Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

jed
HotPass
HotPass

3d printing

Post by jed »

My wife has a Brothers sewing machine. One of the main drives gears is cracked. The gear is plastic. Still works but skips a beat once in a while. Lol
Gear is not available. They make 3d guns why can’t they make a sewing machine gear? Any body know of a company that might could do this.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: 3d printing

Post by BillK »

Jed,
Send me the model number of the machine in a pm or post it here. I have a friend who has been in the Sewing Machine business for 40 years or so and might have the part.

If not you could see if thee is a local "maker space" that might have a 3D scanner and printer. I know of at least one person here locally who can probably do it. But I would almost bet that the correct part can be found.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
ijames
Expert
Expert

Re: 3d printing

Post by ijames »

An "old fashioned" way would be to glue and fill the crack shut if necessary to get a smooth surface and build up and hand shape any broken teeth with bondo. Then pull a mold using a soft polyurethane rubber and use that to cast a replacement from hard polyurethane plastic. Years ago I dabbled in casting a few custom vibration mounts while designing a new apparatus at work. www.smooth-on.com has lots of supplies and lots of training videos both on their website and youtube, and gave helpful advice on the best materials for the application.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net