Intake Manifold Porting Show ‘n Tell

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Intake Manifold Porting Show ‘n Tell

Post by ChopperScott »

Speaking of plenum blend and match, here is the Weiand Track Warrior 7622 for BBC...
IMG_9293.JPG
IMG_9380.JPG
IMG_9379.JPG
IMG_9378.JPG
IMG_9374.JPG
IMG_9376.JPG
IMG_9377.JPG
IMG_9383.JPG
IMG_9382.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChopperScott on Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

IMG_9385.JPG
IMG_9386.JPG
IMG_9387.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

That carb pad reminds me of a friend's Vic jnr off his BBC I did last year,had to take some material out of that thing .
Scott your finish work is as good as I have ever seen.
My stuff is rough as guts compared to yours lol
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

ChopperScott wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:29 pm
mt-engines wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:39 pm
ChopperScott wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:55 am

As many as needed for the application.
How would you know? How much data do you have from porting intakes, heads and building engines?

Your finish work looks nice, but 90 percent of what you are doing is cosmetic and doesn't contribute to overall power gain.

If you spend more than 6 hours on an intake, you're using the wrong intake.

That intake with a plenum blend and a port match will support 900hp

I've ran them out of the box many times in 750-800hp pump gas 496 builds

Just trying to encourage you that many times less is more.
How would you know? Have you tested any of my intakes?

90% cosmetic? What are you looking at?

I can spend over an hour per port while matching. If you're only spending 6 hours on an entire intake, it's no wonder your intakes aren't performing.

Fully ported, it'll support more.

Many times, you could have made more power.

I don't need encouragement when signing my name on a service.
I would know because I've been there done that. I've probably ported a dozen of that specific intake, and used at least that many out of the box...

I find it ironic that a year ago you start a thread to learn how to port intakes, then a few months later you are this guru of intake porting selling your services on yellowbullet and Facebook with ZERO DATA other than just bouncing a burr around a manifold.

I can GUARANTEE YOU, your intakes won't outperform. They will probably at best make the same power. . But youll have 20 more hours than necessary into them. You don't need to waste that much time period on the combos you have been bragging about.. unless its some all out deal, your pump gas 500" big block might pick up 15 from out of the box... the first 10 was the plenum blend into the runners, the port match was the other 5. The other 13 hours of finish work most likely nothing.

I could give you a part number on an oil pan that will pick up more than the intake work will.

But you would know right....

Many times I could have made more power? How would you know? You are taking this internet marketing too far. Anyone that has to peddle their services all over the internet cant find it locally or nationally because they don't have results.

And your hour per port just to match? I'd hate to see the bill for a Sniper Jr that actually needs the work.

I guarantee you the 500 inch engine doesn't need anywhere close to the area of gasket match you did.. period! But go ahead waste your time, charge less than the guys that KNOW what they are doing and talk down to them for trying to point things out. Be the hero, fully port an intake before its ever used so the customer thinks he wouldn't have made that much power off the shelf.. After all you know it all now that you are a big player.

Why is your engine such a pooch for what it is? By all the talking you do that thing should be 750hp... which it easily could..
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

steve cowan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:11 am That carb pad reminds me of a friend's Vic jnr off his BBC I did last year,had to take some material out of that thing .
Scott your finish work is as good as I have ever seen.
My stuff is rough as guts compared to yours lol
The Track Warrior is the updated Team G with the same part number.
It is similar to the Vic Jr...
IMG_8351.JPG
Thank you. It's takes time and patience to achieve that finish. I'll hand sand up to 150 grit, before going in for final burr finish.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 am

How would you know? How much data do you have from porting intakes, heads and building engines?

Your finish work looks nice, but 90 percent of what you are doing is cosmetic and doesn't contribute to overall power gain.

I can spend over an hour per port while matching. If you're only spending 6 hours on an entire intake, it's no wonder your intakes aren't performing.

I would know because I've been there done that. I've probably ported a dozen of that specific intake, and used at least that many out of the box...

I find it ironic that a year ago you start a thread to learn how to port intakes, then a few months later you are this guru of intake porting selling your services on yellowbullet and Facebook with ZERO DATA other than just bouncing a burr around a manifold.

I can GUARANTEE YOU, your intakes won't outperform. They will probably at best make the same power. . But youll have 20 more hours than necessary into them. You don't need to waste that much time period on the combos you have been bragging about.. unless its some all out deal, your pump gas 500" big block might pick up 15 from out of the box... the first 10 was the plenum blend into the runners, the port match was the other 5. The other 13 hours of finish work most likely nothing.

I could give you a part number on an oil pan that will pick up more than the intake work will.

Many times I could have made more power? How would you know? You are taking this internet marketing too far. Anyone that has to peddle their services all over the internet cant find it locally or nationally because they don't have results.

And your hour per port just to match? I'd hate to see the bill for a Sniper Jr that actually needs the work.

I guarantee you the 500 inch engine doesn't need anywhere close to the area of gasket match you did.. period! But go ahead waste your time, charge less than the guys that KNOW what they are doing and talk down to them for trying to point things out. Be the hero, fully port an intake before its ever used so the customer thinks he wouldn't have made that much power off the shelf.. After all you know it all now that you are a big player.

Why is your engine such a pooch for what it is? By all the talking you do that thing should be 750hp... which it easily could..
I find it ironic that you think this began only a year ago. This isn't my first rodeo with induction. My father started showing me how to do valve jobs and assemble heads, after school at the machine shop back in the late 80's. I've applied decades of knowledge, from education and experience, with my skills to experiment for myself. I was unaware of the niche in the market. People started showing interest, and it's been snowballing ever since. I'm not in a position with time restriction. I'll take as much time as needed. If you feel overwhelmed with your workload, you're welcome to send an intake to me. Then you'll have all the data you need. My phone number is listed in my sig, if you'd like to discuss this further.

As far as the 434 is concerned, I built that car to run 10.00. I haven't touched the intake. I didn't want to overextend my budget by going any faster. Don't need 750 HP to make the same torque.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

If you don't think bouncing a die grinder works then go watch Chad Spire's videos on this subject. The 1st. time I tried an intake that I kinda did like his and it worked out great for me at the track a few years ago with no fuel puddling on the plenum floors or runners, it was the cleanest intake inside I've ever used. As for making not much more power porting intakes, you can test on the dyno all you want, but it will not tell you how the car will act at the track untill you make a pass with the new intake on the car, and that's were a good ported plenum will shine.
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

Hurricane…
4EF43E41-BF18-49BB-9729-31BD0C14A7C3.jpeg
3913243C-E240-4FD6-ACD5-837EDDE3FF71.jpeg
Last edited by ChopperScott on Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

Mayhem…
C3E87D4C-7CBA-499D-B12F-192A31B0B52C.jpeg
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I just found out the other day from Chuck who's a friend of mine, he was saying his friend bought a "Tricked" out Trick Flow SBC intake form you Scott and can't wait to test it on the dyno. I'll let you know what it makes if he tells me. They were impressed with your work.
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

Not to upset anyone but he is partly true. Intake porting doesn’t pick up near as much as you would think. After doing all the intake testing I have done it really only gains a lot(more than 30) on high horsepower engines, over 900hp. This excludes really crappy manifolds. Port alignment makes more of a power difference than porting a manifold. Porting certainly helps but it’s not like porting heads. Also people will believe they have the best manifold if it looks nice even if an abomination makes more power. Your eyes don’t necessarily decide what makes power.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

"Your eyes don't necessarily decide what make power"
I believe that statement to be a true axiom, airflow does not seem to be concerned with appearing intuitive.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Darren Morgan has said before some of the roughest looking ports as in finish have made the best power.
As said the shine is for the customer otherwise they would melt down
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
HQM383
HotPass
HotPass

Post by HQM383 »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:27 pm ...... Intake porting doesn’t pick up near as much as you would think. After doing all the intake testing I have done it really only gains a lot(more than 30) on high horsepower engines, over 900hp. This excludes really crappy manifolds. Port alignment makes more of a power difference than porting a manifold. Porting certainly helps but it’s not like porting heads....
Has this changed how you approach the porting manifolds, especially the time put into customers manifolds?
I’m a Street/Strip guy..... like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram.