General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Re: Intake Manifold testing

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

Elroy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:00 am
steve cowan wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:52 pm I just watched Eric video on the the AFR intakes as cast,cloverleaf only removed,and ported .
As expected the ported intake fattened the curve a few.
With a ported set of heads to suit the cubes,rpm etc I think that ported AFR intake would work well.
Unless I missed something. The engine was around 20hp from repeating itself from the last dyno session....in the same form as it was in. Which would kill any thoughts of what changes to the manifolds did from the previous session,,, But maybe i tuned out too early, because as soon as i gathered that....I realized there was no actual data there.

Thats a lot of variance, so that only leaves room for assumptions, especially when testing things like that. I have never had that same issue when dynoing the same engine on the same dyno at a different time of the year with very different weather.

Thats a lot of work to go through, in the name of learning, to be doing it on a dyno that is that far off from being able to repeat itself from day to day.

Did I miss something? Wasnt the engine way off in power from last session?
You did.

It was off 18hp off one intake but I’m about certain it was a leaking intake gasket. Once switched to another manifold that was used in previous session it was off 4hp although torque was within 2.

Knowing this I tried to compare everything from just one session.

I hope that helps.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:22 pm
steve cowan wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:52 pm I just watched Eric video on the the AFR intakes as cast,cloverleaf only removed,and ported .
As expected the ported intake fattened the curve a few.
With a ported set of heads to suit the cubes,rpm etc I think that ported AFR intake would work well.
Unless I missed something. The engine was around 20hp from repeating itself from the last dyno session....in the same form as it was in. Which would kill any thoughts of what changes to the manifolds did from the previous session,,, But maybe i tuned out too early, because as soon as i gathered that....I realized there was no actual data there.

Thats a lot of variance, so that only leaves room for assumptions, especially when testing things like that. I have never had that same issue when dynoing the same engine on the same dyno at a different time of the year with very different weather.

Thats a lot of work to go through, in the name of learning, to be doing it on a dyno that is that far off from being able to repeat itself from day to day.

You did.

It was off 18hp off one intake but I’m about certain it was a leaking intake gasket. Once switched to another manifold that was used in previous session it was off 4hp although torque was within 2.

I hope that helps.
Does it have a bunch of vacuum under the carb at wot? I suppose if the intake gasket was real real bad, or if an engine had a bunch of vacuum at wot it could be. But I have done manifold swaps on the dyno and literally had them squealing(from vacuum leak at gasket) at idle, but not affect wot fueling or power.

Regardless, Im glad you got it sorted. Thats certainly a big effort on your part.
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

Elroy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:34 pm
WeingartnerRacing wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:22 pm

You did.

I hope that helps.
Does it have a bunch of vacuum under the carb at wot? I suppose if the intake gasket was real real bad, or if an engine had a bunch of vacuum at wot it could be. But I have done manifold swaps on the dyno and literally had them squealing(from vacuum leak at gasket) at idle, but not affect wot fueling or power.

Regardless, Im glad you got it sorted. Thats certainly a big effort on your part.
That manifold was the one that I bought from auction that someone did a horrible job of port matching. When they were grinding the grinder went across the intake surface so it had gouges in it. They sealed when we first put it on but picking up the engine from the manifold without the silicone even setting up and after taking all the manifolds on and off I don’t think the gasket was sealing anymore. The clue came with the air fuel ratio becoming leaner by about half a point from the last test. It did have a lot of vacuum with the two barrel.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

This will be interesting, I always bang on about Edelbrocks Windsor F4B having 4 ridiculously short runners.
Well this isn't as bad but as pointed out in the video 3, 5 ,4 and 6 have shorter than usual runners.
Some but not all C3BXs were like this and every C4B that I've seen.
Brodix DP short runner.jpg
c4b3bcompare.JPG
c3bx.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Just realised if you haven't watched Erics video my post means nothing.

He's going to test the Brodix with the short long runner combo.

https://youtu.be/Ygf9ldKtrng
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Dual Plane session 1 session 2 comparo up. Not the Brodix.

https://youtu.be/YkSNjPVNS4U
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Tom68 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:43 am Dual Plane session 1 session 2 comparo up. Not the Brodix.

My Air Gap Rpm with the divider cut all the way down worked as good as my 300-25 Strip Dominator on my 358 and the Air Gap had better 60ft. 1/8, 1/4 mile ET.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

1980RS wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:59 am
Tom68 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:43 am Dual Plane session 1 session 2 comparo up. Not the Brodix.

My Air Gap Rpm with the divider cut all the way down worked as good as my 300-25 Strip Dominator on my 358 and the Air Gap had better 60ft. 1/8, 1/4 mile ET.
With or without a spacer?

There's been so much manifold-speak lately that I've completely lost track.
Kevin
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

skinny z wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:02 am

With or without a spacer?

There's been so much manifold-speak lately that I've completely lost track.
With a 1" open spacer.
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

What was the max rpm?
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

ChopperScott wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:45 am
What was the max rpm?
6800 rpm.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

1980RS wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:28 pm
What was the max rpm?
6800 rpm.
I know it's been laid out somewhere here before but for the sake of searching I'd like to ask the engine ingredients.
One thing I know for sure is that there's an RPM Air Gap with a completely removed divider (as opposed to out of the box) and a 1" spacer.
And that's is 358 CID. For the record I calculate my 357 from the 4.04 x 3.48" bore and stroke.
I don't recall any details on the heads or the cam. Although I believe the latter is a flat tappet?

How all of that plays together within the subject of manifold testing is noteworthy.
Kevin
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

skinny z wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:35 pm

What was the max rpm?
6800 rpm.
I know it's been laid out somewhere here before but for the sake of searching I'd like to ask the engine ingredients.
One thing I know for sure is that there's an RPM Air Gap with a completely removed divider (as opposed to out of the box) and a 1" spacer.
And that's is 358 CID. For the record I calculate my 357 from the 4.04 x 3.48" bore and stroke.
I don't recall any details on the heads or the cam. Although I believe the latter is a flat tappet?

How all of that plays together within the subject of manifold testing is noteworthy.
Won't be anymore testing on my 358 as I sold it yesterday. Guy had a hard time believing it ran in the 11's let alone 11.30 until I showed him the video of the car running that. I'll have some more stuff to test soon.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Just dug out my old Sept. 2008 Chevy Hi performance Mag with their 16 manifold test.
The Brodix HV1016 of the 6 modern dual planes tested had low lowest avg. hp and torque. Not by much only 2-3 ft-lb of torque and 2-3 hp less than most others the RPM air gap was 7ft-lb and 6 hp better average. Interestingly the brodix had the second highest hp peak but the lowest torque peak. the engine tested was a 383 10.5 cr Brodix IK 200 head with a Comp .525/.525 224*/224* 110* LSA solid roller cam.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

1980RS wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:11 am
skinny z wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:35 pm

6800 rpm.

Won't be anymore testing on my 358 as I sold it yesterday. Guy had a hard time believing it ran in the 11's let alone 11.30 until I showed him the video of the car running that. I'll have some more stuff to test soon.
FWIW: What was the as tested head and cam combo?
Kevin