Forum Upgrade Ideas

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ClassKing »

My vote too - is - Better Search function and kill the 60 second wait deal.

thanks
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
DCK
Expert
Expert

Re: site

Post by DCK »

k-star wrote:Yea but anybody can log on and see the post, you don't need to own a shop to read/post there.

Keith
How about something like a min number of posts? A considerable number of course. That would seem it would lessen the likelihood casual passerbys or customers following the business you do.

I enjoy the business side and mostly just read to learn. I'm still looking to get a job in a shop when I finish cnc school. It's a huge heads up to those looking to find info on what they need to know and there is plenty of wisdom to pick up prior to that , hopefully, first day at work.

I understand where your coming from though.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

ClassKing wrote:kill the 60 second wait deal.
I've adjusted the Flood Interval to 15 seconds -- it's there to stop spam bots from killing the forum. We'll see how it goes.

Keep the ideas coming. Most changes will be implemented when I upgrade the forum. The Flood Interval was an easy fix.

Thanks,
Don
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

"I've adjusted the Flood Interval to 15 seconds "

Thank You. Let's hope it works out. :wink:
beth
Expert
Expert

Post by beth »

Mentally Impaired wrote:

On edit: the ability to change the font size to a LARGER one. My eyes aren't what they used to be ya know.
If you have internet explorer look down to the bottom on the right side. See the 100%? Click on that or the little down arrow to the right of it and you can change the size to whatever you want. It will change the size of the pictures or graphs also.
Rusty105

Post by Rusty105 »

OK, Please upgrade to phpBB 3.0.6. It is the latest version of phpBB (the same software as here, but looks almost nothing like it). Many new features have been added, such as attachments, photos, permission settings are VERY flexible, still open and free. the newest update also has many security features that are miles ahead of the current software here on Speedtalk. I am not a big fan of vBulletin, it looks very bloated, and the user control panel in the latest version is confusing. if I sound biased towards phpBB, it's because I have a forum running on the phpBB 3.0.5. if you want to see how it looks www.racefab.net The traffic is a little slow :( but it works nice.

Rusty
Rusty
[url=http://www.racefab.net][b][color=Navy]Racefab[/color][/b][/url] Race Car Design and Fabrication Forums
k-star
Guru
Guru

Post by k-star »

DCK wrote:How about something like a min number of posts? A considerable number of course. That would seem it would lessen the likelihood casual passerbys or customers following the business you do.

I enjoy the business side and mostly just read to learn. I'm still looking to get a job in a shop when I finish cnc school. It's a huge heads up to those looking to find info on what they need to know and there is plenty of wisdom to pick up prior to that , hopefully, first day at work.

I understand where your coming from though.
Maybe it’s just me, but I would like the section to be for the guys in the business only, no-disrespect to you. As an example the whole PBM China block deal. There was a lot of non-technical, emotional post there that were of no use to what the thread was about. As another example a few months ago I made a post about internally balancing a crank. There were some replies that stated I couldn’t do it. After it was done I posted my results and there were more post saying it must have been balanced wrong. It cost me $100 out of my pocket to prove to the customer that it was correct because he seen the thread here. The problem is that a lot of guys look to this site for a higher level of technical help. It’s still the best site out there for that. But not all of the help comes from other shops; it’s getting harder and harder here to tell the shop owners from the general population.

I network by phone with 5 or 6 other shops, it’s nice to call someone when you’re having a bad day and get some guidance from someone that understands. That’s not always handy though. It’s not always a good time for them to talk, or sometimes for me to talk when they call me. Some of the stuff we talk about wouldn’t be good for public viewing especially when you’re dealing with a pain in the rump customer. Those conversations have saved me from making phone calls that I am sure I would have regretted later. I know I have also saved other guys from doing the same. In those cases it would be nice to jump on line here and talk about the same stuff without the customer seeing it.

Last and I guess it’s me getting older. I am really starting to have issues with sharing information that took me a lot of time and money to gain with the back yard builder. I don’t mind if it’s one guy building his own engine and needs help, but when it’s some guy in his shed undercutting all the local shops, that’s starting to bother me. Don’t get me wrong, I am not talking about, how to set valve lash, or what intake to run, that’s not the issue. It would be nice to help other shops out with problems, with-out the lurkers gaining the benefits of it. I know that’s a very slipper slope, and it’s hard to convey my point in a typed word. We don’t want the entire site in the private sections helping each other and not on the general forum. I totally understand that.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
Mentally Impaired
Post by Mentally Impaired »

Thanks for the pm's & replies on how to make the text larger, much better now.

I thought of something else,
perhaps add a Forced Induction section (if there is enough interest).
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

Rusty105 wrote:upgrade to phpBB 3.0.6.
That is the plan
Rusty105

Post by Rusty105 »

speedtalk wrote:
Rusty105 wrote:upgrade to phpBB 3.0.6.
That is the plan
Nice!
If you want a list of add ons that will help in the backend let me know.
Rusty
[url=http://www.racefab.net][b][color=Navy]Racefab[/color][/b][/url] Race Car Design and Fabrication Forums
ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ClassKing »

"Flood Interval" ?

Sounds like about 1 am at th' bar.... 8)
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
Mike Rogers
Expert
Expert

Post by Mike Rogers »

I agree with Keith i would also like to see an only Business section were you would need a password to get in to that section.
Mike Rogers
215-674-5240
EQ Cylinder Heads
http://www.rogersperformance.com
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

If there is a section for just business's and only they be allowed in.
Then we also need a special section that excludes all business's, one where they are not allowed in.
DCK
Expert
Expert

Post by DCK »

Engguy wrote:If there is a section for just business's and only they be allowed in.
Then we also need a special section that excludes all business's, one where they are not allowed in.
Why? Just curious.
DCK
Expert
Expert

Post by DCK »

k-star wrote:Maybe it’s just me, but I would like the section to be for the guys in the business only, no-disrespect to you. As an example the whole PBM China block deal. There was a lot of non-technical, emotional post there that were of no use to what the thread was about. As another example a few months ago I made a post about internally balancing a crank. There were some replies that stated I couldn’t do it. After it was done I posted my results and there were more post saying it must have been balanced wrong. It cost me $100 out of my pocket to prove to the customer that it was correct because he seen the thread here. The problem is that a lot of guys look to this site for a higher level of technical help. It’s still the best site out there for that. But not all of the help comes from other shops; it’s getting harder and harder here to tell the shop owners from the general population.

I network by phone with 5 or 6 other shops, it’s nice to call someone when you’re having a bad day and get some guidance from someone that understands. That’s not always handy though. It’s not always a good time for them to talk, or sometimes for me to talk when they call me. Some of the stuff we talk about wouldn’t be good for public viewing especially when you’re dealing with a pain in the rump customer. Those conversations have saved me from making phone calls that I am sure I would have regretted later. I know I have also saved other guys from doing the same. In those cases it would be nice to jump on line here and talk about the same stuff without the customer seeing it.

Last and I guess it’s me getting older. I am really starting to have issues with sharing information that took me a lot of time and money to gain with the back yard builder. I don’t mind if it’s one guy building his own engine and needs help, but when it’s some guy in his shed undercutting all the local shops, that’s starting to bother me. Don’t get me wrong, I am not talking about, how to set valve lash, or what intake to run, that’s not the issue. It would be nice to help other shops out with problems, with-out the lurkers gaining the benefits of it. I know that’s a very slipper slope, and it’s hard to convey my point in a typed word. We don’t want the entire site in the private sections helping each other and not on the general forum. I totally understand that.

Keith
I can support that reasoning. Sorry to hear about the situation you were put into.