Mahle Piston Wall Clearance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mallow415

Mahle Piston Wall Clearance

Post by mallow415 »

Looking for some advice on a set of Mahle piston wall clearance. Just started putting together a motor for a circle track motor. 4.060x3.48 chevy with mahle pistons. Had to have a new block remachined for the used mahle pistons. Was checking piston bore clearance and i came up with .0045 piston wall clearance. Does this sound like its on the tight side. Called the machine shop that did the work on the block and he said that is what mahle calls for. I dont have the pistons sheet and couldnt find a spec on mahle web site. What do the people of this great site say?
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Mahle Piston Wall Clearance

Post by af2 »

mallow415 wrote:Looking for some advice on a set of Mahle piston wall clearance. Just started putting together a motor for a circle track motor. 4.060x3.48 chevy with mahle pistons. Had to have a new block remachined for the used mahle pistons. Was checking piston bore clearance and i came up with .0045 piston wall clearance. Does this sound like its on the tight side. Called the machine shop that did the work on the block and he said that is what mahle calls for. I dont have the pistons sheet and couldnt find a spec on mahle web site. What do the people of this great site say?
Yes that was the same# as mine new. I am running .0055 because the new bore was where it's at. I woudn't go bigger in my case but have seen a couple do it with no problems after 3 years.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
CARRITAS RACING ENGINES

Post by CARRITAS RACING ENGINES »

What carb are you running.
BOB CARRITA CARRITAS RACING ENGINES MACHINE/ENGINE-CHASSIS DYNO SHOP PH 508-674-2608
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

CARRITAS RACING ENGINES wrote:What carb are you running.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
CARRITAS RACING ENGINES

I asked the ? because we set up our 2bbl motors a little tighter than a 4bbl in the circle track world.
BOB CARRITA CARRITAS RACING ENGINES MACHINE/ENGINE-CHASSIS DYNO SHOP PH 508-674-2608
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

CARRITAS RACING ENGINES wrote:I asked the ? because we set up our 2bbl motors a little tighter than a 4bbl in the circle track world.
Why? If you spin 2 engines the same rpm you would need the same clearance I would think.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Less power = Less heat = Less expansion?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
mallow415

Post by mallow415 »

Were running a 4412 keith dorton series.
I just got off the phone with a guy that builds a few of these motors and he also said that is pretty much right on with the bore specs. So thanks af2 on your response.
CARRITAS RACING ENGINES

Because a 600hp 4bbl tour type circle track engine will make more power rpm thus create more heat in the cylinder than a 400hp 2bbl engine. I will also run a tic more clearance in a .060 over bore vs. .030 over bore because of heat.
CARRITAS RACING ENGINES

Mallow415 with a 4412 you will be fine.
mallow415

Post by mallow415 »

Thanks Guys! That will work for me!
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

On the Mauhle pistons the clearance is built into the skirt and if your block was plate honed 4.060 it should be fine.
And if your using a 010 block and going .060 over I hope your machinst took the time to sonic test the block as we don't find to many blocks that are safe at .060 over.

Good luck with your build Carl
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole