Any one ever have a vega, monza or early nova?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Alex

Any one ever have a vega, monza or early nova?

Post by Alex »

I am looking for a LIGHT car for my next project. Have always had camaros and malibus. I have seen guys with vegas that weigh 1800 lb.s. Are those cars really that light? I am leaning towards the early novas or a vega. Since I have no experiance with those cars, I was hoping some one could help me with the pros and cons. I would be looking for a low 9 sec. pass. What needs to be done on one of these cars to make them hook? At the 700 to 800 hp level is a tube frame required? Anything I should look for or stay away from? Any thing you guys can tell me would be great.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

Alex , I had a couple of the Vega's one with a 358 sb and the other one was a 406 sb on the street in street trim, the problem was TRACTION , if the engine was under the dash and you could touch the distributor while sitting in the drivers seat, I think it would be a very fast car. On the frame, tube chassis is the only way to go if you want to survive in a crash and not twist the car enough so it wrinkles the sheet metal. I will say on the street after 30 mph it was a missle but 0 to 30 was horrible.
Beretta

Post by Beretta »

Alex, I had a tube frame Vega it had a strut front end and a 4 link rear.
It was a good drag car and was good for a 9.10 sec pass at 149 mph. With the short wheel base and a BB in there it had to leave on the back tires.
Traction was not an issue as clong as the track was good....Here's a pic :D

Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

Now the Vega in that picture will get er done, Beretta thats a nice car with a great photo :shock:
spyder

Post by spyder »

The best place for Vega/Monza info
http://forums.h-body.org/
BEDNAR1320
Pro
Pro

Post by BEDNAR1320 »

HAD A MONZA,A TUBE CHASSIS,STRUT FRONT,STEEL BODY,GLASS FRONT END,DOORS AND HATCH-AN EARLY TOMMY MAUNEY CAR. IT WEIGHED 2100 WITH AN ALUMINUM HEADED BBC WITHOUT THE DRIVER.
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO WOULD RATHER BE ON THIS FORUM INSTEAD OF WORKING LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO BE RIGHT NOW?
Beretta

Post by Beretta »

Baprace wrote:Now the Vega in that picture will get er done, Beretta thats a nice car with a great photo :shock:

That was a good car and still miss it :( ....

I sold it to a guy in Conn. and never seen it again :shock:
racerguy

Post by racerguy »

My monza on autoimagery.com in search box on left enter Jerry Maxwell if you can find a monza that was a monza spyder factory v8 car or hro7 in the vin# then it has the heavier duty front end.Call chris alston he has frame rails /kit for these. JM
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa »

I had a Vega with a 425 Buick and miss it dearly. It was a basic Vega with the motor stuffed in. It probably wasn't that fast but it could roast the tires at will while cruising. The same weight balance that allowed that also made for some horrible braking.

Turning the key and having the body roll as that glorious Buick fired up made for a very satisfying car. Vegas with v8s are just a great combination!
Mike S.
myvega

Post by myvega »

I own and race a '74 Vega with a 680 HP Chevy small block. The car is back halfed with, are you ready for this. '67 camaro monoleafs! The car hooks fairly well, ( 1.44 60fts. footbraking on motor, 1.35 footbraking on NOS) but my et and mph numbers have always been a little out of whack. It'll usually run 10.30s @ 133 plus, so I know there's more et in it. A trans brake would probably really help. It is NOT as light as you think. My combo weighs 3140 with me in it. (I'm 260) The problems with Vega's are many and varied. One is parts availability. Stuff is impossible to find for them. Another is wheelstands. Their short wheelbase and high center of gravity is a lethal combination. I've had mine on the bumper more than once. However, they are a VERY fun ride and draw a lot of attention as a lot of new drag racers have no idea of their heritage. If you buy one look for rust, everywhere. GM built them with the rust in them already. If you're lucky enough to find a lifetime drag car, as I did, the rust should be minimal. Windshields are becoming more rare also. I've got over 1000 passes on mine in the last 9 yrs. and it's got no frame ties, only the cage ties it together, and the body is still as straight as a string. Doors fit perfectly too. My advise.....go for it!!!!!
Jim Sheaffer, Vegadude
street monster

vega monza race cars

Post by street monster »

I had a 73 vega WAGON tubbed VERY LARGE 600ci plus 4 link lenco and v8 springs in front with 4 cyl shocks traction no problem volume discount on driveshafts love a 9 inch 10.5 car
mike ramirez racing
Pro
Pro

Post by mike ramirez racing »

I think 71-73 vegas are cool, would love to have a bone stock GT but with a small block in it for a daily driver. They are certainly lighter than early novas. My 64 SS nova weighs over 3,000lbs with a full CM 10pt cage, all steel car execpt the hood, steel bumpers, all stock glass. 9" rear, 40 spline axles, th 350 and a iron headed small block. One thing with vegas is if you're doing a stock suspension deal or back half, the front A frames suck for oil pans. you need a vega oil pan and it still hits the frame. Also headers for those cars suck as well. If you can get the frame mounts from a V-8 monza your better off than the kit frame mounts. Or just build or find a chassis car and problems solved. Brakes suck too, Vegas stock are 4lug and you can't find wheels. I don't know what they use to convert the front to...

Now early novas are awesome!!! alot easier to put in a small block. Lots of parts available for that car. the front ends suck because the alignments always go out of adjustment an if you've seen some leaving the line you'll know what Im talking about. BUT there are fixes for that.
Easy to mini tub, or back half. You can get the weight down below 2700 easily. Hope this helps.
Joe Sherman is my hero.
heinz057
Post by heinz057 »

http://home.comcast.net/~philipionta/car3.jpg 355 with a 2004r ,not as bad as you think for the swap . can use some s10 parts. go to h-bodyforum.org lots of info there
jens gustavsson

Post by jens gustavsson »

this is my vega! (low buck but fun)

I have two engins, one sb turbo chevy and one volvo B20 4cylinder.

pg and dana 60 transmiton.

32x14" tiers.

laderbar and a full chassi+ wheeli bars (must have)

best time 9.6sec /377ci NA

try to run i comp eliminator in sweden next sommer.

What needs to be done on one of these cars to make them hook?
white that wheelbase it is almost the ather way.
how do you run them so the front tiers is on the grownd :) ?

Last edited by jens gustavsson on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.savarturbo.se
World’s fastest Volvo B20 door slammer!
Ladderbar

Post by Ladderbar »

I've owned the same Vega station wagon since 1976. It has gone through many changes, from a 12 bolt with 20 inch long ladders and a watts linkage Nash 5 speed, to a back half ladder bar 'glide car, to a full tube 4 link strut car. I drove the car on the street for a very long time, it was a back half ladderbar car. I think the most important thing, besides adjustable shocks, is to have a stout roll cage system. I had a 16 point cage in it, ran the stock front end with the inner fenders cut out and the front bars going right through the upper control arm mounts about an inch above the front bushing and right into the frame. Welded all the seams on the front end about an inch apart. The fire wall was cut and the engine set back and lowered. With a fairly strong small block (377 inch very old school) in street trim it ran in the mid to low 9.80's around 138 mph, with 60's in the low 1.30's. The weight was 2810 with me in it and I weigh 230. This was back in the late 80's early 90's. The short wheel base some times was a hand full but always fun. the next version, hopefully coming out next summer is the all tube car with the 4 link and a 434 inch small block.