boring from .030 to .040

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

runawy9

boring from .030 to .040

Post by runawy9 »

Picked up a 350 block from a friend that was supposed to be a standard bore. The heads have been off of it for a couple years and the cylinders have some rust in them but that isn't a concern because it will be bored .040 over. I get the block home and while disassembling it I found that it has already been bored .030 over. I measured the cylinders and they measure between 4.030 to 4.033 and I want a finished bore of 4.041. So, is .008 enough material to remove and make the cylinder true again? Should I start looking for another block?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Re: boring from .030 to .040

Post by Keith Morganstein »

runawy9 wrote:Picked up a 350 block from a friend that was supposed to be a standard bore. The heads have been off of it for a couple years and the cylinders have some rust in them but that isn't a concern because it will be bored .040 over. I get the block home and while disassembling it I found that it has already been bored .030 over. I measured the cylinders and they measure between 4.030 to 4.033 and I want a finished bore of 4.041. So, is .008 enough material to remove and make the cylinder true again? Should I start looking for another block?
Most of the time I will just torque plate hone them the additional .010" .

You need to leave at least .005-.006 for the torque plate hone anyway.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

The cylinders true again meaning that the block has been squared and decked and bored to a true 45 and 90 degrees to the main line.

If not as Keith said just plate hone them to the size your looking for.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
runawy9

Post by runawy9 »

CNC BLOCKS wrote:The cylinders true again meaning that the block has been squared and decked and bored to a true 45 and 90 degrees to the main line.
Yes, that is what I mean. The block will also be align honed. Thanks for the input. I really value everyone's knowledge on this board.
runawy9

Post by runawy9 »

What would be the best way to clean up the lifter bores of the light rust that is in them?
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

Take a piece of 1/4" dia rod cut a slot in it about 1" long. Cut it off about 6" long and put it in a air grinder.
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

robert1 wrote:Take a piece of 1/4" dia rod cut a slot in it about 1" long. Cut it off about 6" long and put it in a air grinder.
I don't think you finished your thought........ :wink:

I use the ball-type lifter bore hones.

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum