sbc intake compatibility question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

sbc intake compatibility question

Post by BOOT »

Ok stupid question time :) If I had a vortec alum intake and wanted to use it on some standard heads cause I'm cheap like that! Could I just drill the holes and would the ports line up? I rem having to use double thick gasket when using a standard intake on vortec heads that were drilled so would I have to mill the intake?. I don't have the intake to check but have a chance to get one at a super good deal.

Thx
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: sbc intake compatibility question

Post by af2 »

Think about the rear 4 holes...
GURU is only a name.
Adam
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I was just looking at the RHS single plane and it's dual pattern.

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I could be wrong, but I think the vortec intake is too wide. Adding gaskets gets you nowhere, and it might be too much to mill off.
So much to do, so little time...
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

You need to go over to NastyZ28 and read the "Vortec" sticky.

Here is the link.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56505

As for ports, if not mistaken, Vortec head intake ports are taller than regular intake ports like in our old "double-humps" so they won't seal up top.

But check me.

pdq67
cottonwood green

Post by cottonwood green »

Chevrolet performance Fast Burn heads are dual bolt pattern.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

...as are Fel-Pro 1255 intake gaskets.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1255
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

BOOT wrote:Ok stupid question time :) If I had a vortec alum intake and wanted to use it on some standard heads cause I'm cheap like that! Could I just drill the holes and would the ports line up? I rem having to use double thick gasket when using a standard intake on vortec heads that were drilled so would I have to mill the intake?. I don't have the intake to check but have a chance to get one at a super good deal.

Thx
The Vortec / Fasburn ports are taller than the ports on most small block Chevy heads. As to whether or not there would be sufficient material to port match a non-Vortec head to a Vortec style intake and seal the intake gasket...... Really, it depends on the head.

If you have a set of Edelbrock Victor Jr heads...... Yes. If you have a set of 200cc Dart Iron Eagle Platinum heads...... Yes, but there isn't as much material left for gasket sealing at the port roof. Standard Chevy non-Vortec OEM heads...... Plan on welding or brazing to add material to the port roof and then machining the gasket mating surface to true it and port matching it to the taller ports in your Vortec intake...... In addition to redrilling either your standard Chevy non-Vortec OEM heads or your intake in order to bolt it on.

Here is an excerpt from Randy Brzezinski's web site......

We have several intake port designs for the 200cc Dart Platinum cylinder heads ranging from 205cc’s to over 230cc’s. The port on the left matches the Fel Pro 1289 Fast Burn gasket. This is our “Super Model” port ( because it’s tall and skinny). This port will match the Edelbrock 2814 intake manifold. The Edelbrock 2814 intake is used on the raised runner Vortec Bow-Tie heads. The port on the right will match the Edelbrock 2925 Super Victor intake manifold, which uses the Fel Pro 1206 gasket.
https://www.castheads.com/cylinder-head ... n-porting/

Here is some port dimension info from Jegs' listing for the Edelbrock 2814 intake referenced on the excerpt from Brzezinski Racing's web site......

Edelbrock 2814 - Edelbrock Victor Series Intake Manifolds for Small Block Chevy Details

Super Victor Vortec Bowtie

Designed specifically for use with GM cast-iron Vortec Bowtie cylinder heads #25534351 (185cc) and #25534371 (215cc). It features raised runners that closely match the port shape and location of these heads, and is the best choice for racing classes that prohibit modification to the manifold. It features the original 6-bolt pattern and 7/8 inch of additional carb pad height (compared to previous raised-runner manifolds such as 350-2926 Super Victor).

Installation Notes:
Port exit dimensions: 1.14'' x 2.20''
Distance from bolt hole centerline to port roof 1.13''; to port floor 1.07''
Carb pad height = 6.77'' with 0° carb angle.
Recommended Intake Gasket: JEGS p/n 555-210003
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2814/10002/-1

Hope this helps,

Harry
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

You don't have to add material to the cylinder head but you do have to mill the intake ends and port gasket surface. Start with .030 on the ends and .060 on the port surface.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Was looking for another thread when I came across this one, totally forgot I asked this years prior to my action doing it LOL

https://youtu.be/tStMtkF3420

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Not sure how it works port alignment wise but my RHS heads are drilled for both patterns. I haven't dropped a conventional intake on them to check fitment.
Kevin
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

skinny z wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:03 pm Not sure how it works port alignment wise but my RHS heads are drilled for both patterns. I haven't dropped a conventional intake on them to check fitment.
Drilled for both, ports will most likely be too tall for a lot of manifolds. Thick gaskets will help with some.

Vortec port is almost exposed to the rocker cover rail on a fuellie head.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

I do know the fitment is about perfect between these heads and a Vortec RPM Air Gap. Something I'm thankful for.
As for a conventional intake, I've heard issues as you've described with folks trying to do the drilling on their own. How that stacks up with a production head, on my side, remains to be seen. But I suspect the same is true.

IMG_5661.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

Intake manifolds are cheap these days. Why ruin a good Vortec intake manifold.
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

rgalajda wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:28 am Intake manifolds are cheap these days. Why ruin a good Vortec intake manifold.
Agreed.
In my case it would using a conventional intake on these dual drilled heads.
But that's a matter for another day.
Kevin