More power switching to 4-2-1 headers?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

proheader
Pro
Pro

Re: More power switching to 4-2-1 headers?

Post by proheader »

how come the muffler kills the tri-y header so bad??

love this thread!!!!!
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

I don't know, what kind of mufflers on what? :?
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
Blog: www.exhausting101.com
proheader
Pro
Pro

Post by proheader »

there is a Schoenfeld bullet muffler these guys run in certain places for decibal rules.... just wondering why it would kill the tri-y header performance. If it is better than a 4 into 1 then when a muffler comparison is done, would you not runt he best header no matter what with the muffler??

maybe someone can attach a picture.....
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Sure miss you on the Bullet! :lol:
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

proheader wrote:how come the muffler kills the tri-y header so bad??

love this thread!!!!!
oh, ok, forgot that I had mentioned the Sprint car stuff.
410 Sprint car engines are beasts. They do not like to run very low in rpm band. When forced to they stumble and rumble around, mostly the fuel delivery system has issues :) .
Mufflers close the back door the same way a 421 and smaller choke do and way I figure you do not need to do that twice.
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

The Schoenfeld mufflers have sharp "pierced" metal things that hang down into the muffler causing turbulence, not an ideal muffler by a long shot, try a straight-though muffler with a smooth bore like a dynomax race-bullet. You can pretty much use these as collector extensions and I haven't seen any harmful effects.

Calvin, as long as the 4-2-1 discussion came back from the dead, do you design a header differently for an I.R. set-up like what's on a spring car? just curious
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

900HP wrote:The Schoenfeld mufflers have sharp "pierced" metal things that hang down into the muffler causing turbulence, not an ideal muffler by a long shot, try a straight-though muffler with a smooth bore like a dynomax race-bullet. You can pretty much use these as collector extensions and I haven't seen any harmful effects.

Calvin, as long as the 4-2-1 discussion came back from the dead, do you design a header differently for an I.R. set-up like what's on a spring car? just curious
Those mufflers are like those chambered tube styles. May not be best for flow but on the right motor they sound phenomenal lol.
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

900HP wrote:The Schoenfeld mufflers have sharp "pierced" metal things that hang down into the muffler causing turbulence, not an ideal muffler by a long shot, try a straight-though muffler with a smooth bore like a dynomax race-bullet. You can pretty much use these as collector extensions and I haven't seen any harmful effects.

Well, Learning a few things from playing with these 410 sprint motors this year, 4 bangers also more often have IR. Bottom line they (IR) are much more sensitive to what is going on on the exhaust side than 90 degree motors and the same is true for V8 sprint car motors. The 410's respond the same (to header changes) as a plenum intake once motor is up on the cam but below that you need to have it right... like I may have said before, if you don't have a transmission you need to spend a lot of time on the chassis dyno and stuff to throw at it. There is a lot there. Software won't help either. :D

421's help mostly with driveability and part throttle when you do not have a gear box, but they can change the reversion quantity enough to really throw builders and tuners a knuckle ball on 4 bangers to the point that they pose another whole tuning road to go down that most times can not be justified time or money wise.
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

exhausted wrote: like I may have said before, if you don't have a transmission you need to spend a lot of time on the chassis dyno and stuff to throw at it. There is a lot there. Software won't help either. :D

421's help mostly with driveability and part throttle when you do not have a gear box, but they can change the reversion quantity enough to really throw builders and tuners a knuckle ball on 4 bangers to the point that they pose another whole tuning road to go down that most times can not be justified time or money wise.
I'm not sure I can say names but there is a pretty well-known driver that races for a pretty well-known organization who's exact comment was, "I used to think there wasn't much of a difference from one header to the next.............boy was I wrong" This was said after they started working with a fairly well known header builder :P
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

A fellow North Dakotan? :)
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

dirtracr5 wrote:A fellow North Dakotan? :)
:D
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010