Oil pan gasket 434 SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fabr
Expert
Expert
Re: Oil pan gasket 434 SBC

Post by fabr »

Same question,in what application? Drag or endurance? Both? I have no experience with anything endurance other than the red and copper in a N/A use.
norm

Post by norm »

It is a 79 Bronco with a 605 A head engine. Sand dune truck that sees street driving any chance i get.

Maddog headers and full exhaust.

I couldn't stand how the copper looked and noticed the new grey is good for a decent amount of heat so i figured i wouldn't be out anything but time if it didn't work.

Works great and looks way better, coated headers and aluminum heads it blends right in.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

fabr wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:56 am Same question,in what application? Drag or endurance? Both? I have no experience with anything endurance other than the red and copper in a N/A use.
Both
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya's,
The Victor Reinz has aluminum in it and moves with temp. Peels right off the pan rails and doesn't leak. Amazing stuff. Try it :)
https://victorreinz.us/products/reinzosil-rtv-silicone
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I would like to add a comment to this thread. The very last thing to touch the surfaces that " Any " sealing product is going to bond to should be a
Clean / Unused lint free paper towel soaked with Acetone, some popular products such as Brake-Clean "Will" leave a slight residue which will harm
the bonding ability to the surfaces . This may help somebody that is unaware . Mark H.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

swampbuggy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:44 pm I would like to add a comment to this thread. The very last thing to touch the surfaces that " Any " sealing product is going to bond to should be a
Clean / Unused lint free paper towel soaked with Acetone, some popular products such as Brake-Clean "Will" leave a slight residue which will harm
the bonding ability to the surfaces . This may help somebody that is unaware . Mark H.
We do only want a seal though, a good bond can be detrimental to the oil pan on disassembly, especially if you have studs.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

This article explains all the differences in permatex silicones.

https://4lowmagazine.com/rtv-colors-and ... -use-them/
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Notice that the Permatex guy doesn't write anything about RTV sealing gaps > 0.15mm / 0.006in like the Victor R lit. does? I'd never use it on/between 2 machined surfaces and the .006 min. still seems too small to me.
It doesn't actually seal between machined surfaces, it's the bead of goop squished out along the inner & outer perimeter that does the actual sealing, so deburr/chamfer their edges or your real seal will get pinched/fall off! ;) ;) ;)
//
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Funny,I never experienced that. YMMV though.