tunnel ram carb talk

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

tunnel ram carb talk

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I'm currently running a pair of 750 track warrior holley carbs on my profiler tunnel ram. The engine is a 12.9 CR 555 big block chevy race engine. I'm guessing it makes 850 hp but never been on a dyno. I'm real happy with the carbs and they have worked flawlessly. I'm rebuilding after a crash and have purchased a few items for an engine upgrade next winter. I bought a 4.375 crank and 6.535 rods to turn the engine into a 572 or 582 depending if i am able to stay with the same bore size. There are 2 pistons that are available. Je and Wiseco both sell a 1.060 compression height piston with a 40 cc dome that should put me right at 13.57 CR which is as high as i want to go with the fuel i am using. The increase in compression from 12.9 to 13.57 and the 17 cubic inches i'm hoping should gain me 25 - 30 hp. My question is if i'm reaching the limit of the 750 carbs. Should i go to 850's ? Since i am set up for 4150 style carbs ? Or would a pair of 1050 dominators be the way to go ? Would bigger carbs help me even right now ? the heads are AFR 385's and the cam is 280/288. I'm just bench racing ideas assuming i don't crash or blow up anything this season or that the world doesn't end which i kind of hope that it does.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
ClassAct
Guru
Guru
Re: tunnel ram carb talk

Post by ClassAct »

Why aren’t you running Dominators? I wouldn’t run a 4150 regardless of CFM rating.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

ClassAct wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:58 pm Why aren’t you running Dominators? I wouldn’t run a 4150 regardless of CFM rating.
I started out my tunnel ram life with an old weiand that had a 4150 flange. It worked awesome and i've upgraded tunnel rams twice since then but am still using the same carbs.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

You would gain with 850s but not for money spent. You would Def be happy with a pair of doms and see better improvement. I went through same thing with 900 plus hp sbc. Braswell told me when I went from 865 hp to the 935 setup that his 850s would still do the job. I ran it 3 times, about 7 passes. Went to doms and went from 8.04 to 7.87 in 1/4. Was it worth 3200.00 upgrade. Hell yes. Would it be for everyone? Who knows. It felt and acted like a whole different deal. I discussed it with him and he was amazed at gain I had. The 850s didn't miss a beat but they were out of their realm. And this was on 380 inch sbc.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Dave B wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 pm You would gain with 850s but not for money spent. You would Def be happy with a pair of doms and see better improvement. I went through same thing with 900 plus hp sbc. Braswell told me when I went from 865 hp to the 935 setup that his 850s would still do the job. I ran it 3 times, about 7 passes. Went to doms and went from 8.04 to 7.87 in 1/4. Was it worth 3200.00 upgrade. Hell yes. Would it be for everyone? Who knows. It felt and acted like a whole different deal. I discussed it with him and he was amazed at gain I had. The 850s didn't miss a beat but they were out of their realm. And this was on 380 inch sbc.
Are you running 2 circuit or 3 circuit dominators ? I've never really known the difference.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

2 circuit 1050s will be your best choice.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 pm
Dave B wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 pm You would gain with 850s but not for money spent. You would Def be happy with a pair of doms and see better improvement. I went through same thing with 900 plus hp sbc. Braswell told me when I went from 865 hp to the 935 setup that his 850s would still do the job. I ran it 3 times, about 7 passes. Went to doms and went from 8.04 to 7.87 in 1/4. Was it worth 3200.00 upgrade. Hell yes. Would it be for everyone? Who knows. It felt and acted like a whole different deal. I discussed it with him and he was amazed at gain I had. The 850s didn't miss a beat but they were out of their realm. And this was on 380 inch sbc.
Are you running 2 circuit or 3 circuit dominators ? I've never really known the difference.
3 circuit 850's,
4 circuit doms.. But a good set of 2 circuit would be easiest to learn with.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

Oooh nooo, 4 circuit 850s and 5 or 6 circuit Doms. Don't be shy. the new electric wrenches make changing plugs so easy
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

Tuner wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:34 am Oooh nooo, 4 circuit 850s and 5 or 6 circuit Doms. Don't be shy. the new electric wrenches make changing plugs so easy
We have no problem with 3 circuit 4150s and 4 circuit doms. If we didn't make more power with them we wouldn't use them! When I worked with prostock carbs not a single set was 2 circuit. Did we try them ? Yes . Did we slow down ? Yes!!!!!
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

Welcome to sloth talk,
Home of the 5/64 ring iron headed 1957 tech. Here we will beat to death 1.94 or 2.02 valves. Highly discuss my 2" flow master ex, is it too much ? Oh hell yes! Where the whole board reads articles all day and hashes out what they haven't tried but are some how deemed experts!! Be scared 😱 of tech!!!! It's evil!!!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Dave B wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 am Welcome to sloth talk,
Home of the 5/64 ring iron headed 1957 tech. Here we will beat to death 1.94 or 2.02 valves. Highly discuss my 2" flow master ex, is it too much ? Oh hell yes! Where the whole board reads articles all day and hashes out what they haven't tried but are some how deemed experts!! Be scared 😱 of tech!!!! It's evil!!!
That is so true most of the time ... LOL.

Having actually done something doesn't count for much here ...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

I'd be happy to give a couple dominators a try, it just sucks that it will cost an arm and a leg. I have no desire to buy used carbs that have unknown problems so therefore a pair of carbs will likely cost $3000 canadian dollars and the top for my tunnel ram will be another $550. I'm not in a rush. I believe what you are saying about dominators and it seems like going to 850's is a waste of time based on what you are saying. By next winter maybe i'll have slowly pieced together the parts i need. Thanks for all your help.
Brian
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I'd try the carbs you have and measure intake manifold vacuum at WOT when crossing the stripe.

This is still a bracket racing car right? It won't make you any more money, and the girls will love you just the same.

I would have gone supercharged at the this point. (on methanol).
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 pm I'd try the carbs you have and measure intake manifold vacuum at WOT when crossing the stripe.

This is still a bracket racing car right? It won't make you any more money, and the girls will love you just the same.

I would have gone supercharged at the this point. (on methanol).
It definitely already doesn't make money, and i'm happy with the girls i have now.

your point about checking vacuum is good and i can easily do that this summer. thanks for that idea.

I dreamed about going to blown alcohol and that would be cool. While the kids are hellbent on high tech gadgetry, I find myself heading even more into old school sledgehammer big blocks.

Brian
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

What was the MPH? You're saying you gained 100hp?