when to use a dual pass radiator

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
when to use a dual pass radiator

Post by chevy art »

is it wise to use a dual pass radiator on a high performance street strip sbc. its a 400 block(they overheat at times). think i read an article published by the company called stewart that says it may not be a good idea to use this radiator for street use. any ideas on this matter, thanks art
statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: when to use a dual pass radiator

Post by statsystems »

chevy art wrote:is it wise to use a dual pass radiator on a high performance street strip sbc. its a 400 block(they overheat at times). think i read an article published by the company called stewart that says it may not be a good idea to use this radiator for street use. any ideas on this matter, thanks art
I can't think of a reason to use a double pass radiator.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

statsystems wrote:
chevy art wrote:is it wise to use a dual pass radiator on a high performance street strip sbc. its a 400 block(they overheat at times). think i read an article published by the company called stewart that says it may not be a good idea to use this radiator for street use. any ideas on this matter, thanks art
I can't think of a reason to use a double pass radiator.
Only one I can think of is, hose routing, not sure how often that is enough of an issue to justify downsides.
It does sound "cool", pun intended.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I think the short answer is: never.
Read the Tech Tips on this link, & you will probably be convincved

www.stewartracingcomponents.com
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Sorry, wrong link, try this one: www.stewartcomponents.com
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Use Evans waterless coolant, it's far cheaper than a new Rad!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

Geoff2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:40 am Sorry, wrong link, try this one: www.stewartcomponents.com
Very good link. Found some info that I had been wondering about.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert

Post by Racerrick »

Geoff2 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:39 am I think the short answer is: never.
Read the Tech Tips on this link, & you will probably be convincved

www.stewartracingcomponents.com
Tell that to a NASCAR team. LOL. Maybe Steward should do the flow test with a 3 core double pass. I use CR 3-5 core double pass on everything I can.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Interesting subject for me. I have LS3 based 427 in my 65 Buick Skylark and a Griffen dual pass radiator. The main reason I chose it was the inlet and outlets were on the same side and it made things easier hose wise and air intake wise. It does run a little hotter than I would like being it is a mainly a street car. So all of you are saying a single pass radiator would be better? I might be able to reroute the lower hose.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Er, most of us are not doing 200 mph all the time, so less air available to cool the radiator for the non-Nascar folks...
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

My results don't agree with Stewarts finding on several things .I don't think he simulates real world conditions.When I used a dual pass it didn't hurt or help.LATER I found that directing coolant to certain areas of the motor lowered temps the most.Been wanting to try a dual pass again.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

I think my problem with the dual pass is I have a 25% under drive balancer/pulley. From what I have read is the dual pass radiator has more pump restriction than a single pass. So in retrospect I need to change the pulley back to the stock 7.48" diameter. Looking at the ATI 918628. One of the reasons I was not concerned with the alternator and A/C is my idle is at 800rpm which is higher than the stock Camaro.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

At first I thought all being equal if it has the same surface area it's going to radiate the same heat out of the coolant. In the real world how efficient is a single pass radiator if the coolant enters the top of one side of the core and exits the middle or 2/3 down the other side of the core how efficiently is coolant flowing through the bottom third of the core? I have found instances that different zones of some radiators had a noticable difference in temprature. Are you going to have a more even distribution from the top to the bottom of a single pass core than you will with a dual pass radiator core with 50% less flow volume potential. On the negative side of the dual pass. Does it restrict the volume trying to pass through a radiator that only passes half of the volume of the single pass? I'm sure there are few more things to consider about this like parasitic pump losses by the water pump as it works a little bit harder? My vote would give slight advantage to the dual pass radiator but not enough to make a noticeable difference except in a few extreme cases on both sides.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

The better radiators have vertical tubes and flow top to bottom.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Then when high pressures are developed under race conditions, the pressure can force coolant past the cap on an up/down rad because the cap is on the pressure side. On a cross flow radiator, the cap is on the low pressure/suction side.