BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

jmarkaudio
Vendor

Re: BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by jmarkaudio »

I too agree that there are still a couple key companies missing that should take advantage of the opportunity. They might think it will hurt them to enter if they don't show well, but I think not showing up will hurt them more in the long run. There may be a few customers who run to the winner for carbs, but I don't think there will be any going out of business because they entered. Provide a quality product and quality service and the rest usually takes care of itself.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

This was copied from Facebook.
Hi Revolution Dynos,

We have elected to not compete in your carb shootout for 2011.

In the last month it appears to have taken an ugly turn and became an unprofessional bashfest and there has yet to be a single pull even made.

This event seems to be an excellent way to promote your dyno, which as you know I am a serious fan of the concept. But I have talked to other carb shops and several engine builders and they just do not lend this event much credibility in determining who is truly the best carb builder.

As you know, building for an unknown engine is a crap shoot at best. However, we do that crap shoot everyday and its the nature of our business, but its not the best way to find out who is the best.

The real loss here is there does not seem to be a pay off or any benefit to the winner of this event. It appears the eventual winner of the event is already on track to be immediately converted into a tainted win by haters when the results are posted anyway and there is a good reason for it. By using an unknown engine combination you open the floodgates to the haters and excuse makers alike and it truly becomes a crap shoot (ie: I chose too small a carb or I didn't use the right boosters, or he got lucky and picked the right cfm as for some reason the combo liked a big or smaller than normal carb etc...). We have won events and experienced this "hate" first hand on several occasions and it is not pleasant to devote hours on end defending yourself on an open forum when you come out the winner and there are variables that haters denote as the reason you came out on top.

So I will pass for 2011 after we see how this inaugural event shakes out, as I have other projects to work on that will show our company greater benefit.

Next year as discussed on some forums (be aware I rarely visit forums anymore ...this info is simply e mailed to me) hopefully we can use a known engine combination to truly determine whose design reigns supreme. This will eliminate fodder for the haters and the crap shoot excuses and make this a true heads up competition and we will truly know who is best on this particular combination.

We have a great history of winning championships, challenges and setting records with known engine combinations and we battle every year with the same few heavy hitters in these classes (companies like yourselves) to try to stay on top and maintain our reputation in the industry. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose, but we are at or towards the top of that fight somewhere and with this revised rules concept we can get a true "Battle of the best" with no excuses or anyone proclaimed as a "lucky guess" winner.

However, thanks for the invite.

Patrick James
President
PRO SYSTEMS ONE LLC.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

. By using an unknown engine combination you open the floodgates to the haters and excuse makers alike and it truly becomes a crap shoot (ie: I chose too small a carb or I didn't use the right boosters, or he got lucky and picked the right cfm as for some reason the combo liked a big or smaller than normal carb

An unknown engine combination lol. That combination is pretty damn basic for a late model or a open wheel modified. And as far as not choosing the correct size cfm or the correct booster's. Well a average carb builder should be able to get pretty damn close and a expert should be able to hit the nail on the head. I'm just saying that statement above sounds like a excuse to me but what do I know I just a unknown carb builder. :D

http://www.devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

Just to clarify I'm not trying to bash pro systems in any way. It's just when this whole idea of a carb shoot out was being talked about. There was a lot of big name company's that said they would get in. An now that the time has come they are backing out. I was looking forward to going against pro system for the simple fact that he is in Fl. now. The biggest reason why I got into this was to see how I stand against the best out there. At least Braswell hasn't backed out,he has 1 or 2 championships under his belt. lol So I guess I will concentrate on him. Good luck to the guys that are getting in. And I will see you at BLP on the 26th.

http://www.devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

Mike Laws wrote:Notice:

Entry & entry fee deadline set for Nov. 11, 2011.
No entries will be accepted after end of this day.
Was the entry due date moved up, I know the registration form that I have says the 18th.

Thanks
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

banjo wrote:
Mike Laws wrote:Notice:

Entry & entry fee deadline set for Nov. 11, 2011.
No entries will be accepted after end of this day.
Was the entry due date moved up, I know the registration form that I have says the 18th.

Thanks
Sorry - my mistake! The entry form is correct. Nov. 18 is cut-off date.

Thanks.

Mike
Mike Laws Performance
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

Banjo are you in ?
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

I am very much considering it, think it would be fun to see how my carb tuning abilities stack up with all the big boys. I made a mode to the carb and I want to run it before I commit, also waiting on a response from Jmark asking him to run it for me beings I will not be able to personally attend.

Jmark, you have a PM.
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

Also just curious,

What data will be collected in the course of a pull?
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

banjo wrote:Also just curious,

What data will be collected in the course of a pull?
Corrected average accel rate between rpm points will be used to determine winners.

The dyno will be collecting the following data as per usual use:

rpm
e.t.
oil press
oil temp
water temp
fuel press
fuel flow
manifold press
afr per cylinder and per collector
air quality

The software calculates from the collected data:

accel-rate
torque
hp
bsfc
corr factor

Hope I'm not forgetting anything.

Mike
Mike Laws Performance
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Guys:

This internet radio show is doing a bit on the shootout. Scheduled for Tuesday night @ 7pm est.

http://www.shraonline.com/Radio.html
"To listen on your phone or to talk to us live:
Call in # : (909) 265-9152"

I will be on and hear that a few competitors will be calling in. Please call with any questions.

Mike
Mike Laws Performance
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

Thanks!
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

gmrocket wrote:
Steve Zicht wrote:
rookie wrote:I agree this will be the best advertisement as it is a nationwide word of mouth ad campaign and you can’t ask for any more than that.

Lets hope that the shops that have not entered the contest yet feel the same way. Its a win win scenario for all the contestants. SZ

it can also be the worst advertisement&could put you out of business! most of these carb builders do one thing only&thats build carbs..some customers may take anything but first place a failure and run right to the winner for a purchase.

i'm in the market for a top dog carb and i've held off because i want to see the outcome of this shootout. i know who i was going to go with, but i'm waiting to see how he does first. his customer service is A1 and if he ends up near the top and the power is close.,he gets my business.

That’s true.
As a competitive engine builder in the EMC challenges you know that is the chance you take but it helps you to know where you stand against the competition and lets your customers know you’re willing to step up to the plate and be innovative.
I’m with you, I can’t wait to see the outcome, mainly because I know it is a legit competition and not just an advertising gimmick for one particular carb company…..(I Hope)
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Now you know why that BLP is not entered in the Shoot Out and David Vizard is the Shoot Out steward to prevent any misgivings about any specific bias toward anybody. Im saddened that Patrick has elected to not enter the contest and is going to be watching from a distance to see the outcome. As I said before, no hard feelings from me if any shops shy away from entering. Glad to hear the entry cutoff date is the 18th and not the 11th. SZ
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

Steve Zicht wrote:Now you know why that BLP is not entered in the Shoot Out and David Vizard is the Shoot Out steward to prevent any misgivings about any specific bias toward anybody. Im saddened that Patrick has elected to not enter the contest and is going to be watching from a distance to see the outcome. As I said before, no hard feelings from me if any shops shy away from entering. Glad to hear the entry cutoff date is the 18th and not the 11th. SZ
I know i was trying to be funny.
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?