Strip Poker 388
All aluminum 1100 cubic inch V8

Post by Strip Poker 388 »

I wonder how heavy this is??? :shock:

JCR
Pro
Pro

Post by JCR »

The original link is now broken but was here http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=159833

Its a Ford Sherman tank engine. All aluminum DOHC shaft driven cams. From the original thread, "Stock with all the tank accesories they weigh 1400 lbs. I've got it down to 960 lbs. now which is liveable, not much more than a blown cast iron Hemi or BBC."
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

We need some go fast parts for that baby. DARIN! WE NEED A MANIFOLD!!

:lol:

TOM
gimmemud

Post by gimmemud »

What kind of hp would you expect from that beast??
Unpredictable Pro Mud Racing.

200ft PRO MOD World Record Holder 2.484

MRA National Pro Mod Points Champion 2009
Strip Poker 388
Post by Strip Poker 388 »

the ooooh aaaaaah factor ,cool motor :D

Ford GAA tank engine. All aluminum 1100 cubic inch V8 used in WWII Sherman Tanks. These were gas burners rated at 500 HP and 1050 Ft. Lbs. of torque for military service, but are capable of much much more using mostly stock parts. They feature a 60 degree vee, 5.4 bore x 6.0 stroke, 180 degree factory billet cranks, pent roof combustion chambers, shaft driven DOHC's, 4 valves per cylinder, and dual mags. They are pretty high tech. engines, especially considering they were built in the early 40's.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

FWIW, I have had one ride in a restored Sherm with one of these monsters. It confirmed what you might expect considering a 6" stroke on a 180-degree crank in an aluminum engine - that Mustang better have some serious reinforcement of the mounts, frame and front suspension.

thnx, jv.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

gimmemud wrote:What kind of hp would you expect from that beast??
The exhaust manifold should give a clue.
Max HP doesn't seem to be the #1 priority.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
Warpspeed
Guru
Guru
Post by Warpspeed »

With a six inch stroke and some probably quite heavy pistons, that sucker is not going to want to rev, even with four valves per hole.

Sounds fairly comparable to a Merlin in many respects but with four less cylinders. A Merlin also has a bore of 5.4" and a stroke of 6.0" with a capacity of 27 litres (1,647 cubic inches)

Probably fairly similar in a lot of other dimensions. But I bet a V12 Merlin runs a lot more smoothly.
Cheers, Tony.
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Darin Morgan »

Thats exactly what I was thinking. The Merlins massive components and poor breathing potential make it wholly inadequate as a normally aspirated engine.

This sounds like a very expensive project. I am not sure of how good the internal components are but I suspect that in order to turn the thing up in and extract 1.5 to 1.6HP/cid your going to need custom pistons, custom billet rods, over size valve, custom induction system,custom exhaust system and a multitude of other custom components like cams, followers, gaskets and oiling system. I don't want to burst your bubble because its really a cool, neat and crazy thing to do but its going to take time and money. I would love to see the heads! I will inspect them and do a cost analysis on what it will cost to make these things work, and do it for for nothing. All you have to do is ship them to me. Hell, your only out the cost of shipping if you don't like what I tell you. I will tell you that its going to cost a fortune!
Last edited by Darin Morgan on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darin Morgan
-Induction Research and Development
-EFI Calibration and Tuning
Reher Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
http://www.rehermorrison.com
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

My point was about vibration. A 6" stroke 180-degree crank V8 has serious secondary vibration issues. The Merlin V12 was inherently in balance.

thnx, jv.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

What rpm range were they originally designed to operate in ?

Probably pretty low by todays standards.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.
Warpspeed
Guru
Guru
Post by Warpspeed »

As I remember the Merlins operated at around 2,500 rpm maximum. But remember, as an aero engine they were rated to run at that speed at full throttle continuously for hours. I would be surprised if a comparable tank engine ran any faster.

Personally I would prefer to mate a couple of 500 inch V8s to make a V16. At least all the hardware would be available off the shelf to reach reasonable specific power.
Cheers, Tony.
sleeper sedan
Pro
Pro

Post by sleeper sedan »

... engine RPM for aircraft a lot of times are dictated by prop [tip] speed. Not trying to say he's got potentially a 6,000 RPM tank engine on his hands... <chuckle>
Gear the car accordingly. Have fun with your 1:1 scale Mattel Zinger.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. Albert Einstein
Warpspeed
Guru
Guru
Post by Warpspeed »

Piston aircraft engines are often geared, and the Merlin certainly was.

The main reason is to raise the propeller axis well above crankshaft height to place the centre of propeller thrust more in line with the centre of aerodynamic pressure (drag) of the airframe.

This creates less pitching effect when you suddenly vary the throttle. It also gives the propeller more ground clearance necessary for landing. It also lowers the engine in the airframe to place the centre of mass in line with everything else. A good handling aircraft is an even greater joy to fly than a good handling race car is to drive.

Speed matching engine to the prop is also a factor.
Last edited by Warpspeed on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Tony.
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

PackardV8 wrote:FWIW, I have had one ride in a restored Sherm with one of these monsters. It confirmed what you might expect considering a 6" stroke on a 180-degree crank in an aluminum engine - that Mustang better have some serious reinforcement of the mounts, frame and front suspension.

thnx, jv.
Don't remember exactly but sometime early '80's someone showed up at Bonneville with one of these in a front engine dragster chassis. It was really "loosy, goosey" with flex and they wouldn't let him run (we were all terribly disappointed as it looked and sounded neat) fearing that at some high rate of speed might get sort of out of shape and kill him with the chassis flex. But yeah, a real project for the local drive in! :shock: 8)