Cylinder Head Epoxy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ron hamp cycle
Post by ron hamp cycle »

I used Wooslys Z spar with good sucess in the manifolds of Jim McClures fuel bikes you would think if any thing would shake it loose one of those big twins would have done it .i found that goodson sells the same product in there container .i also use Belzona 1111 but @ over $ 200 A POUND YOU USE IT SPARINGLY i have seen it work for a time in small motorcycle ex ports .
PFM
Pro
Pro

Post by PFM »

All,

Any input on splash zone on "Air Cooled Heads" they see 300 degrees F. after shutdown / heat soak.

I have used JB Weld, good to 700 degrees F. and no troubles with gas but always looking for a better way.

PFM
89MustangGT
Post by 89MustangGT »

PFM wrote:All,

Any input on splash zone on "Air Cooled Heads" they see 300 degrees F. after shutdown / heat soak.

I have used JB Weld, good to 700 degrees F. and no troubles with gas but always looking for a better way.

PFM
No input on splash zone but I have used Devcon F on aircooled heads with no problems. I Devconed a set of intake ports over 10 years ago. I recently rebuilt that same motor and the Devcon was holding fast with no deterioration evident.

I also used Devcon on the outside of a VW exhaust port with not problems so far. I did put it on thick tough.
Dragrace

Cylinder head epoxy

Post by Dragrace »

Hello, been using Gougeon Brothers marine West system (http://www.westsystem.com/) for filler with no problems for years and there a local epoxy manufacturer, various filler material types depending on the ultimate finished characteristic and can be liquid or peanut butter consistancy for shaping. A-B 2 part epoxy surface preperation is everything and sometimes will still come loose, Devcon was at one time all that was available but things have changed and so has technology, MS from Manley is excellant for small areas with high heat association, j-b weld is weak in a high sonic vibration situation as a running engine. Hope this helps and is only my opinion. Thanks Rick
LaPouttre Racing Heads/Engines
www.racingengines.com
www.performancepartsonline.com
boby
Re: a-788

Post by boby »

Darin Morgan wrote:A-788 Splash Zone or Kop-Koat which ever name you prefer, is the ONLY epoxy I have ever seen that will stand up to the rigors of racing. If you use it with Alcohol you have to seal it with a clear coat paint in order to seal it off. You can use clear Acrylic or Emron clear coat. After you shape the epoxy to what you want, wash the head, dry it and clean it with Acetone. Then heat it up to 150 degrees and apply the Acrylic clear coat over the top of it and make sure to get the edges. Don't be shy with the stuff. Let it dry for 12 to 24 hours.

All epoxies will break down with Alcohol. Its just to corrosive. This procedure will make it last ten time longer.

Darin Morgan
R&D-Cylinder Head Dept.
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
817-467-7171
FAX-468-3147
Great tip Darlin, thanks!