Dyno tune up---100 HP

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

banjo
Expert
Expert

Re: Dyno tune up---100 HP

Post by banjo »

Be curious to see what it picks up on the track, You would think running it that long that lean would hurt it. I gave up on chassis dynos, I have made gains, never as big as in this situation, but car always seem to be slower on the track.
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

How the hell was that motor not detonating to the point of pounding the rods out the block with it so very lean, cold plugs or not!!!!
Oh, congrats on finding that much power and saving I would guess the guys motor.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

That lean, an NA engine rarely makes enough power to really hurt itself.
That overly lean conditiin slows the burn rate significantly also.............
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

bigjoe1 wrote:........ He was looking at his plugs to get his old jetting. By the way, his plugs were way too cold, probably making him think it was close. .........

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Hi Joe,

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Do you have any plug reading sources you can recommend?

thanks

Dan T
69-CHVL
Pro
Pro

Post by 69-CHVL »

Joe do you know if it was the so-called "Street" HP?
VINCE 69 CHEVELLE
502 EFI/6SPD/3.90
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Warp Speed wrote:That lean, an NA engine rarely makes enough power to really hurt itself.
That overly lean conditiin slows the burn rate significantly also.............
Absolutely, when first testing E85 I was so lean my engine was surging down track. Turned out the new regulator I had was not passing sufficient fuel. They may get a little more sensitive at real high compression, but the case above was so far off it wasn't going to hurt it.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

To clear things up--This was a new engine, but the carb had been run on his old 408 for five years, many people do not realize that just a lobe center change alone can require much bigger ( or smaller jets )The most surprising thing was that he thought it ran good before on his old engine. All I was trying to show is how much HP he would have been missing if he did not come in for the dyno session. Where else can you get over 100 HP for six or sever hundred dollars.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

^ couldn't agree more.

Had an engine on the dyno a few weeks ago, first few pulls it was fine, we were getting close to the tune.
All of a sudden it dropped 40hp from 5250rpm up.
We thought we hurt it, went through everything, leakdown, valve springs, lifters etc etc, all was fine.
Took a while to find it - the ignition system was pulling 10 deg timing in the top end, didn't do it to start with, just started doing it after a 6 or so pulls.
We got lucky, if it had done it from the first pull we wouldn't have gone looking - even with 10 deg getting pulled in the top end the motor was still making decent HP, we woulda just figured that was all it had.
Left alone it woulda melted stuff, in the end we had to fit a crank trigger to fix it.

If it had never gone on an engine dyno no-one would have known it was pulling timing & the motor would have died.
Fordracer347
Pro
Pro

Post by Fordracer347 »

I have to agree with Joe.

We have NEVER failed to find additional horsepower on the dyno. Some of the stuff you find is simple and some of it is more in depth but you always seem to find at least something.
GPM Race Engines
Custom Machining, Dyno Service, Automotive & Marine
http://www.gpmraceengines.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/GPM-Race ... 8632920064
Twitter: @ GPMracengines
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

KnightEngines wrote:^ couldn't agree more.

Had an engine on the dyno a few weeks ago, first few pulls it was fine, we were getting close to the tune.
All of a sudden it dropped 40hp from 5250rpm up.
We thought we hurt it, went through everything, leakdown, valve springs, lifters etc etc, all was fine.
Took a while to find it - the ignition system was pulling 10 deg timing in the top end, didn't do it to start with, just started doing it after a 6 or so pulls.
We got lucky, if it had done it from the first pull we wouldn't have gone looking - even with 10 deg getting pulled in the top end the motor was still making decent HP, we woulda just figured that was all it had.
Left alone it woulda melted stuff, in the end we had to fit a crank trigger to fix it.

If it had never gone on an engine dyno no-one would have known it was pulling timing & the motor would have died.
Curious as to what ignition, HEI or what? Phil D.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

ICE digital.

Hall effect sensor was getting upset by harmonics in the valvetrain, black box was interpreting that as the motor being shut off & was pulling 10 deg timing to aid starting.

Apparently it's not the 1st time there has been issues like this with the ICE gear.

MSD all the way for me now.
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

Good old salty experience is hard to beat. Nice work, Mr. Joe.

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

A friend built a 460 68 mustang in the 90's with a stock 850 and it ran low 13 teens, set the timing up to 36 degrees from 32 degrees and jetted up at least 6 sizes and it was knocking on the 11's. Ended up in the 11.40 range by tuning the motor and car. It took about 3 months of bracket racing to get it that fast, a person with a dyno and some know how sure goes a long way.
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

"Needless to say, he (now) thinks I am God, but I am just Joe Sherman Racing".

Maybe not God, but you do give Him tuning advice, right Joe? <grin> Good job!
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

We did talk about his headers/exhaust setup. He has never run any collector extensions but he has run with mufflers.WE talked about fuel pressure and water temp before the run down the track. He had run a best of 6.78 at a little over 100 in the eight mile with his old 408 engine. He will be much faster now if he can get hid car to work. Ha Ha

JOE SHERMAN RACING