50 degree valve seats in modern hot street builds: is it finally time?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-30563

Re: 50 degree valve seats in modern hot street builds: is it finally time?

Post by user-30563 »

I know Larry did a 45º 2.055 vs a 50º 2.088, back to back test.

A guy would need to look at the overall picture to gain any valuable info.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

portinguy wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:08 pm I know Larry did a 45º 2.055 vs a 50º 2.088, back to back test.

So, your a "new member" with 5 posts, but 1: you know who Larry is enough to call him by his first name, and 2: that he did a test like that and shared the results, what, like 8 years ago? :lol:
user-30563

Post by user-30563 »

Frankshaft wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:13 pm
portinguy wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:08 pm I know Larry did a 45º 2.055 vs a 50º 2.088, back to back test.

So, your a "new member" with 5 posts, but 1: you know who Larry is enough to call him by his first name, and 2: that he did a test like that and shared the results, what, like 8 years ago? :lol:
Is that a problem? I was always lurking but couldn't see any of the pictures without signing up.

PS, I'm a member on Larry's site. That is how I knew of the test.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

portinguy wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:15 pm

Is that a problem? I was always lurking but couldn't see any of the pictures without signing up..
No, its not a problem. You must be new. There is a bunch of that going on it seems, creating different names and accusations of hiding behind screennames to bash people. It just seemed odd, that someone new, knew that stuff, that's all. We are trying to make speedtalk great again. Sorry, wrong side of bed last night, after a crappy week
user-30563

Post by user-30563 »

Frankshaft wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Is that a problem? I was always lurking but couldn't see any of the pictures without signing up..
No, its not a problem. You must be new. There is a bunch of that going on it seems, creating different names and accusations of hiding behind screennames to bash people. It just seemed odd, that someone new, knew that stuff, that's all. We are trying to make speedtalk great again. Sorry, wrong side of bed last night, after a crappy week
I want to learn more and was told actually by Chad to search anything Darin, Larry, and a few others have said on Speedtalk. IMO, back when Speedtalk was great and people said who they were with examples. My take. I signed up because I couldn't see those pictures.

I'll keep lurking, much safer.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

portinguy wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:33 pm

I want to learn more and was told actually by Chad to search anything Darin, Larry, and a few others have said on Speedtalk. IMO, back when Speedtalk was great and people said who they were with examples. My take. I signed up because I couldn't see those pictures.

Hey Chad! :D
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Warp Speed wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Lol.. Welcome back. No HARD feelings :twisted:
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I hope it is Chad, I always appreciated his input.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I remember reading one here years back, maybe the same one. I questioned if it could be valid without including a cam test to time the different window areas in relation to piston position, I haven't thought to ask Larry his thoughts in past phone conversations but maybe he will join this conversation.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Warp Speed wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Damn that's funny in a quirky kind of way.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Warpspeed wrote (self governed by acceptable seat wear). A persons questions can sometimes be answered thru statements made, if one will read SLOW, multiple times is necessary and THINK about what has been said . :wink: Mark H.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Yes, makes one think: "As steep and narrow as metallurgy will support for the race distance." :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

MadBill wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:46 pm Yes, makes one think: "As steep and narrow as metallurgy will support for the race distance." :-k
Do you think 50 or 52 is at this point? I can see where 55 or steeper could be a no go for longevity.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!