add up....
sbcharlie
Pro
Pro

Post by sbcharlie »

It’s an hour work time. And 20 minutes programming time you said heads we’re clean
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

the finance stacks up if you have solid work and run pretty much full time 5 days a week 50 weeks a year