Who here actually drives an EV/HYBRID?

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

gruntguru
Guru
Guru
Re: Who here actually drives an EV/HYBRID?

Post by gruntguru »

Belgian1979 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:13 am Making definitions like that can win any argument.
And the EU is known to be lying on more than one occassion to win a environmental stance discussion.

Attached a link to the 'City' of Peer with ca. 16k inhabitants. Sure is a big city isn't it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer,_Belgium
https://www.peer.be/
Quoting from your first link:
On January 1, 2006, Peer had a total population of 15,810. The total area is 86.95 km² which gives a population density of 182 inhabitants per km².
Quoting from my link:
The European Commission applied a universal definition of settlements across all countries:
Urban center: must have a minimum of 50,000 inhabitants plus a population density of at least 1500 people per square kilometre (km2) or density of build-up area greater than 50%.
Urban cluster: must have a minimum of 5,000 inhabitants plus a population density of at least 300 people per square kilometre (km2).
Rural: fewer than 5,000 inhabitants.
Using these definitions, it reports that 52% of the world lived in urban centers, 33% in urban clusters, and 15% in rural areas in 2015. This makes the total urban share 85% (more than 6.1 billion people).
Peer (with less than 300 people per square kilometre) would be classified as rural. So yes - you are one of the 15% that should probably keep driving a combustion vehicle for the time being.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

There have been other “ev” ideas that didn’t make it. I wouldn’t bet my money on it.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Haha, EV's future relies on global warming.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 162706.jpg
This bloke dives an EV.

https://youtu.be/qpFXi4OHOAA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

In this part of my country, we just went through a stretch of -40 , -45°C. Four times in four days an alert came over the cellular network to please reduce electrical consumption as the grid was at or near capacity and rolling blackouts were imminent.
I can't imagine the state of affairs if even 1/3 of the daily drivers were EV.
Not yet anyway. The EV camp has certainly placed the cart before the horse.
Kevin
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

True points SkinnyZ. Setting aside the issues specific to EV's it may also be that our infrastructures are overdue for expansion due to both advancing technology and increasing population.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

skinny z wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 amI can't imagine the state of affairs if even 1/3 of the daily drivers were EV.
Really? You think the grid will get added capacity before the demand increases?
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

gruntguru wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:32 pm
skinny z wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 amI can't imagine the state of affairs if even 1/3 of the daily drivers were EV.
Really? You think the grid will get added capacity before the demand increases?
Well, in this country, capacity IS increasing. Mostly through renewables however there a re problems with that too. Overseas too with what looks the Chinese government investing heavily.
But is demand out racing capacity? That I couldn't say but I have seen the EV craze has tempered somewhat. Or from what I see on my news feeds anyway.
On a similar note, for an individual who has the ways and means, as in the right real estate and enough money, building an off grid system to generate and store the electricity needed to charge an EV would be the ticket. But it's easier said that done.
Kevin
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

chimpvalet wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:39 pm True points SkinnyZ. Setting aside the issues specific to EV's it may also be that our infrastructures are overdue for expansion due to both advancing technology and increasing population.
Cover the Sahara in solar panels! (It's a real concept).
Kevin
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

skinny z wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 am. . . the grid was at or near capacity and rolling blackouts were imminent.
So with 100% EV, the US grid would need to increase by 30%.
1/3 EV => grid would need to increase by 10%. I am thinking it will take at least 5 years to get there.

If the power companies can't expand at that rate I will eat my hat. (The leather one).
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

We're fried.

That's my comment at the bottom.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 184856.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:28 pm So with 100% EV, the US grid would need to increase by 30%.
1/3 EV => grid would need to increase by 10%. I am thinking it will take at least 5 years to get there.
I'm all for it although, stats like that, being what they are, can be manipulated to suit the cause.
I'm not disputing it, just saying.
It makes me wonder, because a state like Texas is struggling now. It's not a statistical thing. It's a news event. (At least it's news up here). The cold shuts them down.The heat shuts them down. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that Texas doesn't have a heavy compliment of EVs. If only because of the huge oil and gas sector making up that part of the economy and the people involved tend to fossil fuel orientated. Much like Alberta.
If I'm wrong, well, it wouldn't be the first time.
But, a 10% bump in grid capacity I doubt will be the cure

Keep in mind, although it may be a question of semantics, that grid capacity and or capability (the ability to network with other grids such as the ring around Lake Ontario/Canada/US) is not the same as generating capacity.

Anyway, I'm all for the improvements.
If my government wasn't so preoccupied with getting brownie points on the world stage for the "climate action" they blather on about, they could get on with what we really need. And energy grid and generating infrastructure that could rival the world's best. Then we'd be in the position to adapt without fear of living in the cold and dark. Remember, I'm a Canadian living in winter for almost half a year at a stretch. The prospect of no juice is an unsettling one.
I've got my 12 volt DC power inverter and jumper cables on standby just in case.
Kevin
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

It looks like makers are tooling up more for plugin hybrids?Tom
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

tjs44 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:57 am It looks like makers are tooling up more for plugin hybrids?Tom
The GM Volt was a state-of-the-art hybrid and they completely abandoned it, saying every new design going forward will be pure EV.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:09 am
tjs44 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:57 am It looks like makers are tooling up more for plugin hybrids?Tom
The GM Volt was a state-of-the-art hybrid and they completely abandoned it, saying every new design going forward will be pure EV.

jack vines
I'm not sure about the OEMs (and GM isn't either!) but F1 is stepping up the hybrid game.
The amount of fuel used per race is being reduced further, not to mention fully sustainable fuel, but the electrical power unit capacity is being increased further.

https://www.planetf1.com/features/expla ... F1%20units.

I think NASCAR should adopt this philosophy. Maybe it'll get back to that win on Sunday, sell on Monday mantra that used to be their mantra for the longest time. Before the cars became unrecognizable...
Kevin
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:28 pm
skinny z wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 am. . . the grid was at or near capacity and rolling blackouts were imminent.
So with 100% EV, the US grid would need to increase by 30%.

If the power companies can't expand at that rate I will eat my hat. (The leather one).
Then we will see you eat your hat.